What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby league in dire straits in NSW as Queensland leads the way

_Johnsy

Referee
Came from you, buddy. I quote:

You have claimed that there were only 22,200 locals. Explain yourself. Did they come from New Zealand?

You have clearly said that you were only counting what you called locals, and not the rest. Please explain.

I'll slow it down for you. I estimated that there were approx 40% NZ fans at last nights game, this equates to approx 22,200 QLD based Aus fans (excluding those travelling from interstate, so the real figure may be lower).

I said that the approx. 22,200 Aus supporters from an area of approx 3.5 million people was quite pathetic, especially when we often hear that this very area is considered the RL heartland of Australia.

You decided to introduce race, not me (How very QLD that is). What a sad indictment this is of your character.

Surely this is not too much of a stretch to join the dots on your own. At least your name is accurate indicator of your IQ.

Sam I Am

Juniors
I'll slow it down for you. I estimated that there were approx 40% NZ fans at last nights game, this equates to approx 22,200 QLD based Aus fans (excluding those travelling from interstate, so the real figure may be lower).

I said that the approx. 22,200 Aus supporters from an area of approx 3.5 million people was quite pathetic, especially when we often hear that this very area is considered the RL heartland of Australia.

Maybe I should slow things down a notch further for you. You seem to be missing the point, however, I am not entirely surprised by that.

What justification to you have for excluding a third of the crowd? None, beyond taking it down to levels that a Sydney-sider would find acceptable. Unless, sadly, but not surprisingly from a city that seems to embrace the likes of Alan Jones, you are excluding them because they hail from another country. Can you keep up? Probably not.

I find it very amusing that you say there are 3.5 million people who live around the ground ready to pop in and watch a game. I am sure there were many commuters ready to drop in from Mount Isa or Bamaga. Nice work! :lol:

Sam I Am

Juniors
You decided to introduce race, not me (How very QLD that is). What a sad indictment this is of your character.

Introduce race by saying that it is not a valid characteristic by which to exclude people? If that's sad then sign me up. Last time I checked that would make my attitudes inclusive. I am happy with that. It's a bit of a shame that you find inclusivity "sad".

_Johnsy

Referee
That's right. We can only include games that might compare favourably. We must ignore games that were utterly woeful. Such as a World Cup semi-final.

Nice work. Nice use of selective statistics. Better head back to Year 7 for a refresher course.

That is true, compare a one off test with the same test last year. I take it you missed this part that I wrote in your haste to lay the boot in.

Lets compare apples with apples, last time Aus played NZ in sydney, the crowd was 34,571, not a good enough crowd, just like last night.

Sam I Am

Juniors
That is true, compare a one off test with the same test last year. I take it you missed this part that I wrote in your haste to lay the boot in.

Haste isn't something that I would use to describe your thought processes. Compare as many one off Tests as you want. Brisbane comes out on top. It is pretty stupid of you to even try and compete on this criteria.

Compare tournaments as well. Tri-nations 2006. World Cup. Guess what? Brisbane on top again.

Do you really want to go down that path?

_Johnsy

Referee
Introduce race by saying that it is not a valid characteristic by which to exclude people? If that's sad then sign me up. Last time I checked that would make my attitudes inclusive. I am happy with that. It's a bit of a shame that you find inclusivity "sad".

But you claimed I did, lying now as well.

If you are going to try and twist my words in a lame effort to score a cheap point on an internet forum, go ahead.

Using fans support in a two team contest (AUS - NZ) is a valid point. It has nothing whatsoever to do with race. You have assumed this is what I meant.

Continue to argue about semantics if you must, or you could go back and answer all the questions put to you, that you have conveniently ignored.

Sam I Am

Juniors
Using fans support in a two team contest (AUS - NZ) is a valid point.

How is it valid?

Does this mean that I can remove 10,000 people from the SCG crowd last year and show that it was half empty? Is so, the Sydney crowd becomes even more pathetic.

What's good for the goose (and since this was your idea, you can be the goose) is good for the gander.

_Johnsy

Referee
Haste isn't something that I would use to describe your thought processes. Compare as many one off Tests as you want. Brisbane comes out on top. It is pretty stupid of you to even try and compete on this criteria.

Compare tournaments as well. Tri-nations 2006. World Cup. Guess what? Brisbane on top again.

Do you really want to go down that path?

Sam you are indeed.

When used haste it was in relation to you, not me. catch up please.

The crowd figure I used was from the May 9 2008, one off test in sydney. I stated earlier in the thread that the crowd I referred to in Sydney was not good enough, and less than the Brisbane crowd last night. It's a pretty simple concept.

You can compare whatever you like, if this is the direction you wish to take, knock youself out. Afterall, when you can get a crowd of over 100,000 people then we'll have a chat.

Sam I Am

Juniors
The crowd figure I used was from the May 9 2008, one off test in sydney. I stated earlier in the thread that the crowd I referred to in Sydney was not good enough, and less than the Brisbane crowd last night. It's a pretty simple concept.

You can compare whatever you like, if this is the direction you wish to take, knock youself out. Afterall, when you can get a crowd of over 100,000 people then we'll have a chat.

It's nice that Sydney once pulled a couple of big crowds. Bully for you. In the last few years it has been a different story. Can't sell out the grand final every year. One off Test crowds beaten by Brisbane. Tournament crowds beaten by Brisbane. Hell, club crowds decimated by Brisbane.

Guess you're right not to chat about that, because without reminiscing about glory days in the past, Sydney rugby league truly has nothing other than debt, vested interests and a dwindling group of followers. C'est la vie. Move on.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Brisbane couldn't even sell out the World Cup final. I rocked up a couple of hours before kick off and got a ticket. A bit disappointing for the "heartland".

Sam I Am

Juniors
Brisbane couldn't even sell out the World Cup final. I rocked up a couple of hours before kick off and got a ticket. A bit disappointing for the "heartland".

Last time I checked Suncorp had over 50,000. That's 50, as opposed to the 15,000 that watched the Kangaroos play at the SFS the weekend before. Bit pathetic for "heartland" down there, I think.

babyg

Juniors
I don't know how anyone can compare Brisbane's support for tests to Sydney's. I'm with SamIam the whole way.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So the answer to the AFL invasion of western Sydney is 9 Sydney teams playing in near empty stadiums? I don't think so.
:shock: You're deadset a Tele journo. "Near empty stadiums"? For a start, it's stadia, and secondly, EVERY CLUB (even Cronulla) has upped their average over 10,000 in the past five years. We had just TWO crowds below 7,000 last year and so far have had none under 8,000 this year. Yeah, we can do a lot to up crowds, but the inference that most Sydney matches are played in "near empty stadiums" really only applies to Cronulla and they're even manage 8k+.
That would be "not full". How about the last time that Australia played in Sydney? 15,000. How's that for close to full?

Try again.
When did Australia last play Fiji in Brisbane? How can you compare a Sydney crowd to a Brisbane crowd when Brisbane haven't ever hosted the event?
It's nice that Sydney once pulled a couple of big crowds. Bully for you. In the last few years it has been a different story. Can't sell out the grand final every year. One off Test crowds beaten by Brisbane. Tournament crowds beaten by Brisbane. Hell, club crowds decimated by Brisbane.

Guess you're right not to chat about that, because without reminiscing about glory days in the past, Sydney rugby league truly has nothing other than debt, vested interests and a dwindling group of followers. C'est la vie. Move on.
LOL, can't sell out the Grand Final? When was the last time Brisbane consistently drew 80,000 to... oh, you don't have the ground? Oh well, tough titties. Lobby your government for a bigger stadium that can cater to 70 to 90k of people, then we'll talk.
And by the way, Sydney's support dwindling? 1.48 million fans through the gates in 2008 in Sydney (excluding Canberra & Newcastle) compared to QLD's (not including NQ), for your 660,500. Yeah, heaps dwindling.
lol @ Brisbane. 2k short of capacity for the highest game at the highest level in Rugby League. Disgraceful.
That's right. We can only include games that might compare favourably. We must ignore games that were utterly woeful. Such as a World Cup semi-final.

Nice work. Nice use of selective statistics. Better head back to Year 7 for a refresher course.
:lol: While you're working on those selective statistics I should probably give everyone the full facts.
World Cup Semi Final 15 November 2008 - Suncorp Stadium - 26,659.
Yes, we must ignore games that were utterly woeful. Such as a World Cup semi final.

:) have a nice day.

Timmah

Staff member
I don't know how anyone can compare Brisbane's support for tests to Sydney's. I'm with SamIam the whole way.

It's perfectly fair, the SCG was at near capacity (within 99% of seats occupied) in 2008 - meanwhile there were up 15,000 vacant seats at Suncorp last night. Brisbane had a bigger venue to fill in this case and couldn't do it.

TheBourbonBeast

Juniors
LOL, can't sell out the Grand Final? When was the last time Brisbane consistently drew 80,000 to... oh, you don't have the ground? Oh well, tough titties. Lobby your government for a bigger stadium that can cater to 70 to 90k of people, then we'll talk.

Now why would the state of QLD waste half a billion dollars doing that? We've seen your white elephant. We laugh at it. Every crappy sydney club game played in front of 70,000 empty blue seats. Why would we make the same mistake? Its irrational thinking like that that supports my belief that the sydney crowd arent smart enough to fix their own backyard, and are going to need a progressive thinking outsider to drag them out of the doldrums.

Butters

Bench
:lol: While you're working on those selective statistics I should probably give everyone the full facts.
Yes, we must ignore games that were utterly woeful. Such as a World Cup semi final.

Yes what a pathetic crowd, i mean Sydney only drew 12k less for a semi-final involving Australia... :roll:

Timmah

Staff member
Oh, so it's gone from "World Cup Semi-Final" to "must involve Australia" now?

Surely any match in the World Cup at such a venue should be drawing bigger crowds...

TheBourbonBeast said:
Now why would the state of QLD waste half a billion dollars doing that? We've seen your white elephant. We laugh at it. Every crappy sydney club game played in front of 70,000 empty blue seats. Why would we make the same mistake? Its irrational thinking like that that supports my belief that the sydney crowd arent smart enough to fix their own backyard, and are going to need a progressive thinking outsider to drag them out of the doldrums.

70,000 empty blue seats? The teams playing at ANZ Stadium have been consistently the best drawing ones in Sydney over the past 5 years - the Bulldogs, South Sydney and Wests Tigers. Our white elephant holds more than Suncorp in Origin and always easily eclipses the paltry 52,000 you can fit, and is always within 5% of capacity on Grand Final day.

TheBourbonBeast

Juniors
. Our white elephant holds more than Suncorp in Origin and always easily eclipses the paltry 52,000 you can fit, and is always within 5% of capacity on Grand Final day.

but at ours we have a great atmosphere, can actually see the footy, and consistently gets 40k to club matches. I'd rather that then your white elephant. I dont know why you are even trying to defend that sh*thole. Give up, admit you hate ANZ. Move to QLD, support the broncs, and live happily ever after. :D

Sam I Am

Juniors
When did Australia last play Fiji in Brisbane? How can you compare a Sydney crowd to a Brisbane crowd when Brisbane haven't ever hosted the event?

Fiji haven't played in Brisbane.

Interestingly, however, a World Cup in which Australia didn't even play on the same weekend got 10,000 more in Brisbane than one in Sydney involving Australia did. Says it all really.

LOL, can't sell out the Grand Final?

ANZ Stadium holds 82,500. Let's look at recent attendances:

2008: 80,388
2007: 81,392
2006: 79,609
2005: 82,453

That's right: it has been four years since something looking like a sell out for the grand final in Sydney. Pathetic. Time to move it north of the border!

:) have a nice day.

Thanks for quoting that. Brisbane got almost double what Sydney did - and you pathetic southerners actually had the incentive of getting along to see Australia. Pretty ordinary!:lol:

Sam I Am

Juniors
70,000 empty blue seats? The teams playing at ANZ Stadium have been consistently the best drawing ones in Sydney over the past 5 years - the Bulldogs, South Sydney and Wests Tigers.

Souths still counting trainers as part of the crowd?

Our white elephant holds more than Suncorp in Origin and always easily eclipses the paltry 52,000 you can fit, and is always within 5% of capacity on Grand Final day.

Can't even sell out the grand final? Do we need any more proof that Sydney is dragging the game down? :D

Latest posts