What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

King-Gutho94

Coach
The current crop of Wallabies should be thanking Eddie Jones.

He knew they're shit so he made the entire World Cup about him as far as the media is concerned.

So little blowback on the lack of talent in the team with players embarrassing themselves with their on field output.

Masterful leadership from Eddie, but he knows he can't keep up the act for more than a few months.
I am surprised he would tarnish whatever legacy he had from his 1st stint.

And come back for 3 months and piss off.

Anyway its just funny from a league perspective Union bumbling from one appointment to another.

Valheru

Coach
I sound like a broken record, but even having a tiny foothold in the USA will do wonders, as soon as America plays a sport it gets instant global credibility. 15 seconds a night on Sports Center takes the sport into every market on the planet.
Rugby league got probably the most exposure it has in a long time in America on Monday (Sunday local) when American broadcaster Fox showed some highlights of Jordan Mailata (Philadelphia Eagles OL) playing rugby league in his younger days. Unfortunately they referred to it as simply "rugby" and any google search following would take the searcher to the other sport. I doubt many in the USA actually know there are 2 different sports.

On a side note, I think a lot of people on here would be stunned by how few people know there are 2 codes in places like SA and WA.

Wb1234

Immortal
Rugby league got probably the most exposure it has in a long time in America on Monday (Sunday local) when American broadcaster Fox showed some highlights of Jordan Mailata (Philadelphia Eagles OL) playing rugby league in his younger days. Unfortunately they referred to it as simply "rugby" and any google search following would take the searcher to the other sport. I doubt many in the USA actually know there are 2 different sports.

On a side note, I think a lot of people on here would be stunned by how few people know there are 2 codes in places like SA and WA.
Wa? Which was once considered the third rugby league state and whose grand final got 10k?

yeh sure

The latest "international rules" series between Australia and Ireland in 2017 was a 2 match series with games in Adelaide and Perth
Not sure a couple of games of mix-and-match fiasco quite compares to the RL Pacific Championships.

I could have mentioned the NRL also decided not to risk testing the appetite for international RL in Brisbane.

bazza

Immortal
Not sure a couple of games of mix-and-match fiasco quite compares to the RL Pacific Championships.

I could have mentioned the NRL also decided not to risk testing the appetite for international RL in Brisbane.
Given the spread out nature of Australia I am not against playing in places like Townsville especially since they have a new stadium
Would play some matches in Canberra if they got a new stadium too

Would be interested to see if they could draw a crowd to the new SFS for an international

Wb1234

Immortal

The choice of grounds aren’t terrible

Melbourne and Eden park especially

Sydney and brisbane don’t need more games

Wb1234

Immortal
If you are saying it's desperately disappointing that RL fans in all countries don't support international RL in far greater numbers - no, you're not wrong.
You can’t put the game in the nh on the same basis as the sh hemisphere

the nrl has produced 7 strong international sides

the nh has 1.5 decent sides and even England are bolstered by nrl talent

this pacific cup would be stronger with tonga in it but a desperate England lured them away because they have failed to develop France wales Scotland and Ireland

the nh is reliant upon nrl based sides touring for their internationals

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
If you are saying it's desperately disappointing that RL fans in all countries don't support international RL in far greater numbers - no, you're not wrong.
Just in the last decade...
67k Old Trafford, UK
40k Emirates Stadium, UK
43k St James Park, UK
35k London Stadium, UK
40k Anfield, UK
47k Suncorp Stadium, AUS
25k Wellington, NZ
24k Waikato Stadium NZ
15k Port Moresby PNG
30k Mt Smart, NZ
18k Wollongong, AUS
18k Bruce Stadium, AUS
27k Newcastle, AUS

Seems pretty healthy to me. We just need to be more consistent with games and more structured with our tournaments to build on it.