What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

Matterhorn

Juniors
Can we sign up the RUWC marketing team? To convince someone to watch a one sided win of between 70-90 points to blot & they still pack out the stadium when I am sure the people going there to attend know the other side has a snowflakes chance of winning beats me.

taste2taste

Juniors
Can we sign up the RUWC marketing team? To convince someone to watch a one sided win of between 70-90 points to blot & they still pack out the stadium when I am sure the people going there to attend know the other side has a snowflakes chance of winning beats me.
The crowds have been nuts, I'm at a loss to explain it, Top 14 have average crowds of about 12k...so how the F are they filling stadiums to watch Georgia, Chile and Nambia lol.

Either its been the greatest advertising campaign in history ? Or they are giving away free tickets ? or there's nothing better to do in France on a weekend than go and watch Uruguay play rugby ???

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The crowds have been nuts, I'm at a loss to explain it, Top 14 have average crowds of about 12k...so how the F are they filling stadiums to watch Georgia, Chile and Nambia lol.

Either its been the greatest advertising campaign in history ? Or they are giving away free tickets ? or there's nothing better to do in France on a weekend than go and watch Uruguay play rugby ???
Because internationals are the pinnacle of RU, always have been. And fans will travel in big numbers for a WC.

Chimp

Bench
One of the big factors is that there are more champagne Charlie’s in rugby Union who can afford to go on a 6 week ‘lads’ holiday to the rugger.
There was a Scottish fella interviewed (gave a funny interview actually) who pretty much summed it up for me. He said he’d been on a weeks holiday with a group of mates, then decided to do a week at the World Cup, then whilst there, they all decided to stay for another 4 weeks getting on the ‘pish’ every day….. there ain’t many rugby league folk can afford a 6 week holiday (even with plenty of planning time), let alone a whole group that can afford to just do it on a whim.
There’ll be thousands of money men who just follow the RU World Cup blindly because it’s an old boys tradition and an excuse to the Mrs for why you’re going away for 6 weeks with the lads… and as someone alluded to elsewhere, their wives will be at home smashing their shopping budget, and then getting smashed by the local bad boys (hopefullly rugby league lads).

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because internationals are the pinnacle of RU, always have been. And fans will travel in big numbers for a WC.
Yeh my welsh brother in law went over for two Weeks and caught a load of games not just the welsh ones, Some sports fans just like to follow their code more than we do. We couldn’t even get 45k rl fans to watch the kangaroos in a WC final in brisbane Ffs!

taste2taste

Juniors
I made the mistake of clicking on a Union story on Facebook, now I get a million stories popping up on my feed.

One thing I'm noticing is that the Union mob are bagging the blow outs just as much as we are, apparently tier 2 need more funding and more games for them to improve......sound familiar? Same situation as League, Maybe we do have something in common with them :D

Wb1234

Immortal
That marketing team is struggling selling the lions tour to Australia
Yeh my welsh brother in law went over for two Weeks and caught a load of games not just the welsh ones, Some sports fans just like to follow their code more than we do. We couldn’t even get 45k rl fans to watch the kangaroos in a WC final in brisbane Ffs!
Lmao blame England the crowds for the last World Cup were awful esp at st Helen’s Leeds Warrington and hull

Lmao blame England the crowds for the last World Cup were awful esp at st Helen’s Leeds Warrington and hull
Far cry from the multitudes flocking to games in Canberra and Townsville in 2017.

Hang on though. Final in 2017 got 40k with home team involvement. Final in 2022 got 68k without home team involvement.

Now I'm confused. Are you confused too, mate?

Wb1234

Immortal
I made the mistake of clicking on a Union story on Facebook, now I get a million stories popping up on my feed.

One thing I'm noticing is that the Union mob are bagging the blow outs just as much as we are, apparently tier 2 need more funding and more games for them to improve......sound familiar? Same situation as League, Maybe we do have something in common with them :D
Tongs rl will play more tests than Tonga ru over the next five years
Far cry from the multitudes flocking to games in Canberra and Townsville in 2017.

Hang on though. Final in 2017 got 40k with home team involvement. Final in 2022 got 68k without home team involvement.

Now I'm confused. Are you confused too, mate?
nah just leave it to the nrl to rescue international rugby league

enjoy the Tonga tour

you are welcome

it’s nice for us to finally be able to enjoy the nations we’ve helped developed together paying tests in our countries

Valheru

Coach

Because whether people on here like it or not the RUWC is a big deal and a premium event. 10s of thousands of people are willing to travel for it too.

That's why the suggestion on here that the next edition in Australia won't be well attended is laughable even with the current state of the wallabies.

Wb1234

Immortal
Because whether people on here like it or not the RUWC is a big deal and a premium event. 10s of thousands of people are willing to travel for it too.

That's why the suggestion on here that the next edition in Australia won't be well attended is laughable even with the current state of the wallabies.
Heck rugby australia might not even be around by then if they don’t get the loans they need to cover spending

after the women’s soccer World Cup I think it’s going to be a big let down to the union one and in terms of how much National appeal it has

Valheru

Coach
Heck rugby australia might not even be around by then if they don’t get the loans they need to cover spending

after the women’s soccer World Cup I think it’s going to be a big let down to the union one and in terms of how much National appeal it has
RA will exist in 4 years. Complete fantasy to suggest otherwise.

I don't disagree that the event won't have the same national appeal as the FIFA Women's WC but that is a very high bar that I can only see being surpassed if Australia ever host the men's version.

taste2taste

Juniors

There's a big difference travelling 2 hrs from the UK to France to treversering the globe to get to Australia.

Crowds in Australia will be at least 50% smaller....and that's being generous.

Latest posts