What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs Storm

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
The exceptional Coaches in the NRL know how to adapt to match situations and look to solutions that may help in the Future
Was surprised/disappointed Hook didnt switch Hunt to Hooker , and let Sullivan/Amone run the side from from 6 and 7 against the Storm , once the match was gone ..
The safety first/no risk process just doesn't cut it today
Hook’s thinking is age and experience is as/ if not more important than young talent. That’s why we have signed so many of Dad’s army. That’s why we’re piss weak up the middle

Mojo

Bench
put sullivan in his correct position and he will show you what you want
Totally agree. IMO Hunt should go to hooker and Sullivan halfback. The deadliest combo in recent years was Smith/ Cronk - both game managing, clever players, both with a kick. I believe Hunt and Sullivan could develop into a similar pairing. Plus Sloane at fb and Amone at 5/8. Get it together. Even if we somehow make the 8 this year we’re going to face Penrith or Storm in the first semi. Now is our chance to work on developing a spine that has some class and confidence.

Last edited:

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Some of the football that we played today was the best that we’ve played all season, possibly in years.

Far from the wrist slitting that is going on in here, I think there are a lot of positives to take out of that game.

The one thing that was really disappointing was the way that we dropped our bundle late in the game.
Agree with your assessment SBD82! First half best we’ve played this year. Weight of possession against that mob not on; they have the quickest, the biggest, the fastest and the cleverest player in the comp. Still we played with some good shape and purpose in the first half. Pity that try before half time.
Aside, the way that game was officiated made it like glorified game of touch football. I know we’re not quick, but the speed in that game was ridiculous imo.

Mojo

Bench
agree but sully is a natural half back and we should get him there, big mistake not recruiting another hooker in the off season
Sullivan and Hunt - both good 9’s. They’re virtually interchangeable covering 7 and 9 together. We’ve also got Mulheisen coming through. We’ve got the positions well covered. Sloane and Amone at 1 and 6, respectively, Mbye at 14. Go for it!

Hunt leads the comp for line engagements, whereas Macca doesn’t have a kick or dummy half speed. IMO Hunt‘s a much better hooker than he is a halfback.

We already have the talent for a very good attacking side. We’ve waited years and years. Let’s go for it while we’ve got the chance and some depth and experience available for a decent bench.

Last edited:

justadragon

Bench
Sullivan and Hunt - both good 9’s. They’re virtually interchangeable. We’ve also got Mulheisen coming through. We’ve got the positions well covered. Sloane and Amone at 1 and 6, respectively, Mbye at 14. Go for it!
agree, i just cant see griffin putting hunt at 9 or allowing a complete rookie halves pairing, my best hope would be sullivan at 7 amone 14 hunt 6 and mbye 9 and maybe sloan/ramsey 1

justadragon

Bench
Agree i would be playing him at 7 but our Genius wont move Hunt to 9 ...... So Sully to 9 will be better than Macca .....
totally agree mate, who knows what will happen this week, its all become very complicated now, we have no plan

Mojo

Bench
I’m at the point where I don’t even want to think about Hook’s selections. It’s as frustrating as all #*@$ that he selects such a clunky side week in and week out. We’ve had years of coaches shuffling players around.

Macca doesn’t cut it any more (sorry mate). We cannot continue to tie our team‘s performance and the potential for these young guys to develop in skills and confidence to the coach‘s old favourite having a run. It’s a painfully consistent problem with Hook.

I’m sick of it. I don’t care how many more games we win or lose this year. I just wan‘t to see a consistent side that is building in skills and confidence.

justadragon

Bench
I’m at the point where I don’t even want to think about Hook’s selections. It’s as frustrating as all #*@$ that he selects such a clunky side week in and week out. We’ve had years of coaches shuffling players around.

Macca doesn’t cut it any more (sorry mate). We cannot continue to tie our team‘s performance and the potential for these young guys to develop in skills and confidence to the coach‘s old favourite having a run. It’s a painfully consistent problem with Hook.

I’m sick of it. I don’t care how many more games we win or lose this year. I just wan‘t to see a consistent side that is building in skills and confidence.
agree 100% mojo, time in their position is what is needed, good games bad games just give them time,

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Totally agree. IMO Hunt should go to hooker and Sullivan halfback. The deadliest combo in recent years was Smith/ Cronk - both game managing, clever players, both with a kick. I believe Hunt and Sullivan could develop into a similar pairing. Plus Sloane at fb and Amone at 5/8. Get it together. Even if we somehow make the 8 this year we’re going to face Penrith or Storm in the first semi. Now is our chance to work on developing a spine that has some class and confidence.
Not to mention speed- with Mbye, Bird, Hunt and McCullough, our spine is geriatrically slow. Ben Hunt had one of his worst defensive games yesterday and it was mainly to do with the speed of Grant, Hughes, Pap and even Brandon Smith whizzing past him down the middle.

71saintsimon

Juniors
As long as griffin is coach nothing wil ever change , his stuck in his old boring ways happy to just plod along , stil can’t understand what did tyrel Sloan do wrong to get dropped ? Can’t understand what Moses embye offers ? While McCullough should be sitting right along side griffin as he offers nothing no Ruck Speed or creativity, the team overal lacks speed right across the park while Ben hunt never ever sets up his out side backs only does. He throw short hospital passes to slow forwards running into brick walls and he generally has no idea how to kick on the last , the McGregor coaching manual of playing old players past there used by date instead of bloodimg ypungers on the rise and giving them a chance to blossom into first graders seems to have been passed on to griffin and nothing wil change til there is a major clean out at the very top

BLM01

First Grade
Not to mention speed- with Mbye, Bird, Hunt and McCullough, our spine is geriatrically slow. Ben Hunt had one of his worst defensive games yesterday and it was mainly to do with the speed of Grant, Hughes, Pap and even Brandon Smith whizzing past him down the middle.
Yeh hopefully Hunt is hitting a flat spot especially in defence right before origin is selected and they overlook him for a bench spot

BLM01

First Grade
I needed to address that query to Carlton as he first alluded to a 'game changer'.

That is what we need a former beach sprint champ as dummy half. Seriously, we had a Cook clone in McIness and let him go, replacing him with a tortoise. Have yet to see much of Muhleisen. Fairly impressive stats with 7th most dummy half runs and third best defensive record .
We did not let him go, he wanted to leave for a big contract (good luck to him) over 4? years playing back up 9 and mainly a 13 from the bench.
I'd love him our side ATM but it is about value for $$$