What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 v Tigers

franklin2323

Immortal
He's equal 10th for linebreak assists and Jimmy is equal 7th.
Jimmy is first for forced drop outs and Nathan is 5th.

The players are busting the line and not scoring. Good kicks are being put in and not being scored from.

We go one out. Give it too Kikau then kick. The reason we get so many drop outs is teams read well and just pressure knowing the hooker won't run or cutout passes be thrown

Panther_Daz

Staff member
While our tactics are poor. One out stuff no decoys etc. I counted twice on Sat he went to Yeo with an unmarked guy outside him. Cut out pass or grubber to the corner are things in his control that he doesn't do

He lacks the footy awareness and instincts. Something MX can't measure in stats.

franklin2323

Immortal
He lacks the footy awareness and instincts. Something MX can't measure in stats.

Which is his issue. Follows a game plan well his problem is our game plan sucks and he can't think around that.

So while others doing things like backing up breaks would help points. No spine player is playing well where they are needed too

He's equal 10th for linebreak assists and Jimmy is equal 7th.
Jimmy is first for forced drop outs and Nathan is 5th.

The players are busting the line and not scoring. Good kicks are being put in and not being scored from.

According to nrl.com he’s 19th for line break assists (I can’t find the stat on fox)

The players aren’t all dropping the ball over the line, we’re down low on try assists because the right plays aren’t being created. You’re bending over backwards to prove something that just isn’t true. He’s not playing good footy.

8EBF1991-D17C-4BD3-BEEB-9B6F9D0B50AA.jpeg

Kilkenny

Coach
I understand statistics are a huge part of the game but at the same time I don’t need to fall back on statistics to see where our issues are.

While we remain three or four players short of being a good side our total lack of attacking structures or constructive set plays is mystifying? Surely it can’t be that difficult!!!!

Sime_11

Juniors
I understand statistics are a huge part of the game but at the same time I don’t need to fall back on statistics to see where our issues are.

While we remain three or four players short of being a good side our total lack of attacking structures or constructive set plays is mystifying? Surely it can’t be that difficult!!!!

It’s like we’ve forgotten how to football

Abacus

Juniors
I don’t think he has that in his coaching, look at his time at the Tigers too. They struggled to score points.
No argument re the coach. Its hard to be critical of the halves though if the whole team is a shambles in attack.

Insofar as what he's being paid, it is a 5 year deal. Plenty of time to justify it. But we need an attack coach ASAP. I liked the idea of the Walker brothers someone offered - we'd see a bit of variety then!

franklin2323

Immortal
No argument re the coach. Its hard to be critical of the halves though if the whole team is a shambles in attack.

Insofar as what he's being paid, it is a 5 year deal. Plenty of time to justify it. But we need an attack coach ASAP. I liked the idea of the Walker brothers someone offered - we'd see a bit of variety then!

That was me. Something a bit different given the limited options we have get them in to work on 5-10 trick plays that is all and when we struggle we pull out the move

Our cap is setup that we have 10 or so really big guys. Out of those only Tamou and JFH are playing well. Kikau even has the barge over but defence and actual setting up others is struggling. Get the 8 of those playing well we are a chance to improve

Genuinely think people are in for a shock if they think Nathan Cleary is going to dramatically improve. The main issue with him lies with his style, he’s mechanical. There might be some slight improvement but he’s never going to justify the contract he’s been given.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Genuinely think people are in for a shock if they think Nathan Cleary is going to dramatically improve. The main issue with him lies with his style, he’s mechanical. There might be some slight improvement but he’s never going to justify the contract he’s been given.

Nathan Cleary will always put in for the jersey and will develop into a very solid NRL player.

I have always said he can be our Townsend.

However we need more from him, he simply has to become a top 10-15 player in the game for us to get full value from his contract.

Due to his deal rising to a million per season over the next couple of seasons, we won't be able to afford the players around him like Townsend has had the luxury of having.

Nathan Cleary will always put in for the jersey and will develop into a very solid NRL player.

However we need more from him, he simply has to become a top 10-15 player in the game for us to get full value from his contract.

Due to his deal rising to a million per season over the next couple of seasons, we won't be able to afford the players around him like Townsend has had the luxury of having.

Yep, exactly.

If you look at the other contenders for the origin no.7, they all have similar stats to Cleary, but they’re all paid in the 600-700k range.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Yep, exactly.

If you look at the other contenders for the origin no.7, they all have similar stats to Cleary, but they’re all paid in the 600-700k range.

Tom Trbojevic, Latrell Mitchell and Kalyn Ponga are in their early 20's.

If you had 900k-1M to spend on any of those players or Cleary, who would you choose?

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Regarding tonights game, it would be nice to have a game where we score the first try and then go on to record a comfortable win where we can all relax a little.

The last time that happened was against the Warriors in Round 17 last year.

franklin2323

Immortal
Regarding tonights game, it would be nice to have a game where we score the first try and then go on to record a comfortable win where we can all relax a little.

The last time that happened was against the Warriors in Round 17 last year.

That was about the only time in 3 years we had that luxury

Even allowing for injuries on paper that is an ordinary WT team. Hopefully we turn up and put them away

Kilkenny

Coach

I don’t disagree with anything you say. In his defence his development and or all round improvement is being adversely impacted by our lack of structure and game plan.

If he played for the Roosters the fact is he would be a much better player than he is currently is.

I think it is more the coaching, lack of class in key positions around him and other factors that are hampering his development and improvement.

Latest posts