What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs Storm

blacksafake

First Grade
H
I have said this in previous posts, if sloan had these defensive issues why werent they picked up in the last few games last year, pre-season, trial matches etc, not round 3 of the current comp. So here we are playing the storm, no one expects us to win by any stretch of the imagination, so for me this is a perfect time to throw the young fella's in and see how they go against one of the top sides in the NRL, if you want them to learn or show us something this is it. I would much rather have them exposed to this environment and learn something and maybe show us some performance than change nothing and get walloped anyway. I certainly wouldnt bag them out even if we get done by 70, I would say there you go boys thats the standard we need to achieve to be competitive, we either reach it or we sink.
How do we know they weren’t working on his issues but by round 3 he hadn’t been where they were hoping he’d be?

TruSaint

Referee
Always hoping but in this case not expecting a win. Hope it doesn't blow out. 3 grinding wins would be shattered if we get blown of the park. Tigers ripped us up the middle. It was our scramble defence that won it. Can't afford to be soft in the middle against the best attacking side in the comp.

justadragon

Bench
H

How do we know they weren’t working on his issues but by round 3 he hadn’t been where they were hoping he’d be?
Understand what your point is, my thoughts are that you dont put a young fella into the NRL if you know he has defensive issues, how many games did he play in the NRL last year, surely he would have had them then as well, anyway I hope he gets back into the NRL ASAP because we sure do need him.

justadragon

Bench
Look this is not the team that many wanted but many of us predicted there wouldnt be many changes due to the fact that you dont change a winning formlea. So be it, I really think there has been an opportunity lost and clearly some players are not at the standard that is required(Burgess, Macca) and the storm will target this area, and find many many linebreaks and meters up the middle. Now that the team is picked, there may be some changes, maybe but all in all I hope we stick strong and show the resilience required to at least compete and above all put on some attacking plays PLEASE !!!!!

BLM01

First Grade
Rava and Lomax have not seen clean ball since Sloan dropped - I think if the attitude is right (which by all reports it is) you play him otherwise what the exit strategy w Mbye? Sure he's good in D but he does not provide enough overall upside to the team to leave Sloan out IMO. We are not a top 4 side so just scratching wins to finish somewhere between say 7 and 10th - whats the point? It's been 5 weeks - what does Sloan learn against weaker opposition in KOE?
A voice for the men in front of him. He needs to bark orders

BLM01

First Grade
A Part of me JD wonders what standard of coaching is in the Illawarra & St George districts. They don't appear to value defence until they get to seniors. By value i mean do very good defensive players make the rep teams or because they don't show out get ignored ?
It starts in Juniors everywhere. They are mimicking the NRL in tackle technique.
Low legs driving tackles are being coached out to some degree which is a shame
Boys are not as strong as men so you have weak defences trying to mimic NRL.
Even reggies in the main is way different

Crush

Coach
Good news is, we no longer look like a wooden spoon favourite team, our defence and energy has really improved, absolutely loved beating Roosters.
Bad news is, we now look like a team that is just making up the numbers. That’s because we know where the ceiling is with Mbye, Woods, Burgess, McCulloch etc, it’s low.
I’d love to see Sloan at fullback, Mbye back to 14 where he belongs, for starters…..