What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumor Mill

At this stage I'd take Nick Brown, Jeremy Latimore & Jeremy Hawkins and call it a fantastic salvage.

What a terrible situation to be in...

And to be honest - I straight up don't believe that significant amounts of reserve graders won't consider Warriors opportunities. Sounds more like 'we tried a guy and he didn't want to come so they must all not want to come'.

Offer $100k and a shot at first grade, a guy who doesn't have an NRL contract will come most of the time. Even guys who do have NRL contracts but are very far down the pecking order at their current clubs (Hawkins). Hawkins, Brown, Drew... these are not guys who refuse to leave their home. They've already moved (some of them more than once) large distances for previous opportunities.

I think it more likely there's a complete failure in identifying talent (we've recruited plenty from reserve grade before...) - and for that matter, identifying problem areas in the current squad. Kata is still playing first grade FFS. Have lost all faith in this organisation.

Dunno if 'brains' and Kahu go together tbh...
Jeremy Hawkins is a bloody good player.

Certainly not saying we won't sign anyone, but the quality of said signings might not be what we hoped in some areas.

There's certainly a kiwi international in the mix but I doubt he'll be hailed as a coup in here. Whether he fills a gap we actually need filled would probably also be debatable.

Anyway, wait and see what happens late August / early September.

Thats becos the majority of fans think every signing will be RTS or Luke like

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Not to mention Jahrome Hughes. Surely those two will get offers before too long? A lot of competition for spots in that Storm backline.

Hughes just re-signed along with Croft and Jacks.

Hawkins will get squeezed out imo. If Hughes doesn't get a spine spot they'll probably make him a centre.

JJ

Immortal
I guess because if you want to be the best you hire the best. Hire plodders........
Too many plodders in the set-up already.From the top down.
Yep, although to be honest we probably got the poorest option amongst the three ex-Souths hookers - the Dragons and Manly would have paid less and gotten more tbh

Cold Roses

Juniors

Hawkins will get squeezed out imo. If Hughes doesn't get a spine spot they'll probably make him a centre.

Hawkins would be a great pick up. If Hughes keeps developing at the Storm it's just good news for the Kiwis. Another Maori boy at the Storm funnily enough. Unless he decides that he's a Qld'er...

jaseg

Juniors

The long term contract confirms for me what I already suspected - Hughes is a serious part of the Storm's succession plan for the spine (now THAT's a good organisation - identify what they need and what they will need in a year or two, and go get it). The only question is if they see him as the 1 and Munster the 6 in the long term, or the other way around (Croft and B.Smith being the 7 and 9 respectively).

Agree on Hawkins - he's currently 5th in line at centre there (Chambers, Blair, Scott & Tonumaipea have all played NRL while he was available, he did make the 21 when they had 2 unavailables so I'm guessing nobody else is above him at the moment), and of the guys in front of him only Chambers is over 25. Then you've got Justin Olam developing at centre in their system also (I think he's more a winger/potential fullback, but still a very promising centre) - he's currently behind Hawkins but has only been in the Storm system less than a year and has ridiculous upside. Hawkins needs to leave for an opportunity - why not with us? We've got a great big gaping hole at the position.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Hughes has always been a fullback but this year he's been playing 6 for the Sunshine Coast Falcons.

They also have Billy Walters playing for the East Coast Tigers and a more accomplished football player but Hughes has more x-factor/athletic ability.

Storm definitely have options.

BLN2

Juniors
Certainly not saying we won't sign anyone, but the quality of said signings might not be what we hoped in some areas.

There's certainly a kiwi international in the mix but I doubt he'll be hailed as a coup in here. Whether he fills a gap we actually need filled would probably also be debatable.

Anyway, wait and see what happens late August / early September.

Kiwi to fill a gap in a debatable position - My guess, Gerard Beale. SK has always played him in the Kiwis despite never really shining at NRL level. SK loves his pets.

If we do get him, better be on fringe NRL cash.. I'm guess he could be a cheap Vatuvei replacement.

Scott

Bench
Kiwi to fill a gap in a debatable position - My guess, Gerard Beale. SK has always played him in the Kiwis despite never really shining at NRL level. SK loves his pets.

If we do get him, better be on fringe NRL cash.. I'm guess he could be a cheap Vatuvei replacement.

I would assume Santo & CNK would be in the top 25 next season. No need for Beale as a replacement for Vatuvei.

BLN2

Juniors
Hence being a debatable signing.

Santo is signed on 2nd tier, I doubt Allwood will get a contract for next season unless he signs a 2nd tier. He snagged a decent 3 year deal to come here, a Cappy flop (he's OK, just not a player to throw a big contract at). There's space..

Look, not everything that I post always comes to fruition - nothing is ever cut and dried - but I can say with some certainty that Beale won't be at the Warriors next year and most certainly wasn't the player I was referring to.

Cold Roses

Juniors
Sandercock, a Kiwi and another Aussie who approached us all vying for one role.

This is still bugging me. I know you can't or won't confirm anything, but i'm trying to think of who's out there that might be rising up through the ranks.

And apart from Blackmore, only Nathan Cayless springs to mind.