What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Live 2

Parra Pride

Referee
as microsoft has approved it i can't see sony knocking it back. i reckon a release date will be announced in the next 2 days or so. giving them 3-4 weeks to produce it. so a late september early october release would be on the cards. i'm predicting first week after the gf

Apparently production takes 6 weeks minimum, I'd say mid-late October.

Micistm

Bench
Was in our local independant game store, which sticks up lists of games with upcoming release dates. You do take them with a grain of salt as they can, and often do, change. But they have this game listed as Sept 28th.
How accurate, who knows?

Parra Pride

Referee
Was in our local independant game store, which sticks up lists of games with upcoming release dates. You do take them with a grain of salt as they can, and often do, change. But they have this game listed as Sept 28th.
How accurate, who knows?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say they're wrong. However I'm happy, in fact I'll be ecstatic, to be proven wrong.

azsportza

Live Update Team
These are the controls I have worked out from playing and talking to those who have played RLL2

RLL2ControlsXbox360.jpg

RLL2ControlsPS3.jpg

natheel

Coach
Kicking seems to be good button combos. Hated rl3 kicking buttons. Wy too close to eachother

natheel

Coach
I never could get grubbers right in RL3, always ended up bombing, and I could never get field goals to go more than 15-20 metres.

yeh the buttons being to close (game cube control) made me hit the buttons with my right thumb and i could never get them at the same time most of the time so i was always bombing and yeh field goals were only successful form inside the 20. Hope the wind really plays part in kicking being successful in RLL2

Parra Pride

Referee
yeh the buttons being to close (game cube control) made me hit the buttons with my right thumb and i could never get them at the same time most of the time so i was always bombing and yeh field goals were only successful form inside the 20. Hope the wind really plays part in kicking being successful in RLL2

Bomb and grubber are the same button using the Wii control, you're ment to tilt up to bomb, or down to grubber, however I'd always bomb even if I tilted the remote down.

natheel

Coach
Bomb and grubber are the same button using the Wii control, you're ment to tilt up to bomb, or down to grubber, however I'd always bomb even if I tilted the remote down.

ahh ok yeh the Grubber for the control is 2 buttons so i just usually chosse a short kick and try regather. I can't wait to use a strategic type of kick to get possession or nail them in their in-goal. Can't wait to use a massive Sandow bomb for Hayne to claim and go over for a try.

MattYg1

Bench
Apparently the showboat button is a little Pre Try celebration ala Chris Sandow...

By the way not entirely happy with the what the rep did at EB Games and JB Hi Fi yesteday in Miranda...

Was down at JB at 3pm and there was nothing there so seeing as i had other things to do we left and strolled by EB Games saw the game in there, so went in to play it and me and my brother got 2 minutes play before he said

"gotta shoot down to JB hi fi guys sorry", by the time we got to JB Hi Fi there was a line of about 10 people ahead of us... could of at least let us finish the game we were playing...

Anyway the short amount I played and watched did impress me even though the two guys i watched playing it must have had Rugby League confused with Hot Potato... what is it with people playing a Rugby League game where all they want to do is score points on every tackle... I can definatly assure anybody who hasnt seen it and is worried that all the intercepts and loose balls come simply from not knowing the controls and or how to play a game of rugby league. (The kid caught the ball off the kick off with Corey Payne, ran across field and threw a pass over the sideline... OFF the kick off!!!)

I was impressed by how weighty it felt, players felt like there feet were planted on the ground and not ice skating. Also on one hit up my brother tried to shoulder charge me but i bounced off and kept going until i was gang tackled and put to ground... That blew my mind that the shoulder charge didnt just turn into a canned animation but was somewhat innefective to me...

The game will have its quirks and annoyances but i feel pretty confident that this will be the best League game to date and a really really good platform moving fowared.

I tip my hat to the folks at Big Ant...

Last edited:

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
I played approximately 5 games on Saturday,

After my 5th game, I still enjoyed the game. I wasnt able to play 2 games of RLL1 without returning that steaming pile of shit.

I was telling the rep how the first game probably put a lot of people off. In reply he stated that the first one was shocking and the dev team are trying hard to not speak of the past tittle.

From the conversation, I could see that they generally hated the first game..which is puzzling considering they bloody released the game lol.

Anyhow in regards to a review,

My first game I played as the Raiders, vs the Eels. Firstly, nearly all the teams have similar team statistics and they are generally evenly balanced. The difference is the superstar players really do stand out. Dugan sliced through often late in the games, especially around the big props, he would always get run down..bloody slow but decent acceleration.

Straight from the kickoff, you could see that the game has evolved leaps and bounds. Watching as players direct one another to get into formation and etc. The guys I played were pretty crap, they tried to play this like it was touch footy.

Passing out wide often will lead to intercepts, especially if your run at the line and throw a huge cut out pass. The defenders will make the play, the only thing is that I found myself pressing the tackle button, when the ball was near me trying to put the shot on the attacking side. But since the intercept happens so quick, I would press the tackle button at the time of the intercept and find myself kicking the ball away immediately after the intercept.

The massive cut passes are still in the game. Not as often, but they exist, especially from dummy half. The only positive is that when the long ball is thrown from dummy half, the defenders move up quick and the attackers dont have the momentum.

short passes/offloads/flick passes - all in the game, some crazy looking animation for these passes. I had a Shillington take a hit up close to the try line, his momentum carried him forward, although in the process he turned his body and gave an offload to Travis Waddel, who dived over for the try. Ive probably described it as shit as possible, but the way the play transitioned, it looked awesome.

In regards to offloads, players do not randomly get the ball away like they did in Rugby Challenge. The offload depends on the attacking player, the tacklers position and whether the upper body is free. As an example the dive tackle around the legs would leave the offload open.

General kicking is pretty good, the guys I played against waited until the last tackle to kick and always ran at the line before trying to boot it away. This is probably the hardest aspect of the game, as it does not slow down and players rush up, guess its a good thing as I did not see any 40/20s.

Defending is simply awesome. All up 3 players can be involved in any tackle. During the 3 man tackle, forget about the offload hahah, it wont happen.

I had Bronson Harison break three tackles in one play, got to the fullback tried to fend him off again but he hit me with a low tackle around the legs. The fact that there are three tackle options allowed us to really take each set in a different approach. The diving animation is pretty cool, I did a few dive tackles and sent the other guy over the sideline. The animation is quite smooth with the tackling.

Another interesting thing was holding down in the tackle. I tried it a few times, when I had three guys over an attacking player. Held him down long enough to get the guys back on side. There is an orange light under the player that illuminates whenever a player is in an offside position, so unless you want to give away the penalty it is pretty clear.

I was playing the game like I'd expect to play in real life. Pass to the big blokes for the hitup for the first few tackles and the chance my arm. This tactic worked. You can make the metres in the gut and you can make a difference. I had a few sets where I just barged it over the advantage line, nothing special, before deciding to pass to Campo who ran at a few offside players and into open field. The big blokes usually crash forward after contact, depending on how many defenders are involved in the tackle.

There were some annoying bits, I saw a few shoddy video ref calls. Blatant double movement and another being held up as being awarded a try. The rep tried to say, "just like real life" but the video ref system was obviously not perfected.

Players catching kicks, looks weird. There is a circle which indicates where the ball will land, however, players seem to stand in front, to the side and generally away from the circle. This can put you off, as you try to regather a kick. Basically the ball can be caught from anywhere outside the circle.

Stamina in this game is simply perfect. The big blokes get tired quickly and since nobody made any subs, the halves could rip it up in the middle. Having said that, a few times I would get into open space and my player would barely have stamina to sprint. If you sprint non stop, you will be out of gas in no time. In my first game I won 12-0, but the last 20 or so, I was on the back foot as I had zero energy in my pack and everything in the middle fell apart.

Overall I will be buying this game. Apparently they have full online leaderboards which include wins/losses and total points and other statistics. Online should be fun as well as the single player game.

I'd say this is a 8.5 out of 10. Awesome game and I cannot wait.

I came home to play Madden 13, but found myself bored wanting RLL2.

Last edited:

MattYg1

Bench
I played approximately 5 games on Saturday,

After my 5th game, I still enjoyed the game. I wasnt able to play 2 games of RLL1 without returning that steaming pile of shit.

I was telling the rep how the first game probably put a lot of people off. In reply he stated that the first one was shocking and the dev team are trying hard to not speak of the past tittle.

From the conversation, I could see that they generally hated the first game..which is puzzling considering they bloody released the game lol.

Anyhow in regards to a review,

My first game I played as the Raiders, vs the Eels. Firstly, nearly all the teams have similar team statistics and they are generally evenly balanced. The difference is the superstar players really do stand out. Dugan sliced through often late in the games, especially around the big props, he would always get run down..bloody slow but decent acceleration.

Straight from the kickoff, you could see that the game has evolved leaps and bounds. Watching as players direct one another to get into formation and etc. The guys I played were pretty crap, they tried to play this like it was touch footy.

Passing out wide often will lead to intercepts, especially if your run at the line and throw a huge cut out pass. The defenders will make the play, the only thing is that I found myself pressing the tackle button, when the ball was near me trying to put the shot on the attacking side. But since the intercept happens so quick, I would press the tackle button at the time of the intercept and find myself kicking the ball away immediately after the intercept.

The massive cut passes are still in the game. Not as often, but they exist, especially from dummy half. The only positive is that when the long ball is thrown from dummy half, the defenders move up quick and the attackers dont have the momentum.

short passes/offloads/flick passes - all in the game, some crazy looking animation for these passes. I had a Shillington take a hit up close to the try line, his momentum carried him forward, although in the process he turned his body and gave an offload to Travis Waddel, who dived over for the try. Ive probably described it as shit as possible, but the way the play transitioned, it looked awesome.

In regards to offloads, players do not randomly get the ball away like they did in Rugby Challenge. The offload depends on the attacking player, the tacklers position and whether the upper body is free. As an example the dive tackle around the legs would leave the offload open.

General kicking is pretty good, the guys I played against waited until the last tackle to kick and always ran at the line before trying to boot it away. This is probably the hardest aspect of the game, as it does not slow down and players rush up, guess its a good thing as I did not see any 40/20s.

Defending is simply awesome. All up 3 players can be involved in any tackle. During the 3 man tackle, forget about the offload hahah, it wont happen.

I had Bronson Harison break three tackles in one play, got to the fullback tried to fend him off again but he hit me with a low tackle around the legs. The fact that there are three tackle options allowed us to really take each set in a different approach. The diving animation is pretty cool, I did a few dive tackles and sent the other guy over the sideline. The animation is quite smooth with the tackling.

Another interesting thing was holding down in the tackle. I tried it a few times, when I had three guys over an attacking player. Held him down long enough to get the guys back on side. There is an orange light under the player that illuminates whenever a player is in an offside position, so unless you want to give away the penalty it is pretty clear.

I was playing the game like I'd expect to play in real life. Pass to the big blokes for the hitup for the first few tackles and the chance my arm. This tactic worked. You can make the metres in the gut and you can make a difference. I had a few sets where I just barged it over the advantage line, nothing special, before deciding to pass to Campo who ran at a few offside players and into open field. The big blokes usually crash forward after contact, depending on how many defenders are involved in the tackle.

There were some annoying bits, I saw a few shoddy video ref calls. Blatant double movement and another being held up as being awarded a try. The rep tried to say, "just like real life" but the video ref system was obviously not perfected.

Players catching kicks, looks weird. There is a circle which indicates where the ball will land, however, players seem to stand in front, to the side and generally away from the circle. This can put you off, as you try to regather a kick. Basically the ball can be caught from anywhere outside the circle.

Stamina in this game is simply perfect. The big blokes get tired quickly and since nobody made any subs, the halves could rip it up in the middle. Having said that, a few times I would get into open space and my player would barely have stamina to sprint. If you sprint non stop, you will be out of gas in no time. In my first game I won 12-0, but the last 20 or so, I was on the back foot as I had zero energy in my pack and everything in the middle fell apart.

Overall I will be buying this game. Apparently they have full online leaderboards which include wins/losses and total points and other statistics. Online should be fun as well as the single player game.

I'd say this is a 8.5 out of 10. Awesome game and I cannot wait.

I came home to play Madden 13, but found myself bored wanting RLL2.

Been waiting for your review bud... awesome to hear...

I dont mind the video ref making messed up decisions... i think the rep for all his jest was right in saying that it feels like real life...

Most of all i was happy when you spoke about real rugby league tactics working... I cannot wait for 5 tackles and a kick to the corner...

I am currently playing though Metal Gear Solid 4 because i havent had a PS3 long and after watching and playing RLL2 I just dont give a toss about it or any other game in my collection at the moment...

And we still dont have a release date... :(

Walt Flanigan

Referee

Thanks for the review.

This is the biggest thing for me. I want to play these games like you would in real life and make good metres through the forwards before throwing it out to the backs. In the other games you'd spend most of your time flicking it between the centre and the winger, trying to get a break down the side line. So that's all good to hear!

Jono078

Referee
Awesome reviews. Cannot wait for it.

The controls seem weird, especially for defense holding in a shoulder button and pressing R3 seems stupid when they clearly could have just done a Madden hit stick sort of thing where you flick the right stick...