What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

docbrown

Coach
It seems to me that Rugby is desperate and at this point NRL players could negotiate an opt out clause that automatically terminates their rugby contract if they’re not given an automatic spot on the national rugby side.

Let’s be honest, no NRL player is going to convert just to play Super Rugby. It’s only about internationals. Once the targeted NRL players realise their power in these negotiations they can literally set their own terms.

Pneuma

First Grade
It seems to me that Rugby is desperate and at this point NRL players could negotiate an opt out clause that automatically terminates their rugby contract if they’re not given an automatic spot on the national rugby side.

Let’s be honest, no NRL player is going to convert just to play Super Rugby. It’s only about internationals. Once the targeted NRL players realise their power in these negotiations they can literally set their own terms.

Super rugby is on fire mate. The crowds are so bloody big they can’t even count them. They are nearly all TBA!

Wb1234

Immortal
John O'Neill was actually good at his job though.

Rugby would fill stadiums for tests in his day.

This Hamish bloke has nothing.
Warchest and taking over from rugby league

allowed too many Australian teams

he’s responsible for the collapse

BODISGOD

Bench
https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/ireland-rugby-league-prodigy-joins-huddersfield/

Clink on the link and watch the video. The Irish kid seems like a top bloke

This 'see the world' stuff is pure fantasy, you want to play Sport and see the world, Play Football (Soccer), Cricket, Basketball, hell a load of other sports before Rugby Union to give it its proper name even comes up. Every November you go and play a few of England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and France and every June one or two of England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and France will come down under, sure there are way more Countries who play it than league, but not to any standard where then coming to Australia or going to play them in their country will generate any money and would be a loss. Every 12 years the Lions will come and every 4 years a world cup. Jeez even Rugby league which lets face it has pretty much given up on the international game over the years isn't that far behind offering that, SOO and a competitive Club game beats anything Rugger can offer. Imagine Cricket Australia going to India and England every year and have them come in the summer as they are they only ones to draw any interest, they wouldn't do it, but this global game only offers the same 8 or 9 countries as an option to play against in front of anything bigger than 3 men and a dog,

Penrith or Paris? If the wallabies played in Penrith and the Kangaroos in Paris I know who would have a bigger crowd?

Like someone who has just finished Bankruptcy and been given a credit card again for the first time in years, they are back to whoring themselves to every Rugby League winger out there, desperate to say the least.
Football is the world game but it is still domestically orientated. The vast majority of professional players never play competitive games outside of their own country.

Basketball is a decent shout if you play in the EuroBasket.

gerg

Juniors
So Cleary is also a product of Rugby because he spent a few years in NZ as a kid while his Dad was playing for the Warriors ?

Cleary, Hass and Murray would demand 1.6m per season and there is no guarantee they'll be a success ala RTS

I could see Crichton and Penisini switching, they could get equal pay in Rugby, they might want a new challenge later in thier careers

No mention of Nelson Asofa ? Didn't he have a meeting with Eddie Jones a few weeks back ?

ARU must be loving all the headlines, they've had more publicity in the last 10 weeks then they've had in the last 10 years

I imagine an Eddie Jones meeting with NAS went something like 'bro, I'm a kiwi, bro'.

BODISGOD

Bench
I saw Danny Wielder interview Hamish McLenon on 9 news, he said Rugby were expecting a windfall of $100m for the Lions tour and 100m for the World Cup. Not sure if that's pie in the sky stuff or accurate but considering this is a guy that says Rugby has 850million fans globally ( 10% of the globes population) You'd have to think his numbers might be slightly off ?

The world cup might be a hard sell in Australia, I believe it's scheduled to run while the NRL and AFL finals are on ? I don't think rugby will be getting much media attention. I can't imagine fans flocking to watch it the way the ARU believe.
It’s probably at that level. It is expected that France will get up to €50m in pure profit for hosting it this year.

The thing is that World Rugby take the majority of the profits with a minimum fee at the outset. When England hosted it I believe it was the forth or fifth highest attended sports event of all time and generated close to $500m AUD but most of that went to World Rugby who had a few hundred million in profits to play with.

It will all come down to how many tickets they sell. I’m sure they will do well enough from expats and travelling supporters alone.

B&I Lions is probably just as profitable off less games because they don’t have to give most of the profits to World Rugby. That said I think the Lions concept is a bit damaged after the COVID tour, will be interesting to see the travelling support.

King hit

Coach
It’s probably at that level. It is expected that France will get up to €50m in pure profit for hosting it this year.

The thing is that World Rugby take the majority of the profits with a minimum fee at the outset. When England hosted it I believe it was the forth or fifth highest attended sports event of all time and generated close to $500m AUD but most of that went to World Rugby who had a few hundred million in profits to play with.

It will all come down to how many tickets they sell. I’m sure they will do well enough from expats and travelling supporters alone.

B&I Lions is probably just as profitable off less games because they don’t have to give most of the profits to World Rugby. That said I think the Lions concept is a bit damaged after the COVID tour, will be interesting to see the travelling support.
The Lions are such a special part of Rugby they will go on without much problems. Nothing from 2020/2021 should be taken seriously. f**kvirus wrecked those years/seasons. Lions brand has been questioned before but it came back strong.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Falou and tiquiri were the wallabies best players when the had them so it should come as no surprise they are sniffing around again.

The problem they have is they have to pay way overs to sign them. With money they haven't even got.

Sualii is a classic example of this. The smarter players will also sign for at least 3 years and ra will have to pay them if they want to have a go or not.

Their only hope is to win the world cup. Can't see this happening though and they will be well f**ked once it's finished

Billythekid

First Grade
For a sport that is likely haemorrhaging money in this country even though if those numbers turn out to be true (even though they’re clearly embellished) in the grand scheme of things that isn’t much money. They can splurge out and pinch some league players for a little bit of media coverage but they’re going to blow through that money in no time and be right back where they are.

Meanwhile the NRL is growing rapidly and now all juniors in this country know if they want to make money they should be playing league.

taste2taste

Juniors
Falou and tiquiri were the wallabies best players when the had them so it should come as no surprise they are sniffing around again.

The problem they have is they have to pay way overs to sign them. With money they haven't even got.

Sualii is a classic example of this. The smarter players will also sign for at least 3 years and ra will have to pay them if they want to have a go or not.

Their only hope is to win the world cup. Can't see this happening though and they will be well f**ked once it's finished
The problem is the game of rugby has changed so much since lote and Dell were carving up that league players aren't guaranteed to be successful anymore.

RTS and Vinavulu were both stars in the NRL and struggled, even going back to Benji and Burgess.

If rugby want to spend millions on players who are only a 50% of being successful good luck to them. But I would suspect all this talk from McLenon is purely to grab media headlines, he is trolling league and we keep biting keeping them in the news

THE CHAMP

First Grade
The problem is the game of rugby has changed so much since lote and Dell were carving up that league players aren't guaranteed to be successful anymore.

RTS and Vinavulu were both stars in the NRL and struggled, even going back to Benji and Burgess.

If rugby want to spend millions on players who are only a 50% of being successful good luck to them. But I would suspect all this talk from McLenon is purely to grab media headlines, he is trolling league and we keep biting keeping them in the news
How can you say rts and Burgess struggled when they both played international union?

It was also obvious that nobody involved with English union wanted Burgess to succeed

Valheru

Coach

This

Then we have PVL coming out suggesting the ridiculous idea of salary cap exemptions for poached rugby players.

For a sport that is apparently no threat to him he sure likes talking about them and keeping them in the news.

Valheru

Coach

Which world cup are you referring to? This year's one is not what this is all about, it is about the 2027 world cup in Australia.

It is 2003 all over again which to be fair led to the most interest in the sport in Australia this century.

Pneuma

First Grade
Rugby clubs are folding across Australia so the code throws money at league players. That’s the headline here. Community rugby in qld and elsewhere is in dire straits.

Latest posts