What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby league in dire straits in NSW as Queensland leads the way

Gee, the heartland of league can't sell out a grand final.

Heartland? Wasteland.

Pathetic "supporters".

You have used that "heartland, wasteland" thing at least three times today and it does not get any smarter the more you use it. But hey good luck to you Sam, hope you get a GF one day.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I love that logic... "tests don't matter" but "ours outdrew yours"

Pick one, f**knuckles.

Timmah

Staff member
So the best justification for not being able to sell out a grand final in the self-declared heartland of Australian rugby league is that you host more games than Melbourne?

Face facts: Sydney can't sell out Grand Finals. Can't sell out Origin. Maybe you should move your big games to Orange.
And Brisbane can't sell out the World Cup Final. F**king shameful.
Gee, the heartland of league can't sell out a grand final.

Heartland? Wasteland.

Pathetic "supporters".
Hmmm, so it would be OK for two out-of-town teams to draw poorly at Suncorp, but the moment 79k pack into an 83.5k ground to watch two teams that reside 1000km in each direction... that's not good enough?

You've got to be sh*tstirring now, you're so thin on logic it's beyond funny.

Sam I Am

Juniors
And Brisbane can't sell out the World Cup Final. F**king shameful.

Hmmm, so it would be OK for two out-of-town teams to draw poorly at Suncorp, but the moment 79k pack into an 83.5k ground to watch two teams that reside 1000km in each direction... that's not good enough?

You've got to be sh*tstirring now, you're so thin on logic it's beyond funny.

Where did I say that? You're very desperate to put words in my mouth like that.

Logic? Pretty simple. Let's see if you can follow it, chump:

1. The crowd last night at Lang Park was good. Furthermore, it was higher than any international in Sydney since 1992. Sydney international crowds are generally poor.
  2. Sydney's clubs average half, or less, than the Broncos. Sydney club crowds are generally poor.
  3. Sydney generally cannot sell out Origin. This is poor.
  4. Sydney cannot regularly sell out the NRL Grand Final. This is completely unacceptable.
As I said. Pretty simple.

_Johnsy

Referee
let's remember that David Barnhill, Graham Mackay, Willie Mason and Luke Ricketson have all represented other countries. Strange how you cockroaches forget that.

Big difference, each of the players named all played for NSW before playing for "the other" countries you mention. How I hear you ask? when there is a world cup, a player can represent another nation if he is not chosen for Australia/NZ etc, if he qualifies through world cup qualification rules. eg, Ricketson - Ireland.

Pigskin

Juniors
Lets just say. The crowd of 79k was two out of state teams and only 4k below a sellout.

Do you think that Penrith and Cronulla will get 48k? Answer the question.

any 2 Sydney teams playing a GF in Brisbane will most definitely be a sellout

we support our footy up here :D

however if 2 Sydney teams were to meet, perhaps only 20k will turn up ... although having purchased the tickets mid-year when the combatants were not known, once the realisation that 2 dud teams were playing, many would simply stay home :lol:

Oink !

Timmah

Staff member
Bullsh*t you "support your footy up there". Cowboys/Dogs @ Suncorp managed a sub-10k crowd last year.

Sam I Am

Juniors
Big difference, each of the players named all played for NSW before playing for "the other" countries you mention. How I hear you ask? when there is a world cup, a player can represent another nation if he is not chosen for Australia/NZ etc, if he qualifies through world cup qualification rules. eg, Ricketson - Ireland.

Name me a Queensland player who represented New Zealand before representing Queensland.

Pigskin

Juniors
Bullsh*t you "support your footy up there". Cowboys/Dogs @ Suncorp managed a sub-10k crowd last year.

I can't help it if the Dogs take a home game to Suncorp against the Cowboys and nobody turns up ... I also can't help it if both teams at the time couldn't score in a brothel

If your beloved Dogs took the game to Townsville as any intelligent administrator would have, you would have got a decent crowd ... still the 10k you quote is pretty decent compared to Sydney crowds nowadays

Oink !

KHunt

Juniors
Where did I say that? You're very desperate to put words in my mouth like that.

Logic? Pretty simple. Let's see if you can follow it, chump:

1. The crowd last night at Lang Park was good. Furthermore, it was higher than any international in Sydney since 1992. Sydney international crowds are generally poor.
  2. Sydney's clubs average half, or less, than the Broncos. Sydney club crowds are generally poor.
  3. Sydney generally cannot sell out Origin. This is poor.
  4. Sydney cannot regularly sell out the NRL Grand Final. This is completely unacceptable.
As I said. Pretty simple.

1. Sydney people have more games to attend, and don't have the money to go to every single rep game too.
2. Not that hard when BRISBANE IS A ONE TEAM TOWN AND SYDNEY HAS NINE TEAMS. 9 x 15,000 = 135,000 every two weeks, 1 x 33,000 (Broncos average last year) = 33,000 every two weeks. Explain that one.
3. Dunno about this one. See 1.
4. 80,000 every year. What's wrong with that?

That's the problem with our game. Courier Mail tripe on about an us vs thing them, too many whingers bitching because they believe everything they read in the courier trash and just do not understand the demographics of Sydney.

I'm a Queenslander, but Sydney juniors playing in the NRL = 124. Brisbane juniors = 26 :?
Penrith alone had 26.

For people who think it's unacceptable if Sydney just miss sell-out on a Grand Final.
Consider this. It's still a f*ckload higher crowd than it would be in a smaller stadium.

Sam I Am

Juniors
Finally, somebody is actually attempting to respond, instead of just abusing. Of course, the response is complete tripe, but it is a start.

1. Sydney people have more games to attend, and don't have the money to go to every single rep game too.
2. Not that hard when BRISBANE IS A ONE TEAM TOWN AND SYDNEY HAS NINE TEAMS. 9 x 15,000 = 135,000 every two weeks, 1 x 33,000 (Broncos average last year) = 33,000 every two weeks. Explain that one.
3. Dunno about this one. See 1.
4. 80,000 every year. What's wrong with that?

1. Nonsense. If I follow a team in Sydney I have a dozen or so home games to get to as well as a rep game. Exactly the same as in Brisbane. Indeed, because Sydney teams have to relocate games due to poor support, the Sydney-sider has fewer games to draw on the wallet before the rep season!
  2. Nonsense. Sounds like an easy answer, but the fact is that Brisbane have doubled their attendence from low, almost Sydney-like levels, at the turn of the century to the high levels they enjoy now. What have the Sydney clubs done to try and build crowds? Whinge about the pokie tax?
  3. See for yourself in a few weeks.
  4. False. Indeed, there was a sub-80000 crowd only a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, Sydney simply cannot sell out the grand final for the sport that it supposedly loves. Very sad.

Last edited:

Sam I Am

Juniors
For people who think it's unacceptable if Sydney just miss sell-out on a Grand Final.
Consider this. It's still a f*ckload higher crowd than it would be in a smaller stadium.

Thanks for that contribution to the debate. I am sure that it added a lot.

For those who think that it is acceptable that Sydney can't sell out what should easily be the highest profile game of the year, consider this: get a clue! It is pathetic!

Liam

Juniors
Sam, even if Brisbane sold out the GF, it would be at least 25k less than Sydney.

Sam I Am

Juniors
Sam, even if Brisbane sold out the GF, it would be at least 25k less than Sydney.

Don't remember claiming otherwise, but it is reassuring dealing with someone around here who has a basic grasp on numbers.

Knightmare

Coach
Finally, somebody is actually attempting to respond, instead of just abusing. Of course, the response is complete tripe, but it is a start.

1. Nonsense. If I follow a team in Sydney I have a dozen or so home games to get to as well as a rep game. Exactly the same as in Brisbane. Indeed, because Sydney teams have to relocate games due to poor support, the Sydney-sider has fewer games to draw on the wallet before the rep season!
  2. Nonsense. Sounds like an easy answer, but the fact is that Brisbane have doubled their attendence from low, almost Sydney-like levels, at the turn of the century to the high levels they enjoy now. What have the Sydney clubs done to try and build crowds? Whinge about the pokie tax?
  3. See for yourself in a few weeks.
  4. False. Indeed, there was a sub-80000 crowd only a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, Sydney simply cannot sell out the grand final for the sport that it supposedly loves. Very sad.

Sorry, that's a small-minded argument to be using. Let's suppose for a moment that you live in Sydney and you follow the Bulldogs. Not only will you get to see your team play at ANZ stadium 12 times in the season, but you will also be just as able to see them play the Panthers, Eels, Tigers, Sharks, Roosters, Rabbitohs, Dragons and Sea Eagles away. That's an additional 8 games. 10 if you make day-trips to Newcastle and Canberra. And then there is the strong chance that you have friends who don't follow the 'Dogs and you will go to see games where their teams are playing but the Bulldogs aren't. Case in point- so far I have seen the Knights play Souths, Manly, the Warriors and the Wests Tigers. I have also attended the Souths- Roosters match and the Storm-Sea Eagles match last Friday night. I am going to see the Knights play the Titans tomorrow (on top of having to purchase a return ticker to Newcastle, which will be over $10. That's right Queenslanders, we don't get subsidised public transport to games down here) and then am going to see the Storm play the Roosters on Monday night.

It's only Round 9 but by Tuesday I will have paid to go and see EIGHT games of footy. Only 5 less than what the average Queenslander will have seen by Round 26. Thing is, there are plenty of Sydneysiders (Holy Toledo Batman!) that are just like me. But somehow, because we don't wear Maroon come Origin time, don't think Bundy Rum is the nectar of the gods and don't think The Courier Mail is the last bastion of truth in a world of Sydney/ NSW bias, we are apparently not as passionate about League as certain others.

Last edited: