What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rovelli GONE

Jesbass

First Grade
http://warriors.sitesuite.ws/plugins/newsfeed.cgi?rm=content&plugin_data_id=25998

Vodafone Warriors halfback Grant Rovelli is heading home after signing a two-year NRL contract with the North Queensland Cowboys.

After racking up 68 appearances in his three seasons with the Vodafone Warriors, Rovelli (25) is returning to the club he initially played for as a junior.

While he had a year to run on his contract, Vodafone Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said the club wouldn’t stand in his way.

“We’ve agreed to release Grant from his last season,” he said.

“We appreciate the great service he’s given the Vodafone Warriors and we wish him well in his career at the Cowboys and beyond. He has made a great contribution in his three seasons with us.”

But while Rovelli is joining the Cowboys, he and his partner Lauren will be staying in Auckland for a few more weeks yet – for a very good reason.

“Lauren’s due to have our first baby on December 18 so we won’t be going anywhere for a while,” he said.

“We’re going to have a little Kiwi birthday before we head to Australia and I’ll keep training with the boys at the Vodafone Warriors.”

While there would be disappointment leaving Mt Smart Stadium, Rovelli said he and Lauren were looking forward to being close to their home town of Mackay.

“We’re both from there and we’ll be close to our families,” he said.

“In a perfect world, we’d love to stay on but that’s the way footy goes sometimes. I’m not complaining.

“We’ve had a brilliant time in Auckland. I’ve loved playing for the Vodafone Warriors. This is where I was given my chance to play NRL football.

“I’ve made lots of great mates here, the coaching staff and management have helped me so much – I can’t thank everyone enough for the experience.”

Vodafone Warriors coach Ivan Cleary commended Rovelli on his contribution to the club.

“I’ve known Grant for a while and he’s champion bloke. He has been great around the club,” he said.

“I wish him all the very best and really hope everything works out well for him at the Cowboys.”

Let the grieving commence.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Let the drinking commence more like it!!!!

Celebrate good time, f**k OFF, It's a celebration!!!

Lox

Juniors
so now we have stacey jones/foran/moon/witt and maybe heremaia left. im still thinking if witt will shift to another club...

Micistm

Bench
Well, I wish the guy all the best and hope things go well! Although I wanted him replaced last season as he just couldn't get any decent form going, you kinda had to feel for him as well as he was trying his heart out.
That said, it's for the best and not overly gutted to have him outa here.
But Lol...watch him have a blinder next year some time and hurt us! ;-)

He did have some really good games for the Warriors but struggled to perform at that level on a consistent basis. Hope he goes well at the Cowboys.

ozbash

Referee
“We appreciate the great service he’s given the Vodafone Warriors "

would make an awesome Tui ad..

good riddence, geez I feel for the Cowboys, Ravs 7,, Thurston 6.
What a balls up.

wittyfan

Referee
so now we have stacey jones/foran/moon/witt and maybe heremaia left. im still thinking if witt will shift to another club...

Witty's not going anywhere. For 2009 at least anyway.

All the best Ravs. Will be missed. :( But with Jones being exhumed, someone had to be squeezed out.

LeagueNut

First Grade
So long Rovelli. All the best for next year and beyond.

For the record I would have stuck with him. He's better than some of the other halves options listed in this thread.

ozbash

Referee
So long Rovelli. All the best for next year and beyond.

For the record I would have stuck with him. He's better than some of the other halves options listed in this thread.

how many games did the useless prick cost us ?

poor bloody cowboys...

LeagueNut

First Grade
Hey, I'm not saying he was perfect - but I'd still have kept him ahead of any of the other halfbacks we've signed for next year. We made the finals two years running with Ravs at halfback most of the time, so he must have been doing something right.

It'll be interesting to see if a Rovelli/Thurston combination clicks ... I'm picking it would do better than Rovelli/Witt for some reason.

Rich102

Staff member
He seems like a nice bloke and I wish him well.
I spoke out about the problem in the halves but as they say "It takes two to tangle". Sorry. I think his partner in the halves did him no favours at all.
He was one of the most dangerous broken field runner we had and with a good no6 he could excell.
I agree with Mic, he could come back to bite us.
That said, turn the page and move on. Er, should that be move back?
Anyway, good luck Grant.

boldy

Juniors
Nice guy I guess, wish him well. I don't thank him for all those warriors games where I sat there cursing his name. Not good for my blood pressure, I had to self medicate.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Witt you're next.