What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 vs Souths

Fangs

Coach
Very good game from both teams.

Ended up being Turuva's injury. Souths have the best left side attack in the comp and they played that side.

mxlegend99

Referee
Nathans kicking game might not have been his best. But FMD his defence bailed us out a bunch of times. Catching Alex Johnston with a bit of space infront of him was incredible. He belted Walker and stalled the momentum in an attacking set on our line. Also got him from behind on a line break.

Not sure how the bunker thinks Tago knocked on despite never having separation from the ball as he picked it up. Or how Walker didn't knock on. Surprised they gave us the try for Critters hat trick though. Was waiting for thfm to say he knocked on.

After cooling down a bit, I'm devastated to lose by throwing away a lead like that, but I can't be too unhappy. It was always going to be a very tough game, with the short turnaround, niggles and injuries to key forwards. Souths (like a few other teams this year) played out of their skin and still needed quite a bit of luck to barely pip us. I'd back us to take them in a big game all things being even.

Still don't think the doom and gloom is warranted. We're not quite where we were but we're still the benchmark of this competition and have a lot of improvement left in us.
Perfectly sums up my thoughts too; when it come time at the end of the year we will still be the team to beat. We will need a bit of luck, but a 3 peat is a definite possibility.

I don’t usually bag our two time premiership winning coach, but I think if he had his time again he might throw Salmon into left centre and move Tago to the wing, rather than mess with our right side defence. Salmon was always likely to struggle on that side; no fault of his own, but that is the hardest defensive position in league (ie centre opposite the left hand attack of Souths) and he doesn’t have the experience or speed

. Or maybe it just seems obvious in hindsight…

WestyLife

First Grade
Because he shouldn't be getting it on the last, We have a $1.2m half for those situations.

My point is any good work he is doing is cancelled out by errors/A centre refusing to pass

If a half can't execute a last tackle play then they aren't a half. He's suppose to be the nsw 6 and his choice of play on the 5th is to dance around like a goose and throw the ball to a flat footed Yeo. He's been bad for far more reasons than no Kikau can account for.

Pjf04b

Juniors
Does anybody else feel that Penrith are being refereed differently to the rest of the comp?
Souths didn’t commit a ruck infringement last night according to Sutton. This happens every week. They have slower PTBs each week.
Any Penrith try with an iota of doubt is forensically examined, whilst anything goes for the opposition.
Phantom knock ons, sin bins and penalties are ruled against them every game.

Pjf04b

Juniors
The anomaly with the Tago no try is if it was over the line it was a try.
After this ruling does it mean that putting downward pressure on a loose ball that slides forward is now a knock on and a no try?

Iamback

Coach
If a half can't execute a last tackle play then they aren't a half. He's suppose to be the nsw 6 and his choice of play on the 5th is to dance around like a goose and throw the ball to a flat footed Yeo. He's been bad for far more reasons than no Kikau can account for.

He is an off the cuff eyes up player, perfect foil for the robotic/follow the gameplan type that Cleary is

You don't think the left has less time without Kikau? He would attract 2 defenders and as such even as a decoy would create space.

Every week there is a different edge forward out there, So that will take time to know how they play and what lines they run and so on.

A short off season, most on here expected a slow start and we are seeing it

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
I don’t usually bag our two time premiership winning coach, but I think if he had his time again he might throw Salmon into left centre and move Tago to the wing, rather than mess with our right side defence. Salmon was always likely to struggle on that side; no fault of his own, but that is the hardest defensive position in league (ie centre opposite the left hand attack of Souths) and he doesn’t have the experience or speed

. Or maybe it just seems obvious in hindsight…

Salmon would of been ok if he was fresh, With how Kenny is used. One of Lindsay Smith/Eisenhuth should of been replaced with either a utility or backrower.

Having the utility play big minutes in the backrow before getting moved is always risky

hindy111

Post Whore
I've not looked at stats but watching the game
Spencer and Crighton where awesome. It was one of Crightons best games I've seen.
Cleary was off. Luai I felt was good. Dangerous.
Edwards great and Yeo.

The problem is to many fill in players now. No Kikau and Korisau is a huge hit even when fit. But take out Martin and JFH and its to much.
If they play you win. This year Penrith will be there about. Can win it possibly but I won't be suprised if they didn't make the top 4 either.

Next year I can see a problem. A lot of juniors will need to be blooded. 2025/2026 is probably when you're side will be firing again.

If Turuva doesn't go off Souths don't make those line breaks at end. Salmon wasn't up for it. Crighton shuts it down if at centre.

Iamback hit the nail on the head. Hosking being hooked and replaced with Salmon, who then needed to play extended minutes when Turuva was injured cost us the game.

martielang

Bench

Did you see some of Clearys last tackle kicks tonight? Very selective viewing by the Burto fan boys.

betcats

Referee
Haha. All the luai haters.

That's what no kikau will do to a whole edge.

When you lose the best 2nd rower in the comp your whole team will struggle.

I'd go as far to say even I'd we'd kept him and lost api we'd have won all our tight games this year comfortably.

We are still learning how to play with kiks and api. If we can stay fit this year hopefully we can be around the 4th to 6th mark but the back end of the season and start to get into a grove after origin.
I said last week and will say again. What 6 would do better.

Every week we have a different edge backrower and Tago in horrible form, Both will improve as the year goes on

I think Luai will improve and I don’t think he was that bad last night but all this talk of kikau is really just saying Luai was never that good, kikau just made it easy for him.

Luai got no tries and 2 try assists for the season. He’s given away more penalties then set up or scored tries. Throw in forced drop outs and he’s stil given away more penalties.

The few times he’s played direct he’s looked ok but he’s way to sideways right now, sometimes he has a good run but many times it disorganises us as much as the opposing team, and creates just as many errors from our team. If he won’t just play straight most of the time find someone that will. Someone needs to tell him he’s no Munster so get back to basics at least until he can find some form.

martielang

Bench
Luai’s form has been average at best but he looked a lot sharper last night.

In addition to losing Kiks, he’s had 4 different backrowers next to him and hasn’t had the chance to build any combos/learn the players attributes. We have to pick and stick with Garner on that edge.

Clearys decision making was not up to his usual standard much like last week. He’s tough as nails and defensively a beast but he’s been well below elite offensive halfback this year.

Critta has an obsession with going the hero play in defence. South’s picked him apart and other top 4 teams will do the same. Lucky Clearys cover defence is so good. With the ball though he looked unplayable, he consistently performs with the ball v South’s.

Can’t fault Kenny and Luke’s effort but we definitely look like a team missing their Hooker. Not sure that can be fixed this year.

martielang

Bench
His leg was f**ked. Luai should have stepped up and done some kicking, issue is he has the weakest boot in the comp

Don’t play him then. He either plays or he doesn’t. Shouldn’t get a get out of jail free card because he’s playing injured.

He’ll come good so not too worried about his form but people can’t pick apart Luai and then not say a word about Cleary.