What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

It begins.
Matt Lodge has been spotted playing union for North Brisbane's 2nd grade team. NRL need to find the keys to that war chest soon or they could be in serious trouble.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Saw it again in last night`s borefest union match between waratahs and the Auckland Blues.
Kiwi players went into the tackle making no attempt to get the player to the ground but to hold him up and prevent an offload, exactly what we see in League. Would have been a penalty to the Kiwis but an indiscretion earlier in the play meant a penalty to the waratahs.
Difference is in League when this happens; ref orders play the ball; in union failure to get to ground or offload results in a penalty to the defending side. Lots of incentive for the defending sides in union to employ this League tactic.
I repeat. I believe once union coaches realise the full significance of this there will be an explosion in this type of play. 1) it`s easy to do, 2) it is a guaranteed penalty and turnover of possession.
I can see this becoming a major problem in union.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Saw it again in last night`s borefest union match between waratahs and the Auckland Blues.
Kiwi players went into the tackle making no attempt to get the player to the ground but to hold him up and prevent an offload, exactly what we see in League. Would have been a penalty to the Kiwis but an indiscretion earlier in the play meant a penalty to the waratahs.
Difference is in League when this happens; ref orders play the ball; in union failure to get to ground or offload results in a penalty to the defending side. Lots of incentive for the defending sides in union to employ this League tactic.
I repeat. I believe once union coaches realise the full significance of this there will be an explosion in this type of play. 1) it`s easy to do, 2) it is a guaranteed penalty and turnover of possession.
I can see this becoming a major problem in union.
The problem union has, and will always have, is every step they take to professionalism makes it league. Rugby League is the professional, TV friendly version of union.

Colk

First Grade
The problem union has, and will always have, is every step they take to professionalism makes it league. Rugby League is the professional, TV friendly version of union.

Well every attempt to make their game a better spectacle to watch, brings their game closer to league.

taste2taste

Juniors
Looks like Matt Burton is top of the list for Rugby Australia, considering union players can barely catch a kick they'd have zero chance catching a Burton bomb.

Canard

Immortal
Looks like Matt Burton is top of the list for Rugby Australia, considering union players can barely catch a kick they'd have zero chance catching a Burton bomb.

It's such a laughable article, they can offer him $1M a season, or exactly what any NRL club will offer.

Fangs

Coach
Last time we were decent at RU was with prized imports Rogers, Tuqiri and Sailor. I don't blame them going after more of our players.

taste2taste

Juniors
The Telegraph has a story on thier website 'exclusively ' revealing the players the ARU are targeting. Anyone with access able to list them ?
Burton and Suaalii are known but would be keen to know the others.

taste2taste

Juniors
Wheres the money coming from to target NRL players? ARU don't have a rich tv deal.
The majority of the money would come from sponsors and rich old boys happy to chip in to pay a players wage.
Similar to the French Top 14 where teams are owned by billionaires happy to loose money hand over fist to try and win the comp.

Steel Saints

Juniors
The majority of the money would come from sponsors and rich old boys happy to chip in to pay a players wage.
Similar to the French Top 14 where teams are owned by billionaires happy to loose money hand over fist to try and win the comp.
Not sure if billionaire owners are happy to lose money. If anything, they want that money back, especially when they try to sell up.

Maybe the rich old guys should invest in grassroots instead.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
considering eto nabuli and curtis rona walked straight into wallabies jerseys moga and morgan harper would be targets