What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 vs. Raiders Discussion + Voting

AuDragon

Juniors
How do you guys come to that conclusion, because stats don't show that...?

We have better hitup stats against the Cows and are pretty much equal against Souffs.

Big Pete

Referee
Stats. aren't the end all to be end all and if they were to be believed you'd fool yourself into thinking Parker had a good game that night when in fact he was costly.

Scott & Tamou just killed us through the middle and gave the Cowboys all the momentum they needed to beat us.

broncos70

Juniors
love the fact that Gillett is starting ahead of Parker. Just wish he'd get more minutes then parker..We'd get more points..I also don't rate Parker highly in defence..Great hitups, good offloads, but nothing special in attack or defence..

Vol-Crane-O

Juniors
love the fact that Gillett is starting ahead of Parker. Just wish he'd get more minutes then parker..We'd get more points..I also don't rate Parker highly in defence..Great hitups, good offloads, but nothing special in attack or defence..

Stop the crazy talk.

broncos70

Juniors
Stop the crazy talk.

don't get me wrong, I think Parker is a better player overall, but I do think that's solely due to the minutes he gets! Gillett is tons better in attack, and is a solid defender, whereas Parker is just solid in both areas..Parker plays more like an offloading prop. Plays much tighter than Gillett. With all the great forwards we have, I wish we'd go to other players more often instead of Parker due to the fact that they are more likely to break the line..That doesn't mean Parker is less effective though.

Vol-Crane-O

Juniors
Gillett is a worse defender than Parker.

Exhibit A - Gillett trying to shoulder charge Weyman 2 weeks ago and being flung to the ground
Exhibit B - Gillett trying to shoulder charge Galloway 1 week ago and being flung to the ground

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
He misses a lot of important tackles too that you wouldn't realise because the scramble is really good. It's never been much of a strong suit and while he's got a big hit in him he can be found wanting on occasion.

Also, I don't think Gillett's attack is better than Parker's. Okay, Gillett is more mobile, faster and (arguably) skillful but he doesn't make the ground Parker does through the middle and doesn't give us the momentum like Corey does through the middle.

I understand the idea that Gillett gives us a better balance than Parker and that's what I tried arguing back before Round 3 but now that I've seen it in execution I've had a change of mind.

Behold

Juniors
Personally I think Glenn is the most underrated player at the club from a media stand point. He is an absolute machine, and while I wasn't surprised that Parker wasn't made Captain for this year I was surprised that Thaiday was. Glenn has all the leadership qualities that Thaiday on the most part lacks, it is all well and good that Thaiday leads by example but his example is dropping the ball a hell of a lot in good attacking positions, being lazy in defence and being the porkiest player at the club. If Gillet deserves to start in front of anyone it is Thaiday.

Vol-Crane-O

Juniors
Personally I think Glenn is the most underrated player at the club from a media stand point. He is an absolute machine, and while I wasn't surprised that Parker wasn't made Captain for this year I was surprised that Thaiday was. Glenn has all the leadership qualities that Thaiday on the most part lacks, it is all well and good that Thaiday leads by example but his example is dropping the ball a hell of a lot in good attacking positions, being lazy in defence and being the porkiest player at the club. If Gillet deserves to start in front of anyone it is Thaiday.

Wow. I completely disagree that Gillett should start ahead of Thaiday.

All I can say though, is I am so glad we are blessed with this much depth in the backrow. Not to mention the young guys that can't crack the squad at the moment...

beads6

First Grade
I fully expect us to have a big win on Friday night. Raiders are missing several of their best players and we are relatively injury free. I don't think I am being cocky I am just thinking we are due for an 80 min performance and we should blow them away.

Leagueaddict

Juniors

Nah IMO don't think so on the Gillet/Thaiday point of view or the Glenn as capt. Thaiday has had some bad /medoicre games but feel after last week he's starting to hit it up a bit more solidly and getting safer with the ball control ("I hope"). With Gillet think he should come off the bench - great impact - and Parker will just get better with more game play under his belt. Agree about Parker - great defender and heaps of work load which takes a lot of the steam outta the opposition.

Raiders will come out firing with all guns blazing i reckon but we should be able to hold off the assault and get away with a big win!:)

Te'os outcome will be tonight but of course down here in aerial ping pong land we won't here jack sh** on the news or anywhere else on the tv! At least they've just started to show the friday night games on gem from 7:30.:D

broncos70

Juniors
I've never seen Gillett single handedly lose us a game with his defence, whilst Parker lost us the cowboys game by letting in 2 tries..Missing two big hits doesn't make him a bad defender. Costing tries does.

The metres aren't everything, our other forwards get us to the try line anyway, but Gillett adds way more to our attack and gets us tries. If Parker doesn't play, we see that other forwards just get more ball, and they can make just as many metres as Parker can if they get the ball enough times..don't get me wrong, I love Parker, but he stifles our attack and it frustrates the heck out of me at times. I do wish Josh Mcguire got more ball as well. His hitups are more effective than Parker's.

Bretto

Bench
I've never seen Gillett single handedly lose us a game with his defence, whilst Parker lost us the cowboys game by letting in 2 tries..Missing two big hits doesn't make him a bad defender. Costing tries does.

The metres aren't everything, our other forwards get us to the try line anyway, but Gillett adds way more to our attack and gets us tries. If Parker doesn't play, we see that other forwards just get more ball, and they can make just as many metres as Parker can if they get the ball enough times..don't get me wrong, I love Parker, but he stifles our attack and it frustrates the heck out of me at times. I do wish Josh Mcguire got more ball as well. His hitups are more effective than Parker's.

Keep in mind Parkers' ligament in his thumb was completely detached in that Cowboys game 5 minutes in, which could go some way to explaining the defensive lapses.

Look, I agree with a lot of what you're saying. We're in such a tough position, if you can call it that at the Broncos, with a backrow that reads: Thaiday, Glenn, Parker, Gillett, Teo - 2 guys have to miss out each week. How fortunate we are as a football side to be able to bring the likes of Matt Gillett on from the bench.

In any other team, Gillett is a starting second rower without question. And, to add to that, I would say half our QLD cup forwards (Frei, Anderson et al) would get a start at many NRL clubs also.

Gillett needs to refine his game. No question he's got a heap of skill - he's big, fast, has good footwork and has good ball skills too: He's kind of like a lean and nimble version of Dave Taylor. But, he's not consistent. I read an interview with Anthony Griffin earlier in the week saying the same thing.

It's pretty unlikely he'll take Parker or Glenns' spot, but he's a great impact player off the bench, and should do a lot of damage to teams this season.

Also, agree on McGuire. Personally I would play him at starting prop over Petero, and bring Petero in off the bench. But you can't very well do that to the highest paid prop in your side as it makes no sense.

Could be worse... I think.

Wallace, in the form he's been in will be a huge loss. I've never really rated Ben Hunt at all personally, so he's going to have to show me something special, or at the very least do a job on steering the forwards around, kick well and defend well. Norman is going to have to step up big time and I think this will be a big test for him against Campese and some of the big Raiders forwards. Baptiste will be a good addition if he can establish his running game straight away, and I'm sure Lui will do a job off the bench.

Last edited:

Latest posts