What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby league in dire straits in NSW as Queensland leads the way

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Refute them?

Why would I refute them, I agree with them you idiot.

So you agree with it? So why the deathriding of clubs? Ever heard of the Bears? Who are their supporters following, Manly ? :lol:

Of course Sydney will get larger crowds, it's bigger...

Is the penny dropping.....

As for who supports the game more per capita, who gives a sh*t, the game needs to grow more in both states if it is to compete with other sports.

Nope, penny hasn't dropped. Over 1.4m watched in Sydney, how many in Brisbane again.........

The problem with Sydney is there are too many teams in the NRL. That is why the crowds are so often poor, and clubs struggle to turn a profit, It is why QLd quite sensibly only has 3 clubs.

You still don't get it.

If League is #1 in Sydney, then the other sports can bleat as much as they want, they are not #1 in Austrlia's biggest city. That is why the AFL crap that they are the #1 code in Australia rings hollow.

There have been enough teams killed off or merged in Sydney.

It is also why your sh*t club should never have been readmitted. Get it yet?

Yeah, I heard you the first time. If it where up to you we would be playing games between the Broncos, Titans, Cowboys and a few manufactured sides in Sydney.

Here is a link so that you can choose their mascots:
http://www.nfl.com/teams

Ladmate

Bench
I feel sorry for QLDers, you have this genius in Sam I Am ruining reputation for QLDers on this board.

lockyrulz

Juniors
So you agree with it? So why the deathriding of clubs? Ever heard of the Bears? Who are their supporters following, Manly ?
Who knows, have you asked them? Who are all the new supporters following? Not the bears that is for sure, you do realise that not every league fan was born in the 1950's right? Penny dropping?

Is the penny dropping.....
It dropped a long time ago for most of us. Too many teams in Sydney.

Nope, penny hasn't dropped. Over 1.4m watched in Sydney, how many in Brisbane again.........
Yet the Broncos, Cowboys and Gold Coast both make profits and get good crowds, so in other words the amount of teams in QLD sensilby reflects the level of current support. Penny dropping?

You still don't get it.
I get it just fine. Sydney, according to you, has way more fans than QLd, yet it's clubs get smaller numbers. Simple really, too many teams.

There have been enough teams killed off or merged in Sydney.
So why can't any of your clubs regularly out perfom the QLD clubs in terms of profit or crowd figures?

Yeah, I heard you the first time. If it where up to you we would be playing games between the Broncos, Titans, Cowboys and a few manufactured sides in Sydney.
Me, Ken Arthurson, and anyone else in league with a shred of common sense.

Here is a link so that you can choose their mascots:
What no more 'bunnies' LOLZ the comp did just fine before you came back and bored us with your incessant medicority.

Fact is, the game wouldn't skip a beat if Souths got chucked out again.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
2008 Totals
NSW/ACT attendance: 1,801,137
QLD attendance: 877,757
VIC attendance: 149,686
NZ attendance: 137,325

2009 Totals so far
NSW/ACT attendance: 827,958
QLD attendance: 419,690
VIC attendance: 51,878
NZ attendance: 96,680

Yep, RL is in dire straits when NSW crowd totals double QLD's...

Garts

Bench
That data whilst useful it needs to show how many games were played in each state to reach those totals.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Fact is, the game wouldn't skip a beat if Souths got chucked out again.

Says it all really, you have NFI.

Why don't you ask your NEWS mates why they let us back in, despite winning the court case that said they could give us the arse.

That people like me who buy seasons passes every year found it hard to watch the game anymore and also refused to consume anything from NEWS certainly made its point.

So did you come up with any teams to replace all the clubs in Sydney yet?
How about the Sydney Buccaneers or maybe Sydney Redskins. :lol:

As I stated, you are worse than Fumbleball fans who deathride our code, because you are supposedly on the inside. People like you make me sick to the core, and to put it mildly, I wouldn't piss on you if you where on fire.

Cheers

otori

Juniors
2008 Totals
NSW/ACT attendance: 1,801,137
QLD attendance: 877,757
VIC attendance: 149,686
NZ attendance: 137,325

2009 Totals so far
NSW/ACT attendance: 827,958
QLD attendance: 419,690
VIC attendance: 51,878
NZ attendance: 96,680

Yep, RL is in dire straits when NSW crowd totals double QLD's...

Those figures reflect dick. If Queensland had 9 teams, there's no way of saying the figures wouldn't be just as high. I support the Knights but I'll go to Broncos matches if I've got the night off and there's a game on. If there were three or four different matches on a weekend around Brissy I'd probably go nearly every week. If you're going to use stats to try and back up what you're saying, at least get ones that actually prove your point. Of course QLD can't get as many fans per year because it's physically impossible due to less teams.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Those figures reflect dick. If Queensland had 9 teams, there's no way of saying the figures wouldn't be just as high. I support the Knights but I'll go to Broncos matches if I've got the night off and there's a game on. If there were three or four different matches on a weekend around Brissy I'd probably go nearly every week. If you're going to use stats to try and back up what you're saying, at least get ones that actually prove your point. Of course QLD can't get as many fans per year because it's physically impossible due to less teams.

So are the games in Queensland packed to the rafters?

Could of fooled me when I went up to watch the Titans.

otori

Juniors
So are the games in Queensland packed to the rafters?

Could of fooled me when I went up to watch the Titans.

Yes because that is exactly what I said in my post. How bout you try reading moron? I said that if there were more regular opportunities for people to attend league in Brisbane, the figures would be higher. We have one game a fortnight unless you're keen to drive to the coast so of course the numbers won't be as high.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Yes because that is exactly what I said in my post. How bout you try reading moron? I said that if there were more regular opportunities for people to attend league in Brisbane, the figures would be higher. We have one game a fortnight unless you're keen to drive to the coast so of course the numbers won't be as high.

No moron, if people are gagging for a game, then the place would be packed. So tell me how did they go the last time they had two clubs in Brisbane, did they pack it in there?

You seem to think that if they had 9 clubs that they would be averaging the same as the Broncos.

Timmah

Staff member
That's exactly the point I'm trying to make though - QLD's averages are so high because they have less chances to see footy. If they had more games... perhaps as many as Sydney, crowds would be lower, but aggregates higher. Simple maths. But I'm sure QLDers will protest that point too :roll:

otori

Juniors
No moron, if people are gagging for a game, then the place would be packed. So tell me how did they go the last time they had two clubs in Brisbane, did they pack it in there?

You seem to think that if they had 9 clubs that they would be averaging the same as the Broncos.

I love it how again instead of actually addressing my post you just reinterpret what you wanted me to say so you can talk about that.

I never said Brisbane packed out any stadiums or that a 9 club Brisbane would be averaging the same as the Broncos. I never said people were gagging for the game, simply that more games will equal more people turning out. If we had two teams which meant a weekly game then we'd have more numbers in Timmah's stats. You can't refute that. Just because the second team might not average as highly as the Broncos, they'd still get supporters because people in Brisbane would have more options JUST LIKE IN SYDNEY.

otori

Juniors
That's exactly the point I'm trying to make though - QLD's averages are so high because they have less chances to see footy. If they had more games... perhaps as many as Sydney, crowds would be lower, but aggregates higher. Simple maths. But I'm sure QLDers will protest that point too :roll:

What you're saying is true. If Brisbane had as many games as Sydney the average wouldn't be at all higher because there'd be too many games for the city to sustain. I was simply saying the figures were flawed because they represent aggregates which you've just agreed would be higher?

Timmah

Staff member
By the way, Super League was proof positive that a rationalised, nationwide competition isn't a guaranteed success.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
I love it how again instead of actually addressing my post you just reinterpret what you wanted me to say so you can talk about that.

I never said Brisbane packed out any stadiums or that a 9 club Brisbane would be averaging the same as the Broncos. I never said people were gagging for the game, simply that more games will equal more people turning out. If we had two teams which meant a weekly game then we'd have more numbers in Timmah's stats. You can't refute that. Just because the second team might not average as highly as the Broncos, they'd still get supporters because people in Brisbane would have more options JUST LIKE IN SYDNEY.

Of course Brisbane needs a second team, probably a third, but not at the expense of Sydney clubs. It is funny that there are plenty of supporters here who are pro the game and for expansion, but all we get the other way is expansion combined with extinction.

I cannot see Australia's population falling in the next 20, 50 or 100 years, and if you even take the lowest ABS projections, Sydney will be punching up around 6 million people by the end of our lifetimes, so keeping the numbers of clubs steady in Sydney makes sense.

Timmah

Staff member
What you're saying is true. If Brisbane had as many games as Sydney the average wouldn't be at all higher because there'd be too many games for the city to sustain. I was simply saying the figures were flawed because they represent aggregates which you've just agreed would be higher?

The reason I present those figures is because people think it's the "in thing" to just rubbish crowds in NSW despite any number of factors. People say there's "no excuses" yet when a QLD crowd is criticised the lines are all trotted out.

I think we should enjoy the fact that by and large there's been an increase on most club home averages over the past 5-10 years. The membership drive is aiming to grow that over the coming years in much the same way AFL did 20 years ago.

Perth Red

Post Whore
By the way, Super League was proof positive that a rationalised, nationwide competition isn't a guaranteed success.

If you take out the two extra teams in the ARL comp in 97 the SL and ARL comps drew virtually exactly the same number of fans, so nope you can't say that there was any proof from an attendance point of view.

The SL comp had 6 teams with over 10,000avg, the ARL only 5.

otori

Juniors
Of course Brisbane needs a second team, probably a third, but not at the expense of Sydney clubs. It is funny that there are plenty of supporters here who are pro the game and for expansion, but all we get the other way is expansion combined with extinction.

I cannot see Australia's population falling in the next 20, 50 or 100 years, and if you even take the lowest ABS projections, Sydney will be punching up around 6 million people by the end of our lifetimes, so keeping the numbers of clubs steady in Sydney makes sense.

I don't want any Sydney clubs to die (well the Sharks are a waste of space IMO but that's another story), as I said before I support Newcastle but I'm a rugby league fan and a lot of other people in Brisbane are so more games would equal higher figures. This doesn't have to come at the expense of Sydney clubs, the only reason I posted was because I thought the aggregate figures were unfair because they don't represent the full picture. If there was more opportunity to go to games, I would go simply because Suncorp is f**king awesome to watch ANYTHING at. I've gone to Super 14 and A-League in the past just because it's nice to go spectate.

Timmah I agree with what you're saying re: QLDers trotting out the same crap about low crowd figures etc. I hate the Courier Mail and dribblers like Gillmeister who clearly have someone who isn't a neanderthal write their columns (though I have a healthy amount of respect for Mike Colman and think he's an intelligent guy).

_Johnsy

Referee
It is also why your sh*t club should never have been readmitted. Get it yet?

i hate souths as much as anyone, but this is a blatant show of how much you disrespect the games history.

Is it a wonder some people show nothing but contempt for the broncs, when they have fans like you ? The only thing that saves your club, is that supporters like you are the minority of true Bronco/QLD Rugby League supporters.

Latest posts