What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 vs Eels

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Is there any love left for Latimore?
Plenty of drop Latimore posters were harangued at the start of the season and told how silly they were and how valuable he is to the team..
Who wants to put a hand up to say that they think he should be punted after saying he was good value?

Basically I have been happy with Lattimore, OT, though there is certainly a case why guys like Kerr and Timm should be getting an intro to NRL footy. However yesterday was a different story. He was introduced only in the 2nd half when we needed a lift and sadly he could not provide it. Clearly Host, Lawrie and now Luc have surpassed Jeremy in their value to the team. But we know that Mary does not like changes to his team. After giving Zac a whole game he will probably revert to type and not consider other changes until forced by injury or Origin.

I was told last year that Mary never watches the NSW/Canterbury Cup if they're not playing before the NRL team so today's 50-24 victory probably doesn't register with the guy.

Glenn012

Juniors
Basically I have been happy with Lattimore, OT, though there is certainly a case why guys like Kerr and Timm should be getting an intro to NRL footy. However yesterday was a different story. He was introduced only in the 2nd half when we needed a lift and sadly he could not provide it. Clearly Host, Lawrie and now Luc have surpassed Jeremy in their value to the team. But we know that Mary does not like changes to his team. After giving Zac a whole game he will probably revert to type and not consider other changes until forced by injury or Origin.

I was told last year that Mary never watches the NSW/Canterbury Cup if they're not playing before the NRL team so today's 50-24 victory probably doesn't register with the guy.
I watched the Charity Shield and thought "WHO TF is this guy?" in regard to Timm. He ran really hard. From what I have seen of Kerr, I'd also start him over Latimore but not as enthusiastic about him. Latimore is solid and dependable. In a team with really good backs but weaker forwards he would be a good addition but that isn't us.

Old Timer

Coach
I’d like to see the actual quotes saying ‘how valuable’ he was. Don’t suppose you might be exaggerating their statements just a teensy bit there OT?
Only a person in denial would make a post like yours.
Anybody who championed his continued selection and there were plenty were quoting things like
Good for team moral, a great bloke, doing his job, no frills, dependable, know what you get, deserves his spot all of which mean in one way or another he is valuable to the team.
Others like myself called him a plodder, a plank, a road block and we’re howled down for it.
Can it be construed by your post that those that insisted his selection was warranted and deserved were talking about a player who they thought wasn’t valuable to the team?

LINESPEED

Juniors
Anybody who championed his continued selection and there were plenty were quoting things like
Good for team moral, a great bloke, doing his job, no frills, dependable, know what you get, deserves his spot all of which mean in one way or another he is valuable to the team.
Others like myself called him a plodder, a plank, a road block and we’re howled down for it.
Can it be construed by your post that those that insisted his selection was warranted and deserved were talking about a player who they thought wasn’t valuable to the team?

Yeah OT

The conservative mind is always out there putting brakes on the future - resisting sensible and often urgent need for change

Just look at the planet FFS

Crush

Coach
Is there any love left for Latimore?
Plenty of drop Latimore posters were harangued at the start of the season and told how silly they were and how valuable he is to the team..
Who wants to put a hand up to say that they think he should be punted after saying he was good value?
Yeah he has been horrible last few weeks. What has annoyed me is he is giving away penalties as well as plodding. Plodding is one thing but undoing the good work of others by giving away penalties isn't on.
Even against Roosters he pushed a player after playing the ball that could easily have lead to a penalty.
Just run hard, hang on the ball in contact and get up and play the thing FFS!

The Damo

Juniors
Only a very insecure person would interpret such mild disagreements as ‘haranguing’ and ‘howling down’. See what I did there? Does it look like a fair and reasonable argument or an exaggeration and deflection? Because that’s how you’ve started a post where I suggested you might have exaggerated. I note you haven’t actually quoted anyone in context to refute that.
Here’s another use of your tactic - can it be construed by your post that you conflate people saying they can see reasons for his selection as ‘insisting’ it’s warranted? And that the reason you do that is to make your own position stronger by misrepresenting and exaggerating those who disagree?
Anyhoo OT, hope you don’t think I’m howling you down, I just mildly disagree with your framing.

possm

Coach
Yeah OT

The conservative mind is always out there putting brakes on the future - resisting sensible and often urgent need for change

Just look at the planet FFS
Mary doesn't have a 'conservative mind' he has a mind with limited capacity. You can be your bottom dollar he is an ALP voter. Mind you I would say each political party has it's share of liquorish al-sorts.

Gareth67

First Grade
[QUOTE="Crush, post: 13519273, member: 47198
Just run hard, hang on the ball in contact and get up and play the thing FFS![/QUOTE]

Exactly that Crush , all fresh replacements that enter the fray should go at it full bore , give it their all for the length of time that they are there on the field.

And as you have also mentioned don’t give away silly penalties . Just very disappointed with what he served up on Thursday , any other forward ( even Allgood ) would had contributed more then Lattimore did .

A lot of good young guns wearing the Big Red V at present and now is the time for the maestro to put them ahead of J.L. - his time is at an end !.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Only a very insecure person would interpret such mild disagreements as ‘haranguing’ and ‘howling down’. See what I did there? Does it look like a fair and reasonable argument or an exaggeration and deflection? Because that’s how you’ve started a post where I suggested you might have exaggerated. I note you haven’t actually quoted anyone in context to refute that.
Here’s another use of your tactic - can it be construed by your post that you conflate people saying they can see reasons for his selection as ‘insisting’ it’s warranted? And that the reason you do that is to make your own position stronger by misrepresenting and exaggerating those who disagree?
Anyhoo OT, hope you don’t think I’m howling you down, I just mildly disagree with your framing.
Seems to me that you are trying to personalise it for your advantage in the discussion and you ignore the general nature of the original post.
IMO you need to learn to read and interpret things correctly and get a basic understanding of past and present tense.
The references to Latimore are all relating to previous posts which you want me to verify by trawling previous threads and posts attached to them, when in fact you know that many people posting their opinion on Latimore being a plodder etc were met with derision by those that saw value in him being selected.
So I made no assumption or assertion that you were howling me down that reference relates only to the pushback offered when not only myself but others expressed no value in Latimore's selection.
I am sure there are many in this place that would agree that there has been plenty of "pro Latimore" posters who offered many and varied reasons why he should keep being selected and as I stated that can only be interpreted as posters believing he brings value to the NRL team which is not a position I have ever held.
If totally necessary I will go back and find some posts showing clearly the position I referred to but I respectfully suggest that you and perhaps one other would be the only posters who think that it is necessary to do so.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Seems to me that you are trying to personalise it for your advantage in the discussion and you ignore the general nature of the original post.
IMO you need to learn to read and interpret things correctly and get a basic understanding of past and present tense.
The references to Latimore are all relating to previous posts which you want me to verify by trawling previous threads and posts attached to them, when in fact you know that many people posting their opinion on Latimore being a plodder etc were met with derision by those that saw value in him being selected.
So I made no assumption or assertion that you were howling me down that reference relates only to the pushback offered when not only myself but others expressed no value in Latimore's selection.
I am sure there are many in this place that would agree that there has been plenty of "pro Latimore" posters who offered many and varied reasons why he should keep being selected and as I stated that can only be interpreted as posters believing he brings value to the NRL team which is not a position I have ever held.
If totally necessary I will go back and find some posts showing clearly the position I referred to but I respectfully suggest that you and perhaps one other would be the only posters who think that it is necessary to do so.

Apparently Plod tells a good joke - which Waterboy said was good for team bonding.

Imagine Bellyache, Creeping & Robbo using that even partial ‘selection’ criteria for a multimillion dollar business

Tell u what Waterboy

I’d say Plod’s knee needs a rest, Turnstile tweaked a hammy at training & Rav had to fly back to Fiji on personal matters - if u need an excuse to put the best team on the paddock vs Eels?

Whaddya reckon?
You’ll’ve did good then

The Damo

Juniors
Not trying to make it personal OT, unless me using the same general sentence and argument structure that you used is making it personal. But there’s another example in your post of the framing I’m talking about. I didn’t see anyone meet your Latimore assertions with derision. I saw them disagree with you, mostly politely. I respectfully think that you framing those discussions/disagreements as howling down or haranguing is inaccurate, and does your own argument and the general tone of the forum a disservice. But it’s all good, I don’t expect you to go back and quote stuff, and the only reason I bring it up is because I do appreciate your contributions even when I disagree. It’s just those exaggerations that irk me. Onwards to the Eels, and here’s hoping we see Lawrie, Luc and Timm as our bench come Tuesday.

blacksafake

First Grade
[QUOTE="Crush, post: 13519273, member: 47198
Just run hard, hang on the ball in contact and get up and play the thing FFS!

Exactly, all fresh replacements that enter the fray should go at it full bore , give it their all for the length of time that they are there on the field.

And as you have also mentioned don’t give away silly penalties . Just very disappointed with what he served up on Thursday , any other forward ( even Allgood ) would had contributed more then Lattimore did .

A lot of good young guns wearing the Big Red V at present and now is the time for the maestro to put them ahead of J.L. - his time is at an end !.[/QUOTE]
Agree Gareth which is why I like Korbin.
He goes flat out when he comes on, although he’s good ft a penalty or a fumble. But that’s what you want from the bench. Anyway I reckon Latimore is carrying an injury which is slowing him down more. If that’s possible :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:

j0nesy

Bench

I was one who defended his role in the team earlier in the season as no-frills and dependable. I believe I also acknowledged that he was a bit of a plodder. unfortunately the last two weeks he has not been dependable. I’d now prefer to see one of the young blokes get a run. In fact I would have preferred to see one of them get a run against the Roosters. I definitely never “championed his inclusion” or “harangued” anyone about him. He just ain’t the kind of player to stir up that kind of enthusiasm in me.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I was just wondering if they was how you pronounce your name after consuming one too many BOAG’S ? :rolling_eyes:

Is there such a thing as too many Boag’s?

I wouldn’t have thought so.

Speaking of JB, its recently relaunched St.George has well exceeded expectations...it looks as though current supply will be exhausted by September. If so, there’s a reasonable chance it will become a permanent fixture for years to come.

A perfect refresher following a Dragons’ win.

Now, it just needs to get to the mainland.

Latest posts