What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 v Raiders

2010Dragons

Bench
Did anyone else notice when hook was ask the question about his coaching job at the media conference yesterday. He was about to say “I don’t care” then changed his answer to “it’s not in my control. “
the writing is on the wall.
Hook is ready to leave.
Watch the media conference again you will see what I’m seeing.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
No shape, no variation in attack. It's like watching under 10's. There's absolutely no plan especially in the opposition 10. It's just a matter of "who wants a go with the ball?", before they run around aimlessly and get tackled where they received the ball eventually. Then Lawrie will take a settler, play the ball slowly, followed by slow service from Mbye, which sees the opposition in the first receivers face as soon as they get the ball. Next play is give it to the big kid Moses Suli and see if he can barge his way over on the last. Genuinely painful to watch.
But as bad as we were, the Raiders were just as bad as were the Titans last week. It was three tries all against the Raiders- Croker converted all their three tries- Lomax none. That six points could have given us a shot at a golden point win. Lomax used to be an 80% accurate kicker until someone got into his ear about golf and drawing the ball.
This is just another elephant in the change room that isn't being addressed.

thebigredv

First Grade
Did anyone else notice when hook was ask the question about his coaching job at the media conference yesterday. He was about to say “I don’t care” then changed his answer to “it’s not in my control. “
the writing is on the wall.
Hook is ready to leave.
Watch the media conference again you will see what I’m seeing.
The problem we’re in now is the media is keen to portray us as a club and supporter base as too keen to get rid of coaches. They crucify us when we lose and sensationalise it when we look for a better manager of our footy team. Can’t win.

We all felt a little ‘meh’ when Hook signed on 3 years ago. He was possibly the best of a weak bunch of candidates. Maybe there are some better options this time but it all feels quite familiar.

We are entrenched as a loser team of insignificance, the media like to keep it that way from what I’ve seen and we’ve got an inept board not capable of getting out of the hole.

The same media singing the praises of the Sharks and Souths who stood alone and even talk about bringing back Norths. I can’t help but feel like a huge loser myself and if I could have predicted this I wouldn’t have stuck around as a matter of principle.

Username

Juniors
I didn't get a chance to watch the game live, but have since had a chance to watch the replay...jeez that was a shonk of a game.

My thoughts on the game:

- I don't understand the last play options and running it 90% of the time? I noticed this creeped out of our playbook in the first couple of rounds.. is this because Sully takes pressure of Hunt and provides extra spark? In my opinion we looked more fluent in attack with him in the team, would love to see him back.

- Was a massive fan of of Lomax when he first hit the scene, but I feel like he has to simplify his game. I would love to see him just run it straight every now and then, rather than jinking and trying to shimmy like Gasnier, it completely stops momentum. I also feel like he could grab a quick play the ball if he stopped trying to prove to everyone that he's the strongest bloke on the field when playing the ball by grappling and flipping people off him. Just use that strength to get to your feet and generate momentum for the next man up.

- Is there anyone else in the team that can kick goals? Lomax's confidence seems shot.

- It's finally nice to see Kerr create some second phase play, he seems like the only player able to get an offload off. Bring him on when the opposition defence is tiring and tell Sloan to follow him everywhere.

- No comment on the Liddle & Mbye debacle. If you told me before the round that one club would make this mistake, I would put my life on it being the Dragons.

Last edited:

Username

Juniors
Bird, Mybe, sloan can all kick goals...even Hunt in his hey days could kick.
Lomax needs to be dropped as a kicker. Sloan and Bird are better than average goals kickers
I don't think we should give Hook another reason to select Mbye.. based on the logic that Sloan will be on for the 80, maybe he's the man? It would just be a matter of whether he's able to handle the pressure.

But as bad as we were, the Raiders were just as bad as were the Titans last week. It was three tries all against the Raiders- Croker converted all their three tries- Lomax none. That six points could have given us a shot at a golden point win. Lomax used to be an 80% accurate kicker until someone got into his ear about golf and drawing the ball.
This is just another elephant in the change room that isn't being addressed.
Lomax will never be able to emulate Jonathon Thurston style of kicking. Its like a slicer of the golf ball trying to draw the ball, you either have it or you don't.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Lomax will never be able to emulate Jonathon Thurston style of kicking. Its like a slicer of the golf ball trying to draw the ball, you either have it or you don't.
What he has currently is absolutely no confidence in his kicking. Whatever fiddling he has done or has been encouraged to do has put at risk one of his ever diminishing assets. Kid needs better advisors around him, simple.

With the right head coach and assistant coaches and support staff, so many of our players will improve if only through learning many of the basic fundamentals of how to play first grade rugby league.
A good kicking coach will not only adjust Lomax's kicking style, but could well take it a higher level of consistency.