What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 vs Souths

WestyLife

First Grade
I think Luai will improve and I don’t think he was that bad last night but all this talk of kikau is really just saying Luai was never that good, kikau just made it easy for him.

Luai got no tries and 2 try assists for the season. He’s given away more penalties then set up or scored tries. Throw in forced drop outs and he’s stil given away more penalties.

The few times he’s played direct he’s looked ok but he’s way to sideways right now, sometimes he has a good run but many times it disorganises us as much as the opposing team, and creates just as many errors from our team. If he won’t just play straight most of the time find someone that will. Someone needs to tell him he’s no Munster so get back to basics at least until he can find some form.

This right here. Explains it better than I have.

WestyLife

First Grade
Is he the only one playing like Shit though?
That is my point we have atleast 10 passengers a week out there. Yet Luai is to blame?

The spine are always held to account more. They run the team and are paid accordingly. Luai is also an Origin and test player. If you can't handle the expectations play centre instead of half.

martielang

Bench
The spine are always held to account more. They run the team and are paid accordingly. Luai is also an Origin and test player. If you can't handle the expectations play centre instead of half.

They should be. But why isn’t Cleary getting the same treatment? He’s the one with the most touches on the ball especially in the opponents 20.

Luai isn’t playing great but Cleary isn’t that far ahead of him. His deficiencies this year have been covered over by some huge clutch plays - which is credit to him in fairness. Last night some of his options/short kicking was horrendous irrespective of an injury.

Last edited:

BxTom

Bench
There was a point south's were so fatigued half of them could barely stand and Murray looked like he was about to be sick. World Cup Luai bends them over right there and ends the game. Club Luai looks like a dear in headlights because he's missing kikau. Kikau being out doesn't mean Luai can't execute a 5th tackle play.

So he can just pass the ball to no pone can he? If thee was no one supporting, there's not much Luai can do on his own.

soc123_au

Staff member
Don’t play him then. He either plays or he doesn’t. Shouldn’t get a get out of jail free card because he’s playing injured.

He’ll come good so not too worried about his form but people can’t pick apart Luai and then not say a word about Cleary.
Although Nath is down on form he is still making a few huge plays in most games. He gets a pass for that alone imo. Hopefully it's the groin niggle holding him back and the long turnaround before the Tigers gives him time to sort it.

Fangs

Coach
That Cleary injury has to be hampering his kicking game. That's usually our ace in the hole against a team like Souths. Their back three looked comfortable most of the night.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
They should be. But why isn’t Cleary getting the same treatment? He’s the one with the most touches on the ball especially in the opponents 20.

Luai isn’t playing great but Cleary isn’t that far ahead of him. His deficiencies this year have been covered over by some huge clutch plays - which is credit to him in fairness. Last night some of his options/short kicking was horrendous irrespective of an injury.
He's easily outplaying Luai and it isn't close

age.s

First Grade
The last 10 minutes of the game show why having good edge defense is so critical in the modern game. Critta made a couple of poor reads, but for the most part he was (is) excellent and as such we leaked very few points. We are as tough and committed a team as you'll ever see but if our right centre wasn't a good defender, or the edge as a whole isn't defending properly, Souths put 40 odd on us and there'd be quite a few other teams that would do the same.

soc123_au

Staff member
The last 10 minutes of the game show why having good edge defense is so critical in the modern game. Critta made a couple of poor reads, but for the most part he was (is) excellent and as such we leaked very few points. We are as tough and committed a team as you'll ever see but if our right centre wasn't a good defender, or the edge as a whole isn't defending properly, Souths put 40 odd on us and there'd be quite a few other teams that would do the same.
Souths attack was freakish for their last 2 tries. Some of the passes really dont come off 90% of the time, there was a lot of other moments in the game like that as well. Quite a few times I thought that a particular play would have normally resulted in an error but it came off. Some days the bounce of the ball just goes where you want it, I think Souths had one of those nights, overall I think or Defense did well.

Munky

Coach
I've roasted Ciraldo the past two weeks for his injury reshuffles to the defensive line.

Ivan was just as bad. Salmon bulking up to play more backrow (where he's been surprisingly effective) means he's lost what little ability to play centre he had and isn't viable cover for the backs.

Also, the moment the ball went left from dummy half with ninety seconds to go why wasn't Tago sprinting across in cover?

Every person watching the game knew they were going that way.

Last edited:

WestyLife

First Grade
I've roasted Ciraldo the past two weeks for his injury reshuffles to the defensive line.

Ivan was just as bad. Salmon bulking up to play more backrow means he's lost what little ability to play centre he had and isn't viable cover for the backs.

Also, the moment the ball went left from dummy half with ninety seconds to go why wasn't Tago sprinting across in cover?

Every person watching the game knew they were going that way.

Salmon to left centre and tago to wing was the play. Needed the right hand side defence to be at its best.

The young prop was also really good dominating bigger south's forwards and tackling well from marker.

Souths attack was freakish for their last 2 tries. Some of the passes really dont come off 90% of the time, there was a lot of other moments in the game like that as well. Quite a few times I thought that a particular play would have normally resulted in an error but it came off. Some days the bounce of the ball just goes where you want it, I think Souths had one of those nights, overall I think or Defense did well.
The Bunnies did the same to the Roosters few seasons ago. Congrats to Souths , if Panthers had won News Corp would find something trivial in the game to crap on about. Long season.
Luai is Luai and a Panther , which no.6 in the game would you prefer?

Latest posts