What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

Canard

Immortal
You are the idiot stating team mates will get the shit with what these union signings are getting but I have already given you an example of how it's been happening internally for years.

If we sign their elite talent we are crippling their product which is only good for rugby league. Hunt and Folau leaving did have an impact you're just too stupid to see it.
That and you're a union fan that wants the NRL to stop beating the shit out of it
What did it do to League?

They are killing themselves, why piss away our money to enrichen them, as Napoleon said

“Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake”.

Wb1234

Immortal
G
AFL will continue to lose the 50/50 prospects in NSW and QLD because money can't buy hearts and minds. So happy that the NRL is at least considering a SEQ Western Corridor side at some stage down the track to play in the NRL alongside the Broncos, Dolphins and Titans. It ensures the NRL continues winning the hearts and minds in SEQ for generations to come against any code, not just the AFL.
good point

be a star in nsw or qld potentially playing origin or be a nobody with the swans or lions

imagine if kalyn ponga had gone to afl where he would be now

Wb1234

Immortal
True pioneer. Had he stayed in League he would of have had a better chance in the media league after life. But now he's made the L.U. headlines due to the summer season.
True icon of the G.C. Suns and future immortal

images
Wendall sailor was a potential for being one of the greatest rugby league wingers till he went to union

once they were done with his publicity they were happy to eject him asap

THE CHAMP

First Grade
What did it do to League?

They are killing themselves, why piss away our money to enrichen them, as Napoleon said

“Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake”.
What if attacking you is the mistake they are making?

Munky

Coach
Folau was signed for an expansion Western Sydney team to appeal to a demographic traditionally not associated with AFL.

The NRL should thank them since he was so f**king bad it probably did damage to the appeal of the sport.

jim_57

Staff member

Two talented union schoolboy stars one who was on the cusp of all blacks

this is the talent we should be raiding

well done knights

They’re 23 they’ve been out of school a while you’d hope.

Leo Thompson is a more successful under the radar version of Te Whare which shows there is some potential there. Likewise Warbrick shows 7’s is worth a look as well.

I doubt many if any clubs are going to splash big cash on an All-Black or Springbok but there’s bound to be a few lower grade / fringe players in NZ and other Union countries more suited to league who may be a worth a low cost investment.

Wb1234

Immortal
They’re 23 they’ve been out of school a while you’d hope.

Leo Thompson is a more successful under the radar version of Te Whare which shows there is some potential there. Likewise Warbrick shows 7’s is worth a look as well.

I doubt many if any clubs are going to splash big cash on an All-Black or Springbok but there’s bound to be a few lower grade / fringe players in NZ and other Union countries more suited to league who may be a worth a low cost investment.
The second one had an all blacks contract

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Those guys didn't sign all at once though, in some cases it was a Decade apart. Folau, who was poached, was a dud signing for the Broncos anyway.

Regardless isn't that a great example of how it didn't work, the NRL didn't even skip a beat when those players departed, and we have a production line of stars coming through every year. And all Union achieved was the decimation of its grassroots and supporter base.

We should not be wasting our cash on no talent Union players.

As long as there is GPS schools in Australia, Union will always exist, anyway.
Couldn't disagree more on Folau being a dud signing for the Broncos. He was superb for us but a million a year in those days wasn't going to happen.

He wasn't playing league though and that's really what the afl wanted.

You say it didn't affect the NRL which is bullshit. He was a walk up start for Queensland and Australia. I guarantee if he was playing for the chooks more would have been done to keep him.

Now the chooks have been affected look at what's happening ffs

jim_57

Staff member
The second one had an all blacks contract

Didn’t play for them, I’m guessing he won’t be on huge money which is the point I was getting at. I doubt NRL clubs will be signing many players that can already command large salaries in Union for a number of reasons, not that they can’t match the pay but it would be a large investment for someone with no track record in the sport. I’d say more often than not they’ll be picking through Super Rugby, the Northern Hemisphere comps, lower grades and 7’s looking for the next Thompson or Warbrick.

In saying that I would be interested to see a genuine Union star give it a crack but I doubt the numbers will stack up.

Wb1234

Immortal
Didn’t play for them, I’m guessing he won’t be on huge money which is the point I was getting at. I doubt NRL clubs will be signing many players that can already command large salaries in Union for a number of reasons, not that they can’t match the pay but it would be a large investment for someone with no track record in the sport. I’d say more often than not they’ll be picking through Super Rugby, the Northern Hemisphere comps, lower grades and 7’s looking for the next Thompson or Warbrick.

In saying that I would be interested to see a genuine Union star give it a crack but I doubt the numbers will stack up.
“touring with the team at the end of 2022 and featuring against Barbarians”

King hit

Coach
I assume that the Barbarians isn't an official match.

So it's like a PM XI or All Star match.
It isn’t

Ive never been a fan of manufactured teams like that really. ICC world 11 was such a farce that turned me of that stuff.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If they put in cap exemptions I'd like to see it for over seas players only, there's too much potential for it to be rorted if it includes Australian players.

The area we need to be concentrating on is signing the best players out of school. If we continue getting the best it will keep union in our rear view mirror. As others have pointed out there are few If any Wallabies who would be stars in the NRL, that's because we already get the best talent at school boy level.
The best thing to do this would be to up the cap and the min wage to be be more attractive to jnrs in union .

if nrl thinks clubs can afford another $1mill spend then put cap up to $13mill and increase min wage with a stipulation of 8 the top 35 squad have to be under 21.

Wb1234

Immortal
The best thing to do this would be to up the cap and the min wage to be be more attractive to jnrs in union .

if nrl thinks clubs can afford another $1mill spend then put cap up to $13mill and increase min wage with a stipulation of 8 the top 35 squad have to be under 21.
Just wait till the next tv deal gets sorted

it will be literally after the union World Cup here in Australia and will be 15 to 20 million cap

the union World Cup could literally be a feeder comp for the nrl then

Perth Red

Post Whore
G

good point

be a star in nsw or qld potentially playing origin or be a nobody with the swans or lions

imagine if kalyn ponga had gone to afl where he would be now
Be a star in wa or Vic, Playing in front of 60k every week and earning same?