What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 vs Souths

WestyLife

First Grade
There was a set last night. We were up 8-6. Just got a repeat set. Cleary kicks it on the 3rd tackle... We ignore that because it is him?

Not the 1st time he has taken questionable decisions in games this year

Not like I said he has been a 10. He's been miles ahead of Luai and is expected to carry Luai apparently as well.

Iamback

Coach
Not like I said he has been a 10. He's been miles ahead of Luai and is expected to carry Luai apparently as well.

Which is why he got a higher rating than Luai.

He doesn't have to carry Luai but he is the one that should be ensuring we end sets well. An area we are struggling in

In 7 games he has 6 Forced drop outs, 0 line breaks. You can count on 1 hand how many of those dangerous swirling bombs he has put up. That is good numbers for arguably the top player in the game?

Both aren't being done any favours by the hooker. Kenny is too slow and Luke makes questionable decision BUT I doubt there aren't things right now that both halves aren't working on.

WestyLife

First Grade
Which is why he got a higher rating than Luai.

He doesn't have to carry Luai but he is the one that should be ensuring we end sets well. An area we are struggling in

In 7 games he has 6 Forced drop outs, 0 line breaks. You can count on 1 hand how many of those dangerous swirling bombs he has put up. That is good numbers for arguably the top player in the game?

Both aren't being done any favours by the hooker. Kenny is too slow and Luke makes questionable decision BUT I doubt there aren't things right now that both halves aren't working on.

This is all stuff we agree on BUT the whataboutism doesn't change that Luai has been terrible and needs to improve. If we want to discuss Cleary and his faults this year we can but it's a separate conversation.

I do strongly disagree on the end of sets. Both halves should be capable. We hear about the strength of their combination every week yet when Cleary trusts Luai with a 5th tackle he buckles like last night jumping around then dumps the ball to a flat footed Yeo.

Girds89

Bench
Some of the luai hate is starting to sound very Dylan Edwards hate like from years gone by.

Simple solution this week imo.

And it's pretty radical. Especially cause we can't take the tigers lightly.

But I'd put luai at 7. Nathan in the 6.

Switch their roles for a week. Let Nathan play on the left. Luai the right and in at first receiver.

If I'm Ivan I'm telling him.... "it's your team this week Jerome... I want you to steer the boys around, kick early, run as you see fit... Nathan will play off you."

Yeah it's risky but imo it could spark luai. A few nice runs and good kicks might spark him!

I also think it could really mix up our attack... teams know how we attack and how we play. Our attacking structures have been the same for 3 years.

Mixing it up a bit in a lower risk game could just be what we need to get our attack cranking this year and make it a little less predictable for teams.

Atm every team knows on the right it goes hooker to yeo out the back to Nathan who goes to a second rower or out the back to Edwards.
On the left it goes Nathan to luai on the short side.

Let's mix it up. Push yeo to the short side on the left and slide luai in to first receiver ect... go to luai all night than hit yeo on the left towards the end of each half and have Spencer running off his hip at an unexpected half etc.

Ivan is trying to get us to win games playing the same panthers ball we've played for 3 years.

We aren't the team we used to be.. we've lost to many players over the last few years and need to adapt.

The only chance Ivan has made this year is allowing the boys to offload more.... and take a few risks..

Players like leota have always been offloaded. He was from day dot but it got put in the cupboard cause we just didn't need to play risky footy... we had the attacking threats to score without that in our game.

This year we are offloading more and the mistakes have gone up slightly... but our defence has still been great..

A few more calculated risks are needed.

I'd start this week and get luai way more involved.. get him in at first receiver and taking control.

It will benefit the team in the long run

John Hamblin

Juniors
AS others have said its time to put Tago in the second row. Promote McLean because Tago hogs the ball too much and does not give good ball to his winger. How many tries have gone begging this year because he wont pass the ball.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Some of the luai hate is starting to sound very Dylan Edwards hate like from years gone by.

Switch their roles for a week. Let Nathan play on the left. Luai the right and in at first receiver.

If I'm Ivan I'm telling him.... "it's your team this week Jerome... I want you to steer the boys around, kick early, run as you see fit... Nathan will play off you."

Yeah it's risky but imo it could spark luai. A few nice runs and good kicks might spark him!

I also think it could really mix up our attack... teams know how we attack and how we play. Our attacking structures have been the same for 3 years.

Mixing it up a bit in a lower risk game could just be what we need to get our attack cranking this year and make it a little less predictable for teams.

Atm every team knows on the right it goes hooker to yeo out the back to Nathan who goes to a second rower or out the back to Edwards.

Let's mix it up. Push yeo to the short side on the left and slide luai in to first receiver ect... go to luai all night than hit yeo on the left towards the end of each half and have Spencer running off his hip at an unexpected half etc.

Ivan is trying to get us to win games playing the same panthers ball we've played for 3 years.

We aren't the team we used to be.. we've lost to many players over the last few years and need to adapt.

The only chance Ivan has made this year is allowing the boys to offload more.... and take a few risks..

Players like leota have always been offloaded. He was from day dot but it got put in the cupboard cause we just didn't need to play risky footy... we had the attacking threats to score without that in our game.

This year we are offloading more and the mistakes have gone up slightly... but our defence has still been great..

I'd start this week and get luai way more involved.. get him in at first receiver and taking control.

Some very good thoughts in here but a lot doesn't make sense as well. Luai seems the type who needs a hard kick up the arse and not a cuddle

Iamback

Coach

When it gets to the hooker the service is slower, Given guys less time the centres and wingers are rushing in, They know we aren't going to kick or pass behind them

Iamback

Coach

Canberra game attack should be the blueprint. Those 1st half tries

Kilkenny

Coach
I have a bit of a different take on the game than most.

I thought we were pretty good, obviously not a 100%, but did all the hard work and threw the game away in last five minutes.

Both the Bunnies tries were preventable but they had the good fortune on this occasion and given our recent run against them good luck to them.

It was a cracking game I thought and while very disappointing to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory South’s were due and some big calls went against us.

The only changes I would be making are those forced by injury.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
This is all stuff we agree on BUT the whataboutism doesn't change that Luai has been terrible and needs to improve. If we want to discuss Cleary and his faults this year we can but it's a separate conversation.

I do strongly disagree on the end of sets. Both halves should be capable. We hear about the strength of their combination every week yet when Cleary trusts Luai with a 5th tackle he buckles like last night jumping around then dumps the ball to a flat footed Yeo.

It isn't whataboutism, It is pointing out another rep half is struggling in the current setup.

I posted their comparison on the last page in a few categories Luai has been better than Cleary. That isn't terrible it is down on form.

That isn't how the side has run across the past 3 seasons. Kick metres alone shows Cleary ends the sets 75% of the time.

If you want that and play Cogger there, Then the area Luai has gone well Tackle breaks, Metres gained. Defensively Luai has been stronger.

You judge him and Cleary for that matter when they have had a good month of the same edge backrower outside them.

The side lacks combinations

Short pre-season, Any opposed session they did would of involved Garner on the left, Martin on the right both guys through injury have missed plenty of footy.

This is on top of losing Api and Kiks into a short off season, It is what I expected.

Hopefully injury in Martin's case and form in Luai's case force them out of Origin and they can get a few weeks extra to build up combinations

Last edited:

WestyLife

First Grade

We're saying Luai is way better than we are seeing and we want GOAT Luai to come out to play. I don't think that's like the old Edwards discussion at all since he was so bad he got moved positions and dropped. Very different situations.

If you're ever going to mess around the tigers is the week but I'd rather the team get some consistency.

Original Name

Juniors
Tago seems small. I just don't see him as a 2nd rower.
Watch every hit up he takes and watch how often he pulls through the line up against forwards. He's strong as for his size. Nath singled out Tago as the guy who terrorises him in wrestling sessions which given Nath is a pretty big dude for a half who is himself very strong for his size is pretty impressive.

But I do think asking for Tago to move right now is a bit of an overreaction and short sighted. Martin and Hosking will be our backrowers once fully fit. Where does his minutes come from? What's the point of moving him for 4 or so rounds then moving him back once Martin is back? It would feel like a panic move no different from what the Tigers are doing?
What injury did Turuva pick up?

Latest posts