What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs Storm

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Out of all the squad these would be players u would be building a team around in 2023:

Molo
Sua
Suli
Hunt
McGuire
Rava
JDB
Sullivan

Sloan possibly
Bird possibly

honestly the rest are just bog average footballers
Rava out though as well, possibly.
Doesn't do enough for mine but maybe it's the fact he never gets enough oportunities.
We're a long way off but at least as mentioned earlier, we all expected it and know it. Under no illusions here, sadly.

denis preston

First Grade
Yes imagine being a warriors supporter with their wealthy ownership amd the pick of a country to bolster their squad if they can find any RL talent.
Buying so called superstars does nothing if you are not coached well and have the right squad around them
Warriors played against 12 men for 60, 11 for 10 and did not score 1 point when led 10-6 with 50 odd to go,
Now imagine their forum
Back to us, we were poor last 50 mins and defence fell to a heap
Some arse kicking needed before the Titans who will also get a coach rev up thanks to the Roosters
And the league favours ANOTHER NZ side in. The comp !

kit66

Bench
What happened to last week's game plan of early kicks to turn the opposition's pack around, don't give the opposition any broken field play - set restarts only and above all, discipline.
All out the window. Good work in the first half bought undone by wholesale changes around the 22 minute mark, replacing Molo, JDB and Sims all within a few minutes of each other - stoopid move.
I listened on the radio and have yet to watch the game or highlights but it sounds like the ref punished us early seemingly with little justification.
I honestly thought we'd put in a better showing but I can't say I based that on form, logic or reality. Wishful thinking doesn't get you far.

thebigredv

First Grade
i see your point, but i would like to see amone sulivan and sloan in their respective positions, i really think sullivan is the key to the other 2, we are yet to see this,

By now you'd want Amone to making the highlight reels, even just a little, in whatever position he plays. Sloan is not doing enough to break into first grade in his desired position.

Sullivan looks every bit the first grader and needs to start at 6. Give him a go.

Griffin described the first half an arm wrestle. I tend to agree only from the outset it was obvious we had nothing up our sleeve. Something is very wrong either with Amone or the way we are structured for him to have less impact than Norman.

George Sancti

Juniors
I have been out of action for a while but have been keeping up with the forum posts and I was enjoying the positivity of the past three weeks. Unfortunately today was not great.

I do not believe that we have a poor team. The recruitment of Molo, Su’A and Suli was very promising and Woods, Burgess and Mbye were worth the gamble. Unfortunately, the coaching arrangement has not worked. I was hopeful last year that the combination of Griffin and Elliott would be successful. However it obviously did not work out.

The way forward (my opinion only) is that if things do not come together towards the end of the season, then Griffin will need to be cut loose and the Club will need to pay overs to secure the best coach available.

justadragon

Bench
By now you'd want Amone to making the highlight reels, even just a little, in whatever position he plays. Sloan is not doing enough to break into first grade in his desired position.

Sullivan looks every bit the first grader and needs to start at 6. Give him a go.

Griffin described the first half an arm wrestle. I tend to agree only from the outset it was obvious we had nothing up our sleeve. Something is very wrong either with Amone or the way we are structured for him to have less impact than Norman.
totally agree, thats why i think having sullivan there will make a difference to amone in the way he plays, as for sloan well i am disappointed maybe with his attitude but im not prepared to write him off until i see all 3 play together.

Dragon David

First Grade
I have been out of action for a while but have been keeping up with the forum posts and I was enjoying the positivity of the past three weeks. Unfortunately today was not great.

I do not believe that we have a poor team. The recruitment of Molo, Su’A and Suli was very promising and Woods, Burgess and Mbye were worth the gamble. Unfortunately, the coaching arrangement has not worked. I was hopeful last year that the combination of Griffin and Elliott would be successful. However it obviously did not work out.

The way forward (my opinion only) is that if things do not come together towards the end of the season, then Griffin will need to be cut loose and the Club will need to pay overs to secure the best coach available.
As a rugby league team, we can win games against mostly the also rans with a few above us, like how we accounted for the win against the Roosters. We are not flash and our defence, whilst improving, still leaks many tries.

Our attack is abysmal to say the least and it has been for sometime without a true game breaker. Rava hasn't done much at all in attack. Lomax is very pedestrian - I think that Aitken was better going forward than Lomax. Our spine isn't setting the world on fire in attack and we lack good speed all the way through the team. We don't win games if we do not score several tries to defend.

It all boils down to bad coaching techniques and strategies and planning. Hook and Co need to be shafted. The extension of Hook's contract is one big mistake. There needs to be a coach hired similar to the likes of Bellamy and Cleary with fire in the belly and get quality players not pensioners.

justadragon

Bench
As a rugby league team, we can win games against mostly the also rans with a few above us, like how we accounted for the win against the Roosters. We are not flash and our defence, whilst improving, still leaks many tries.

Our attack is abysmal to say the least and it has been for sometime without a true game breaker. Rava hasn't done much at all in attack. Lomax is very pedestrian - I think that Aitken was better going forward than Lomax. Our spine isn't setting the world on fire in attack and we lack good speed all the way through the team. We don't win games if we do not score several tries to defend.

It all boils down to bad coaching techniques and strategies and planning. Hook and Co need to be shafted. The extension of Hook's contract is one big mistake. There needs to be a coach hired similar to the likes of Bellamy and Cleary with fire in the belly and get quality players not pensioners.
dead right Dave, but unfortunately i can see us finishing slightly better up the ladder, and then the club will tell us we have improved greatly and expect big things in 2023

Illusion

Bench

The old saying you pay peanuts you get .............

SBD82

Coach
Some of the football that we played today was the best that we’ve played all season, possibly in years.

Far from the wrist slitting that is going on in here, I think there are a lot of positives to take out of that game.

The one thing that was really disappointing was the way that we dropped our bundle late in the game.

Ruby Roundhouse

First Grade
1st try, we should have pushed up early and stopped pap from doing anything, shut him down and got in his face. When you give him that much space, he can beat you running or putting a kick in, multi threat. He was the 3rd receiver, no excuse to not pressure him. Better to do that, than sit back and give him all 3 options, kick, run or quick pass out wide. You cannot give him that much space so close to the line when you have little to no reaction time. Mbye is a turd, I'm not sure what kind of effort that was.

2nd try, mbye's contract should be torn up and he should be released.

3rd try, two push up, two stay back, breaking the line creating the gap. Poor communication and IQ, the outside backs should have pushed up further.

4th try, amazing kick by munster

5th try, mbye with his back to the play, he is so bad.

6th try, poor first contact and bulldozed through mbye the turnstile, and made light work of the others that close to the line and with that much speed and size.

7th try, bad tackling by amone

So I expect mbye to start at 1 next week, because this coach is a moron, just like the one before him.

rasaint

Juniors
Just a few thoughts. I thought we would be easily beaten today and we’re. Melbourne at a huge level above.

Melboune recruit speed speed speed! Need a centre gat Remis Smith ( flying machine) Lose Vunivatu and Ado Carr; recruit Coates and Meaney.

We continue to promote slow backs yes Rava, Feagai, Lomax, Mybe, Bird, Amone just to name a few. These players are not ‘bad players’ but just lack dash. Noticed from the beginning Lomax would never rise to top tier. Not quick enough. Please stop recruiting unremarkable players. That’s why our attack is ordinary.

2010 Grand Final win we had incredible speed. Darius, Soward, Cooper, Gaznier, Morris. Melboune have Hughes, Munster, Smith, PNG flyer, Coates ( quick as Ado Carr) Meaney and Papenhuzen wow.

Crush

Coach
1st try, we should have pushed up early and stopped pap from doing anything, shut him down and got in his face. When you give him that much space, he can beat you running or putting a kick in, multi threat. He was the 3rd receiver, no excuse to not pressure him. Better to do that, than sit back and give him all 3 options, kick, run or quick pass out wide. You cannot give him that much space so close to the line when you have little to no reaction time. Mbye is a turd, I'm not sure what kind of effort that was.

2nd try, mbye's contract should be torn up and he should be released.

3rd try, two push up, two stay back, breaking the line creating the gap. Poor communication and IQ, the outside backs should have pushed up further.

4th try, amazing kick by munster

5th try, mbye with his back to the play, he is so bad.

6th try, poor first contact and bulldozed through mbye the turnstile, and made light work of the others that close to the line and with that much speed and size.

7th try, bad tackling by amone

So I expect mbye to start at 1 next week, because this coach is a moron, just like the one before him.
So Mbye not brilliant?

redv13

Bench
Some of the football that we played today was the best that we’ve played all season, possibly in years.

Far from the wrist slitting that is going on in here, I think there are a lot of positives to take out of that game.

The one thing that was really disappointing was the way that we dropped our bundle late in the game.
Totally agree. Today’s performance probably beats a lot of sides, Melbourne are just a beast of a team. Points differential of +225 after 9 games. Penrith and Parra at their best are the only teams that can get them, the rest are dreaming.

kit66

Bench
I just watched the highlights and had a squiz at our Stats, jayzuz that was awful.
Molo 4 penalties ( how did he stay on the field ? ) and 5 missed tackles + 4 ineffective, Bird 10 missed tackles and 4 ineffective (2nd rower my arse), Hunt 9 misses, Mbye 4 errors and a 6 again, McGuire the only forward to run for over 100 metres, in fact the others didn't come close with Sims (70mtrs) the next best.
Not sure what to make of Amone, he's obviously very skillful and dangerous but I don't think Hunt and McCullough do enough to bring him into the game - 25 Receipts (Hunt 51) in 80 minutes for 21 passes, that means he ran just 4 times. If you checked every other 5/8 in the league their receipts would be almost as many as their halves partner.
Is that Hunt and McC not having enough trust in him and putting him in the back seat or is it a coach's directive ?

Almost weekly Hook goes down in my estimations of his ability as a coach. Poor team picks, vague game plans, piss poor defensive structures and worst of all his very Mary-esque approach to post match pressers all excuses and lamenting that one stray kick, dropped ball, lucky try, intercept, ref's call etc, etc, never "we were sht and it's my fault, we need to go back to the drawing board".

Titans next week, a game we should win given their spine is worse than ours and a pack we should be able to handle.
Back on the horse.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
We've got huge issues in a lot of positions thats not hard to work out is it, but losing SuA was a massive blow to us imo.....he just had that presence about him in the forwards and along with Molo gave our pack some well needed punch both in defence and go forward......as for our attack theres just no zip zip men for want of a better word.....they are one dimensional and boring tbh ....I just dont see where the points are coming from in particular against the better teams

New Dragon

Juniors
He has been, not anymore. He is not head of pathways in respect to grade from JF up, just recruitment admin and junior pathways coming in from outside.
My point was it was not Millwards decision to let Wishy go.
What do you mean the club done nothing for him, he played JF and reggies.
What more should they have done?
Just some did not see he would add value to 1st grade...rightly or wrongly is the argument
Isn’t the job about holding onto talent? My point was that this bloke let guys go like Wishart and would rather sign blokes like Hayden lomax to keep Zac happy which was all under Millward watch.

Ruby Roundhouse

First Grade
We've got huge issues in a lot of positions thats not hard to work out is it, but losing SuA was a massive blow to us imo.....he just had that presence about him in the forwards and along with Molo gave our pack some well needed punch both in defence and go forward......as for our attack theres just no zip zip men for want of a better word.....they are one dimensional and boring tbh ....I just dont see where the points are coming from in particular against the better teams

Yup, my favourite saints player in 22. I like his grit.