What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

bazza

Immortal
So what defines a RU player to be Salary Cap exempt?

We have many kids or fringe players who play both codes

I think you need something like
- RU interstate or international (only for men)
- has not played NRL for 2 years
- 20% relief for 1 year and 10% for 2 yeaes 0 after
we could just use the current definition of "union junior" as anyone who played at least a couple of games of rugby union in high school

bazza

Immortal
What's stopping an 18 yr old that has interest from both codes choosing union because they know they can come to the NRL on bigger money in a year's time.
I think the current situation for an 18 yo that is equally good at both codes is that the starting salary for an NRL club is much better

Wb1234

Immortal
I’m all for decimating union

but you sign a union winger on one million then our wingers on 500k won’t be happy

we don’t need established union players in league

the risk reward is poor

I wouldn’t want one at my club even if it’s good publicity for the game

You’re getting at best a decent nrl player but more likely a failure

taste2taste

Juniors
Apparently Nawaqanitawase is only on 500k, do we even need salary cap exception to blow Unions offer out of the water ?

As others have said, a bit of competition to get the ARU to spend money they don't have would be a good thing, let's see if we can help push his contract up to 1.2m per season bwhahaha

siv

First Grade
I’m all for decimating union

but you sign a union winger on one million then our wingers on 500k won’t be happy

we don’t need established union players in league

the risk reward is poor

I wouldn’t want one at my club even if it’s good publicity for the game

You’re getting at best a decent nrl player but more likely a failure
Maybe in the mens game

But in the womens game most flip flop during a season to earn a full time wage

Last edited:

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Apparently Nawaqanitawase is only on 500k, do we even need salary cap exception to blow Unions offer out of the water ?

As others have said, a bit of competition to get the ARU to spend money they don't have would be a good thing, let's see if we can help push his contract up to 1.2m per season bwhahaha
He'd be worth 200k to a NRL side

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
So what defines a RU player to be Salary Cap exempt?

We have many kids or fringe players who play both codes

I think you need something like
- RU interstate or international (only for men)
- has not played NRL for 2 years
- 20% relief for 1 year and 10% for 2 yeaes 0 after
Also how long will cap exemptions apply for once a player is signed? A fixed number of years? The term of their initial contract? Or as long as they’re at that club?

"It will be delicate and it will be about making sure there's an opportunity for all clubs on an equal basis to have one or two talented players that they recruit potentially from other codes around the world.

Imagine my surprise....

Roosters first team to benefit

Maybe other clubs should have gotten off their collective lazy backsides then eh?

Vee

First Grade

As the NRL ramps up its war with Rugby Australia, Roosters chairman Nick Politis has delivered another hammer blow to the rival code, revealing Joseph-Aukuso Suaalii has told him he will be returning to the Tricolours in 2028 after his three-year stint playing the 15-man game.

In an interview where Politis also slammed two Dragons players as “jealous” and “stupid”, the 80-year-old billionaire was asked about the club’s loss of Suaalii to Rugby Australia on a deal worth a reported $4.8 million following the 2024 season.

“Joseph is a good guy, a good kid,” Politis told Channel 9.

“It’s sad that we’ve lost him to union, but he tells us he’s coming back in 2028.”

Asked if he would welcome Suaalii back to the club following his stint in rugby, Politis said: “Of course. Always a Rooster.”

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
If nothing else, the potential presence of NRL clubs (with salary cap exemptions up their sleeve) around the contract negotiations of top RU players will just drive up the amount the ARU has to pay its players. It’s a lovely viscous circle… players compare their salaries to Sualli and want more, agents tell ARU that NRL teams are making offers, ARU have to increase their offer…. Beautiful
This is the real beauty of the rule, even if we never sign a single wallaby (because we don't need them), Union will have to up their costs just when they can afford to the least

Latest posts