What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

Wb1234

Immortal
If you showed the NRL grand final and the Union World Cup Final to 100 people who had never seen either code and asked them which was better to watch, it would probably be 95% in favour of the NRL.

I tried watching this morning, I really did, but it's not a sport that has enough exciting elements to it.

I can see why the Northerners changed the rules in the 1800's to make rugby a more exciting spectators sport.

they played rugby union from 1895

the ideas for the change came from watching the 1905 all blacks tour of England

Valheru

Coach
If you showed the NRL grand final and the Union World Cup Final to 100 people who had never seen either code and asked them which was better to watch, it would probably be 95% in favour of the NRL.

I tried watching this morning, I really did, but it's not a sport that has enough exciting elements to it.

I can see why the Northerners changed the rules in the 1800's to make rugby a more exciting spectators sport.

You would have to question the other 5% sanity too.

The quarter finals between NZ/Ireland and SA/France are way better advertisements for union but there is way too much of what happened this morning going on in professional union to the point 3/4 games are unwatchable and I'm far from a union hater.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I’ll bet the Warriors front office are quietly pretty happy this morning.

IMO union is currently stuck in an awkward place between American Football and League. League prizes continuity and running play, American Football is literally sequence of set pieces. Union tries to have both but gets stuck with a bunch of endless rucks and penalties in between.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Are analytics responsible for the (further) descent of union into penalty goal fests?

Do the cold hard statistics show that any ball within fifty five metres of the posts should be turned into a penalty at all costs?
William Webb Ellis picked the ball up and ran with it. These blokes are putting it back down and kicking it. Maybe the WEE trophy should be handed to the RLWC winners instead

gerg

Juniors
I’ll bet the Warriors front office are quietly pretty happy this morning.

IMO union is currently stuck in an awkward place between American Football and League. League prizes continuity and running play, American Football is literally sequence of set pieces. Union tries to have both but gets stuck with a bunch of endless rucks and penalties in between.

But NFL is a very interesting game. The more you learn about their game the less you know. Union is just boring. I don't understand it's popularity.

The Great Dane

First Grade
But NFL is a very interesting game. The more you learn about their game the less you know. Union is just boring. I don't understand it's popularity.
RU tends to only be successful in the nations where there's no genuine competition in the market for contact sports.

If you look around the world pretty much everywhere RU spread in the late 1800s and early 1900s it's either been outcompeted or replaced by local alternatives (Australia, USA, Canada, Ireland, etc) or shenanigans and corruption has helped it maintain it's place (France, RSA, England, Wales, etc).

NZ is the only exception to that rule, but there're reasons for that. NZ is also the only major country where RU could genuinely claim to be the most popular sport despite it's large footprint globally.

Dark Corner

Juniors
"You can see why people switch off the game, because it’s as boring as hell" - Former All Black Israel Dagg
So South Africa has won 4 world cups and only scored 2 try's in all finals winand that was in one final 2019.

New Zealand has won 3 world cups and has scored 7 try's in all finals win with 3 1987, 1 2011 and 3 2015.

Australia has won 2 world cups and has scored three try's in all finals win 1 in 1991 and 2 in 1999.

England has won 1 world cup and has scored 1 try in final win in 2003.

Chimp

Bench
Union is just shite all round, but the champagne Charlie’s have been brought up on the tradition of it being an excuse for a few weeks away with their mates Tarquin and Humphrey.
I only watched part of 1 game of the WC and had to turn it off, it’s just scrum after lineout after scrum, and they’re allowed to have a little mothers meeting before each line out and scrum. I was timing it, and pretty much every time there was a knock on or kick to touch, it was 3 minutes after the play stopped before the ball was back in play. They’d massively benefit from a scrum/lineout shot clock. (They might already have one, but it just be set at 5 mins).

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
That’s kinda my point. There’s nothing wrong with set pieces when they’re done well, NFL structures it’s game to highlight them which works. If Union was purely about scrums, lineouts and set moves it’s probably be better than an endless series of rucks punctuated by kicks.

taste2taste

Juniors
There was discussion a few pages back about how to grow league internationally, need to play more games...etc

For those that are interested here is an update of the Internationals scheduled for the next couple of weeks

Troy Grant has done an incredible job since taking over as Chairman of the IRL, he said it was run like a primary school tuck shop when he started, looks like he's making things head in the right direction

Last edited: