What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 vs Souths

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Like I said. World Cup Luai and club Luai aren't even close to the same right now. He is so much better than what we are seeing.
More to do with our structure rather than him playing poorly.

We are basically playing without a left hand side 3 man channel, cuts his options in half. That’s why you’ll see him having to shift into the centre or the right hand side of the field.

our left needs Martin running hard and straight.

WestyLife

First Grade
On the Tago no try play. Campbell Graham clearly takes Salmon out without the ball and everyone has seemed to miss this. Commentators and the Bunker. At the very least it is a penalty to Penrith. Take a look and you will see.

Yeah I was yelling at the TV. Ref couldn't hear me from the central coast.

WestyLife

First Grade

We are basically playing without a left hand side 3 man channel, cuts his options in half. That’s why you’ll see him having to shift into the centre or the right hand side of the field.

The revolving door of second rowers argument I have a lot of sympathy for. Salmon is filling in there and fit. Maybe just start him there and move Lindsay Smith to the bench on a more permanent basis until Martin is available. I've really enjoyed watching Smith play so far anyway he seems good for it.

Pomoz

Bench
There was a point south's were so fatigued half of them could barely stand and Murray looked like he was about to be sick. World Cup Luai bends them over right there and ends the game. Club Luai looks like a dear in headlights because he's missing kikau. Kikau being out doesn't mean Luai can't execute a 5th tackle play.
That makes no sense. World Cup Luai had no Kikau and was awesome, but I get your point, he is down on form.

WestyLife

First Grade
That makes no sense. World Cup Luai had no Kikau and was awesome, but I get your point, he is down on form.

That's basically it. He doesn't need kikau at all and we've seen it. Guy is a world class player when he's on. Maybe the origin talk got to him, maybe fatigue with the world Cup is effecting the roster overall who knows but if Luai can find that extra 5% we look a lot more comfortable.

hindy111

Post Whore
How many bad reads has Crichton had in defense the last few games? Rushing out of the line and costing us tries. If it wasn’t for Cleary covering him last night the score could’ve been a lot more against us. Yeah he scored the points, but also costing us points too.

Crighton made some.great defensive reads last night.
Turuva going off cost them.

Split second errors down that right side in the last stanza, but also some superb and fortunate handling from Souths under pressure.

I think I saw a bunch of your forwards out there on your right trying to defend strike speed, not sure what was going on there.

Nates last kick off, a bit off but still produced the required chaos.

age.s

First Grade
Also, the moment the ball went left from dummy half with ninety seconds to go why wasn't Tago sprinting across in cover?

Every person watching the game knew they were going that way.
Yeah that annoyed me as well. How could we have possibly been short there?

Brought to mind the early season game against Melbourne while back. Similar game state, but Kikau flies from one side of the field to the other on the same play to make a desperation tackle and hold up Olam over the line. For all people called him a lazy defender, just one guy from the left showing that kind of desperation and we're talking about a famous victory right now.

Iamback

Coach

Not just Martin but the same edge backrower for a few weeks, As @martielang said that is hurting the left side

Fangs

Coach
Crighton made some.great defensive reads last night.
Turuva going off cost them.

He made some shockers as well. The scrum try was very disappointing from Crichton.

Don't want to knock him too much. He did score 3 and did well enough with the boot as a back up goal kicker.

Iamback

Coach
That's basically it. He doesn't need kikau at all and we've seen it. Guy is a world class player when he's on. Maybe the origin talk got to him, maybe fatigue with the world Cup is effecting the roster overall who knows but if Luai can find that extra 5% we look a lot more comfortable.

If I was doing player ratings.

Edwards 9/10
Luai 5/10
Cleary 6/10
Kenny and Luke 5/10 also

Most of the side sits at 5 or 6/10 that is the point. Say he finds that 5% but no one else does then the result is still the same

WestyLife

First Grade

Edwards 9/10
Luai 5/10
Cleary 6/10
Kenny and Luke 5/10 also

Most of the side sits at 5 or 6/10 that is the point. Say he finds that 5% but no one else does then the result is still the same

Cleary has to be a 7 with those ratings for sure. His overall contribution to the team is still hugely positive. I stand by it. Luai can make those guys around him look a bit better if he himself improves, that's what good halves do.

Chins get the wins

First Grade

Edwards 9/10
Luai 5/10
Cleary 6/10
Kenny and Luke 5/10 also

You are heavily overestimating what Luai has offered in 2023

GongPanther

Referee
On the Tago no try play. Campbell Graham clearly takes Salmon out without the ball and everyone has seemed to miss this. Commentators and the Bunker. At the very least it is a penalty to Penrith. Take a look and you will see.
IMO, Tago's try looked more right than wrong if they were going by the letter of the law. His arm was carrying it in a way were they couldn't prove he lost it, and at the same time his body fell on it and giving that false impression he had lost control.

When we score tries, we have to score them in a way that we force that ball down, instead of going through the motions of thinking we have scored before we have grounded the ball.

This is another issue they have to improve on. Notice when the Storm used to score over the line, and they were so definite about it? This is the strong headed attitude what we need.

Iamback

Coach
Cleary has to be a 7 with those ratings for sure. His overall contribution to the team is still hugely positive. I stand by it. Luai can make those guys around him look a bit better if he himself improves, that's what good halves do.

There was a set last night. We were up 8-6. Just got a repeat set. Cleary kicks it on the 3rd tackle... We ignore that because it is him?

Not the 1st time he has taken questionable decisions in games this year

WestyLife

First Grade
IMO, Tago's try looked more right than wrong if they were going by the letter of the law. His arm was carrying it in a way were they couldn't prove he lost it, and at the same time his body fell on it and giving that false impression he had lost control.

When we score tries, we have to score them in a way that we force that ball down, instead of going through the motions of thinking we have scored before we have grounded the ball.

This is another issue they have to improve on. Notice when the Storm used to score over the line, and they were so definite about it? This is the strong headed attitude what we need.

It was no try because of his first touch where he pushed it into the ground to gain control in the field of play. That is a knock on.

Iamback

Coach
You are heavily overestimating what Luai has offered in 2023

You are underestimating what he has done.

He ave 69 run metres a game.
Cleary 45

He is 3rd for the side in Tackle busts. Only 2 behind To'o

Missed less tackles than Cleary

both have 9 errors

He has a line break. Cleary has none.

So he is down on form but has been far from horrible