What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumor Mill

Mix mentioned an Aussie and a Kiwi being interviewed for coaching role.

The Mole ( for what its worth, usual disclaimer, etc.) is mentioning Craig Sandercock. Assistant at the Tigers? (Presuming Wests Tigers?) Has coached in England and also been at the Knights.

Never heard of him myself.

Assistant to Tigers and Knights
Look how busted they are

Rich102

Staff member
Yeah, never had a head coach gig.
Next time I think we need someone with proven NRL coaching experience.
No more wild cards.

Yes sandercock.

Sandercock, a Kiwi and another Aussie who approached us all vying for one role.

One of those 3 may also land up being an assistant for the Kiwis WC campaign.

Regarding on field signings....... not looking great guys.

jaseg

Juniors
Yeah, never had a head coach gig.
Next time I think we need someone with proven NRL coaching experience.
No more wild cards.

Stephen Kearney, Matt Elliott & John Monie all had first grade coaching experience. One of them had even won a comp.

Daniel Anderson & Ivan Cleary didn't.

Beyond just our club though - in the entire NRL era there have only been 3 years where the grand final winning coach was at a club other than the one where he made his first grade coaching debut - 2003 (Lang/Panthers), 2005 (Sheens/Tigers) & 2010 (Bennett/Dragons).

That's 3 out of 19.

Proven NRL experience is not required in a successful coach - just quality.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Regarding on field signings....... not looking great guys.

This have any relation to the re-signing of Vete?

My first thought was that our younger prop recruiting targets had fallen through when I heard he was re-signed.

Do you know if we spend much time scouting the qld/nsw cup? I spend a bit of time watching qld cup and the main obstacle for a lot of these guys is the full time training they don't get while working jobs between footy.

Our list of successful recruits that came from the bargain bin is a lot more impressive than the list we paid a high price for.

As for Sandercock, I'm not sure he's the one we need to polish our Johnson.

Coat grabbed, door.....thataway.

This have any relation to the re-signing of Vete?

Bingo.

2 have fallen through.

Now watch what happens with Lillyman. It's going to say a lot.

Regarding NSW/QLD Cup - yip they do. You'd be surprised how many we don't even get past first base with. But we need scouts in those competitions who have some mana.

You'd also be surprised how few clubs have interest in our under contract forwards.

Bingo.

2 have fallen through.

Regarding NSW/QLD Cup - yip they do. You'd be surprised how many we don't even get past first base with. But we need scouts in those competitions who have some mana.

You'd also be surprised how few clubs have interest in our under contract forwards.

I wouldnt be
Cos we get smashed in the ruck every week

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Considering most of our pack were re-signed or off contract this year it doesn't leave many under contract guys we would be trying to offload.

So it doesn't really surprise me at all, especially when Lisone would be numero uno on my list if I was looking to offload an under contract forward.

Good to know we target qld/nsw cup, but pretty lol that nobody is interested. What's Luck/Campion up to? There's two guys who have some QLD mana.

Rich102

Staff member
Bingo.

2 have fallen through.

Not surprised but really disappointed.
Have the club any ideas how they are going to get out of this downhill slide?

Scott

Bench
Not surprised but really disappointed.
Have the club any ideas how they are going to get out of this downhill slide?

That is the concerning thing... We are going downhill so fast. Rock bottom could still be 12 months away. We are showing no signs anywhere in the entire organisation that we are heading in the right direction.

If you actually look closely at the likes of the Tigers & Newcastle, they are showing positive signs on & off the field. We are not.

I think things are going to get alot worse before they get better. Scary!

Certainly not saying we won't sign anyone, but the quality of said signings might not be what we hoped in some areas.

There's certainly a kiwi international in the mix but I doubt he'll be hailed as a coup in here. Whether he fills a gap we actually need filled would probably also be debatable.

Anyway, wait and see what happens late August / early September.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
TBH I don't expect much. I'm not at all fussed on a quick fix superstar signing.

2-3 guys who will roll their sleeves up, actually play with brains/consistency will do me just fine.

Cold Roses

Juniors
There's certainly a kiwi international in the mix but I doubt he'll be hailed as a coup in here. Whether he fills a gap we actually need filled would probably also be debatable.

Anyway, wait and see what happens late August / early September.

If it's Kahu then I'll actually welcome it. The guy might not be a superstar, but he knows how to deliver week in week out consistently in first grade.

If it's Eastwood, we're stuffed.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I would argue Eastwood is the one who is stuffed, but yes, I wouldn't be too happy with that one.

Blair would be a neither here nor there signing.

Kahu I would be fine with.

lasir

Juniors
TBH I don't expect much. I'm not at all fussed on a quick fix superstar signing.

2-3 guys who will roll their sleeves up, actually play with brains/consistency will do me just fine.
That is the exact recipe for a supporting cast and depth we need, look at all the top 8 teams ala Broncos, Storm, Sharks etc
So bring in Kahu..

Last edited:

jaseg

Juniors
At this stage I'd take Nick Brown, Jeremy Latimore & Jeremy Hawkins and call it a fantastic salvage.

What a terrible situation to be in...

And to be honest - I straight up don't believe that significant amounts of reserve graders won't consider Warriors opportunities. Sounds more like 'we tried a guy and he didn't want to come so they must all not want to come'.

Offer $100k and a shot at first grade, a guy who doesn't have an NRL contract will come most of the time. Even guys who do have NRL contracts but are very far down the pecking order at their current clubs (Hawkins). Hawkins, Brown, Drew... these are not guys who refuse to leave their home. They've already moved (some of them more than once) large distances for previous opportunities.

I think it more likely there's a complete failure in identifying talent (we've recruited plenty from reserve grade before...) - and for that matter, identifying problem areas in the current squad. Kata is still playing first grade FFS. Have lost all faith in this organisation.

Dunno if 'brains' and Kahu go together tbh...

jaseg

Juniors
Don't know what makes you think that, I believe the opposite to be true but know he's a lot smarter than Kata and Ayshford put together..

Kata of course. Ayshford? You're having a laugh...

I've seen Kahu have multiple brain explosions over the past year. He's a fine enough player... but not anything that we need - looks like a below average centre (that's being kind... his defence in that position is baaaad), decent enough defensive fullback cover and a solid enough winger.

Latest posts