What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Dying...

TheFrog

Coach
I've always liked and respected Mike Carlton, but he's always been a Rah Rah boy.

And Clinton Alphabetsoup sure set the world on fire in Penaltyball didn't he?

8 yrs on, league gets Billion dollar TV deal,

Nothing to crow about until we can get the money we want while playing our games at times that suit people who wish to attend games.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
When evolution or the guy in the sky made pompous gits,Carlton was the prototype to which future ones followed.

He is so into himself,it's almost R rated.

He finally got his comeuppance ,and about time.

Mr Saab

Referee
Nothing to crow about until we can get the money we want while playing our games at times that suit people who wish to attend games.

True, but thats another issue entirely. For a code that was going to die slowly, its heart rate is going at a solid 70bpm

I've always liked and respected Mike Carlton, but he's always been a Rah Rah boy.

And Clinton Alphabetsoup sure set the world on fire in Penaltyball didn't he?

I couldn't care less about attendence aside from big games we are a TV product and the fact it's always on, on my leisure time as a person with a young family suits me to a T.

hutch

First Grade
I couldn't care less about attendence aside from big games we are a TV product and the fact it's always on, on my leisure time as a person with a young family suits me to a T.

we are the biggest and most attended domestic 'rugby' comp on earth. i think people tend to forget that or are completely unaware of this fact.

Eddie Lab

Juniors

nothing to crow about? RL "fans" can complain about anything. only a few people would have predicted getting $1 billion TV deal before the announcement. is it the deal we all want? no but it is definitely crow worthy.

Brutus

Referee
Carlton is a bitter turd for many reasons.

No doubt he'll turn up on some left-leaning rag like the Guardian.

TheDalek079

Bench
3 went... hell let them take another 20, league will still go on and not have a reason to be worried!

I was just pointing out that that poster listed 4 leaguies, and 3 of them ended up going to union. nothing to do with whether league would die, or that union is better

TheFrog

Coach
nothing to crow about? RL "fans" can complain about anything. only a few people would have predicted getting $1 billion TV deal before the announcement. is it the deal we all want? no but it is definitely crow worthy.

I would like to go and watch my team play at its home ground when the temperature is higher than 5 degrees and the sun is shining now and again, I guess when someone's counting a billion dollars its a bit much to expect. I could do this as a kid and the game didn't seem to die.

Basically the billion dollars is offset by clubs being told when they must stage their event. Sunday afternoon vs Monday night at Penrith would amount to a crowd difference of 7,000 on average. The billion is not coming without cost in other areas.

I'm sure someone has done the sums and the game is better off taking the TV money rather than going for bums on seats at grounds. But there might be wriggle room, like a 3pm Saturday game for instance.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
But there might be wriggle room, like a 3pm Saturday game for instance.

Of which there's been at least 10-15 this season... of things to complain about that's not one of them this season

hutch

First Grade
There have been more Saturday afternoon games this year than any in the last decade.

Starkers

Bench
I think we're just going to have to accept rubbish scheduling until the end of 2017 and hope that interest in the game increases and we can negotiate similar terms next time around with scheduling fully handed back to the ARL Commission.

MrAnonymous

Bench
I'm over the 2 friday Night games, One is enough f**k ya's. f**king Broncos ruin everything, just to keep you Queensderp merkins happy.

Chook Norris

First Grade
we are the biggest and most attended domestic 'rugby' comp on earth. i think people tend to forget that or are completely unaware of this fact.

On what grounds are you measuring that though? The Super Rugby Season has 20 rounds. Therefore, less games and obviously lower aggregate attendances

nietsnie

Juniors
Would you Rather, being payed pittance and play in a fish bowl ? Or would you Rather being payed well and uleashing your talent to the world?

Latest posts