What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 vs. Raiders Discussion + Voting

Vol-Crane-O

Juniors
Yeah, Hunt has been up and down this season. I expect him to have a big game though. Lui did well in QCup last week, and I am excited to see him, provided he plays some defence. I remember last season in his 1 or 2 appearences, he looked completely overwhelmed in defence.

Behold

Juniors
Good to see Hunt getting an opportunity in his natural position. Hopefully he puts in a cracker so we know we have decent back up if Wallace is out for more than this week. I think his biggest problem will be adjusting back to tackling on the fringe rather than in the middle where he defends coming on as hooker. We aren't doing anything exceptional in attack that he won't be able to handle.
Excited to see Baptiste getting another chance, I thought he played really well for his limited opportunities last year, particularly for a young fella. Good to see Anderson dropping down the pecking order a bit (is he injured?) he is a solid starting prop but a fair one dimensional player, can't see the broncs picking him up again when his contract runs out.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Unfortunate for Wallace, hopefully it is just a minor problem and he will return shortly as he is in career best form at the moment. I'm still excited to see Benny Hunt get a go though, I remember Andrew Johns had a huge rap on him at one stage, but he never really managed to show it. I think the experience of playing off the bench will do him the world of good as his confidence would have grown and he will hopefully feel more comfortable leading he team around the park.

I am really really pleased to see Lui getting another shot, if he can improve his defense i can see him being a really good player one day, probably not at this club though. From what I remember of him last year he runs the ball strong but his defense is just what lets him down.

Hows he been going in QCup this year?

Bring on tommorow.

Bretto

Bench
I watched the Sunshine Coast/Norths game last week, and Lui was good. Had quite a few strong carries and really tested the defensive line and threatened to offload a number of times. Can't comment on his defence as I didn't take much notice.

diddi kong

Juniors
Good to see Lui in. As much as I rate and like Baptiste, I don't get why Hook won't give McCullough a full 80. I'd prefer to see Hala or Dodds get a crack, how are they going in Q Cup?
I think Hunt will do fine, you'd assume he and Norman will be able to re-kindle their combination.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I remember Andrew Johns had a huge rap on him at one stage, but he never really managed to show it.

Every young player Johns comments on is "phenomenal"

But you're right, Hunt gets his shot in his favoured position. I don't think we can expect him to turn it on in one game. All of a sudden this game got very very difficult.

I'm a bit surprised that they didn't pick Gibb/Slyney/Frei over Lui but I don't have any strong feelings about it. Hopefully he makes every post a winner.

Big Pete

Referee
I'm surprised Anderson didn't come in, Lui would have been my second guess given all his selections as 18th man in the past few weeks.

On form I would have selected Gibb but I suppose Hook wanted more versatility.

Excited to see Baptiste get given ago. I think he's our best dummy half runner and he'll compliment Macca well. With that said, I agree with diddi in that I'd love to see how Macca would perform over 80. He doesn't strike me as the kind of player who really needs a stint on the sidelines but that's just sitting on my couch.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
this is where i think Hunt's past few years as backup hooker may affect him. He hasnt had to be the playmaker in the team for several years I can see the possibility of him getting a little lost out there

AuDragon

Juniors
Pretty excited to see what our pair of young halves can do together.

Wallace is a big loss, but on the other hand this will hopefully drop him a bit under Ricky's radar. I'd like to see what a Broncos team can do with its full spine available through Origin!

I'm sure Lui will do the job, but I would've had Gibb ahead of him to be honest...

broncos70

Juniors
this is where i think Hunt's past few years as backup hooker may affect him. He hasnt had to be the playmaker in the team for several years I can see the possibility of him getting a little lost out there

Completely agree!! I still think Hunt is a better player than Norman to be honest, but he won't show how good he is as he's had no game time at all at halfback..The team will also need to adjust to him and realize that he's calling the shots now. Sometimes teams tend to go away from that, especially hookers..Just from experience that is..

I like Lui, and he's been building up to some time in first grade for the last couple of years.. I'd love to know what our plans are with all these backrowers and forwards..surely a few of em will get picked up by other teams!

squid

Juniors
Hmm, not too confident about winning now. But it'll be interesting to watch how the team fares. Even if we don't win, I'm hoping to see a few young guys step up and have big games. I haven't been that impressed with Hunt to be honest, so hopefully he proves me wrong tomorrow night.

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Yeah interest in this game has gone up a couple of notches! So glad we're playing the raiders, not that we should be taking them lightly but great test to see how we go without Wallace. Plus the whole Hunt/Lui/Baptiste scenario will be interesting to watch. Got a bit of confidence with Hunt at half so hope he goes well.
Bit of a mystery with Anderson though? One dimensional i'll agree but pretty solid in defence and go ahead and has the experience lately playing on the paddock.

broncos70

Juniors
Keep in mind Parkers' ligament in his thumb was completely detached in that Cowboys game 5 minutes in, which could go some way to explaining the defensive lapses.

Look, I agree with a lot of what you're saying. We're in such a tough position, if you can call it that at the Broncos, with a backrow that reads: Thaiday, Glenn, Parker, Gillett, Teo - 2 guys have to miss out each week. How fortunate we are as a football side to be able to bring the likes of Matt Gillett on from the bench.

In any other team, Gillett is a starting second rower without question. And, to add to that, I would say half our QLD cup forwards (Frei, Anderson et al) would get a start at many NRL clubs also.

Gillett needs to refine his game. No question he's got a heap of skill - he's big, fast, has good footwork and has good ball skills too: He's kind of like a lean and nimble version of Dave Taylor. But, he's not consistent. I read an interview with Anthony Griffin earlier in the week saying the same thing.

It's pretty unlikely he'll take Parker or Glenns' spot, but he's a great impact player off the bench, and should do a lot of damage to teams this season.

Also, agree on McGuire. Personally I would play him at starting prop over Petero, and bring Petero in off the bench. But you can't very well do that to the highest paid prop in your side as it makes no sense.

Completely agree. Gillett is gun, but is nowhere near as consistent as Parker. Don't get me wrong, I love Parker!

You're right about 2 players pretty much missing out every game.

I forgot about the injury to Parker in that game..That probably partly explains the uncharacteristic defensive errors he made.

I am pumped to see our non-origin players this year, Glenn in particular getting more ball, and the captaincy!

Vol-Crane-O

Juniors
I have a question:

Assuming the team that starts is as named (i.e. Parker on the bench), and Wallace is not playing - who kicks for goal in the early stages?

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I have a question:

Assuming the team that starts is as named (i.e. Parker on the bench), and Wallace is not playing - who kicks for goal in the early stages?

I read somewhere that it would be Hunt or Norman. I remember them having a shoot-off in the trials.

But Parker is going to start, right??? Part of his value is that he can go the full 80.

Vol-Crane-O

Juniors
I read somewhere that it would be Hunt or Norman. I remember them having a shoot-off in the trials.

But Parker is going to start, right??? Part of his value is that he can go the full 80.

I assume that now Wallace is out, starting Parker at Gillett's expense is a no-brainer.

But I was interested in who our 3rd string kicker is...

hellteam

First Grade
Pretty excited to see how we go without Wallace. Been impressed with Hunt this year, but its a different story coming off the bench at hooker than starting halfback.

broncos70

Juniors
Ben Hunt kicked goals in the u/20s when they were in the grand final so I'm assuming he'll do it.. I heard Norman is a really good goal kicker as well..

Not sure why starting Parker is a must, now that Wallace is injured..you might say experience and defence, but Parker won't be defending next to Hunt, and his experience won't make a difference to the halfback..I say we stick to the plan

Vol-Crane-O

Juniors
Ben Hunt kicked goals in the u/20s when they were in the grand final so I'm assuming he'll do it.. I heard Norman is a really good goal kicker as well..

Not sure why starting Parker is a must, now that Wallace is injured..you might say experience and defence, but Parker won't be defending next to Hunt, and his experience won't make a difference to the halfback..I say we stick to the plan

I more meant that if we don't have a recognised 3rd string kicker, then starting Parker is a must, assuming he is up for it.

But if Norman and Hunt are as good as people are hinting, then we should be fine. We need the extra attack through Gillett for this match, in my opinion