What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

taste2taste

Juniors
They're f**ked.
I concur with your conclusion.

They'll try and secure the 90m loan against future earnings on the 2027 WC. Rugby Australia have forecast a profit of 100m from the WC, so they will have spent that profit before they get it.

As you say, repayments could be as high as 10m per year which is higher than any surplus they've made in the past decade ( dont quote me but i belive +8m is Rugby Australias best surplus in the past decade ), so they'll be operating at heavy losses unti the 27 WC bails them out.

PS I have no qualifications in banking or finance.

Last edited:

Munky

Coach

They'll try and secure the 90m loan against future earnings on the 2027 WC. Rugby Australia have forecast a profit of 100m from the WC, so they will have spent that profit before they get it.

As you say, repayments could be as high as 10m per year which is higher than any surplus they've made in the past decade ( dont quote me but i belive +8m is Rugby Australias best surplus in the past decade ), so they'll be operating at heavy losses unti the 27 WC bails them out.

They can't secure against the future earnings since they don't exist yet (hence the massive interest rate).

The future earnings will be the rationale for how they can pay back the loan eventually.

bazza

Immortal

the 2027 RUWC has an extra 4 teams as well so running costs will be higher

Valheru

Coach
the 2027 RUWC has an extra 4 teams as well so running costs will be higher
6 groups of 4 plus knockout stage with 16 teams only equates to 4 more games than the current system and less pool games.

Not sure if ARU have to cover hotels etc though.

bazza

Immortal
6 groups of 4 plus knockout stage with 16 teams only equates to 4 more games than the current system and less pool games.

Not sure if ARU have to cover hotels etc though.
Yeah - if the knockout stage of 16 sees to have about the same number of games all up - just with more teams to travel/accomodate

taste2taste

Juniors
Yay ! Just what the Union World Cup needed ! More minnows and more blow outs :D

The reason they've expanded the WC is to guarantee the USA qualifies before they host the world cup in 2031... thats assuming it goes ahead in the USA, pending the government agreeing to fund it.

Perth Red

Post Whore

The reason they've expanded the WC is to guarantee the USA qualifies before they host the world cup in 2031... thats assuming it goes ahead in the USA, pending the government agreeing to fund it.

Seems way of world, Olympics expanding, soccer WC expanding, Union WC expanding.
oh but RL WC is contracting!

Wb1234

Immortal
It's a strange business model, borrow money then borrow more money to pay off the money you previously borrowed.

They'll try and secure the 90m loan against future earnings on the 2027 WC.

Borrow money to cover current spending in the hope with that loan paid back by future revenues

Paying our coaches when they are borrowing money to survive

footyfan4life

Juniors

Obsessed 😂

pims

Juniors
What's the atmosphere been like in France over the past month ? Is everyone loving the World Cup ?
Given the crowds in nd outside the stadiums and the atmosphere, a total succ€ss. Not sure chilean, uruguyan or portugese fans will put on the same effort and money in 4 years if World Rugby tells them to eat sh*t

Valheru

Coach

I'm not certain there will be more blowouts. Their current pool system is a silly one with 5 teams in each pool at 4 games each totalling 40 games.

6 pools of 4 with 3 games each actually lessens the total pool games to 36. It really depends on if they can get 12 competitive teams spread evenly across the pools.

taste2taste

Juniors
Channel 9 didn't even think the WC final was worth putting on thier main channel lol

I watched most of the game, the 2 codes have become very different sports. I think the days of league players switching over and being successful have gone. Rugby is more about set pieces and rucks, the ball rarely gets to the skill full players and when it does they have very little room to move or they kick it away.

I'd say Union is closer to Gridiron than league, 30 seconds of play and then 2 minute rest.

I get that people love union, all good, each to thier own.

taste2taste

Juniors
If you showed the NRL grand final and the Union World Cup Final to 100 people who had never seen either code and asked them which was better to watch, it would probably be 95% in favour of the NRL.

I tried watching this morning, I really did, but it's not a sport that has enough exciting elements to it.

I can see why the Northerners changed the rules in the 1800's to make rugby a more exciting spectators sport.

Last edited:

Latest posts