What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League is Dying

NRL v Union isn't about comparing domestic competition to international competition for most league fans. It's comparing something you enjoy watching to something that bores the living shit out of you, to the point the missus can turn the Tele over to master chef and you don't give a shit

Yes...this. I'll even watch Bridget Jones if she puts it on.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
To answer the OP, imo its not dying but it is regressing and certainly not growing in the areas of crowds, playing numbers and national interest. Lack of vision from the clubs and NRL admin as well as an inibility to market the game will see it continue to regress while others expand there professional footprint. Honestly the AFL will have 20 teams before the NRL seriously looks at expansion. International footy has been eroded with mid season tests for australia and NZ no more and clubs/players taking the piss out of selection and elibibility.

LESStar58

Referee
To answer the OP, imo its not dying but it is regressing and certainly not growing in the areas of crowds, playing numbers and national interest. Lack of vision from the clubs and NRL admin as well as an inibility to market the game will see it continue to regress while others expand there professional footprint. Honestly the AFL will have 20 teams before the NRL seriously looks at expansion. International footy has been eroded with mid season tests for australia and NZ no more and clubs/players taking the piss out of selection and elibibility.

Where are the AFL going to put them? Tasmania can't even get a look on and its one of the only places that really wants it? There is talk of a North Queensland side which is just laughable.

The administration is the thing holding us back. I'll give you that.

ram raid

Bench
The marketing is good for what they're going for. It's all about the tv. Who gives a shit about the crowds, grass roots development, etc. Get views and fox subscriptions. That's their philosophy and it's working brilliantly. Maybe it's not in the long term interest but that's another story.

Delboy

First Grade
Greenberg is a muppet who is more concerned with his media image and looking after the power brokers than the game.

His ongoing ignorance of the lop sided TPA issue that gives clubs like the Broncos, Roosters and Dogs a distinct advantage underlines where he is controlled from. A sad day when the politicians managed to get rid of the independent Dave Smith and placed him in power.

mongoose

Coach
Where are the AFL going to put them? Tasmania can't even get a look on and its one of the only places that really wants it? There is talk of a North Queensland side which is just laughable.

Greater Southwest Sydney and Greater Greater Western Sydney. Since GWS has now taken over west sydney, its only inevitable more sydney AFL teams will come. :sarcasm:

Anyone who thinks Dave Smith departure was or is good for RL is brain dead .
He was independent.
Hard nosed...he took on MUrdoch .

Just what we needed .

Sad sad sad day for RL .
Now look what we have
Yes man Greenberg .
The old NSWRL factions are still pulling the strings behind the scenes .

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
NRL v Union isn't about comparing domestic competition to international competition for most league fans. It's comparing something you enjoy watching to something that bores the living shit out of you, to the point the missus can turn the Tele over to master chef and you don't give a shit

I think the point was that PLAYERS choose to switch despite the money being about the same and the game being boring as shit....

RUs international games and the RUWC in particular are just so much more prestigious than anything RL has to offer. We have a club comp that average 13k per game and an international comp with 2 competitive teams. Origin is great, but we do our best to make sure people arent allowed to compete in that.

Basically RL is a great game, but everything outside of the 26 players on the field sucks a massive dick........

I think the point was that PLAYERS choose to switch despite the money being about the same and the game being boring as shit....

RUs international games and the RUWC in particular are just so much more prestigious than anything RL has to offer. We have a club comp that average 13k per game and an international comp with 2 competitive teams. Origin is great, but we do our best to make sure people arent allowed to compete in that.

Basically RL is a great game, but everything outside of the 26 players on the field sucks a massive dick........

Ok got it. But as for the last comment, speak for yourself

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I think you may have misunderstood the OP.

Card Shark

Immortal
Anyone who thinks Dave Smith departure was or is good for RL is brain dead .
He was independent.
Hard nosed...he took on MUrdoch .

Just what we needed .

Sad sad sad day for RL .
Now look what we have
Yes man Greenberg .
The old NSWRL factions are still pulling the strings behind the scenes .

Agree

But it's what a lot wished for.

CC_Roosters

First Grade

They could easily put a 3rd side in WA and with their history of parachuting teams into NSW and QLD, could you really rule out North Qld or any other part of the two states. If they went to 20 you could only assume Tasmania would be one of the sides

hutch

First Grade

Since when has the NRL averaged 13k? The NRL is the biggest domestic rugby comp on earth for crowds.

Bronxnation

Juniors

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAA! International Union only has ONE team. Anyone that thinks another nation can beat the all blacks is kidding themselves. I think an all blacks vs the world would even be won by the all blacks. At least in league Australia and New Zealand both have a chance of winning. And I personally think other nations are Closing in

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Since when has the NRL averaged 13k? The NRL is the biggest domestic rugby comp on earth for crowds.

It was the number DSmith used to talk about...

Take away the outlyers (one-off matchs that hit 40/50k) and the average has been steady at 13k for more than a decade. Take away Brisbane and that gets even worse

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAA! International Union only has ONE team. Anyone that thinks another nation can beat the all blacks is kidding themselves. I think an all blacks vs the world would even be won by the all blacks.

I havent watched an RU game in years, so im not going to pretend i know the in form teams...

But even i know the Bledislow and the RUWC have a lot of prestige around them (definitely way more than they deserve given the product:roll:)

We have 4 genuinely prestigious games; the GF and the 3 Origin games. As in, we can have a terrible game and people will still gush about how great it was.

At least in league Australia and New Zealand both have a chance of winning. And I personally think other nations are Closing in

Probably why Australia is trying to hoard all the good players...

Bronxnation

Juniors
Tackle stat just came up MOST tackles is some English guy with 15!!! A WHOPPING AMMOUNT.. Probs would of been even less cause Australia has had 20 phases on the England line in the first half and maybe 17 more in the 2nd. 60th min in

Perth Red

Post Whore

There is a long term potential plan for a third team in WA to cover the growing northern suburbs called Joondalup somethings. Wouldn't be surprised if another Brisbane team entered as well if they ever do go to 20 teams.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Money's not the same. The mid standard of player that moves from RL to union can earn a lot more in Union. Burgess went to bath for $1million, probably 25% more than he earnt in NRL. Then the earning potential in tpa is much greater in Union. Go to France and the union pay day is even bigger.