What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumour

Fathead

Bench
well I hope its Cronk cause we damn well need a halfback a lot more than a centre, hooker or fullback....

natheel

Coach
9yeh i hope we get cronk he and mortz could form a good partnership thats for sure.

now all we have to do is wait and see what happens

natheel

Coach
9yeh i hope we get cronk he and mortz could form a good partnership thats for sure.

now all we have to do is wait and see what happens

Avenger

Immortal
Last year I had a feeling about Poore. I have that same feeling about Cronk. If he decides to leave Melbourne he will join us because no team will outbid us or be more needy for a halfback in the NRL.

The issue will be if he wants to break his combination and mateship with Slater whom he has played with since his teens. Slater will stay at the Storn imho. Money will not be the issue re: Cronk.

Fathead

Bench
I reckon a cronk / Humble halves combo would be fantastic.
We have organisational ability and a little speed with Cronk and tons of speed with Humble.
I would be very very happy.

ROGUE

Juniors
Last year I had a feeling about Poore. I have that same feeling about Cronk. If he decides to leave Melbourne he will join us because no team will outbid us or be more needy for a halfback in the NRL.

The issue will be if he wants to break his combination and mateship with Slater whom he has played with since his teens. Slater will stay at the Storn imho. Money will not be the issue re: Cronk.

Mate with the "no team will outbid us" line i tend to think manly will chase also

Stagger eel

Staff member
Mate we had the same arguments with players like Horo, Hayne, Smith and Mateo. These guys arnt going to be lining up off the kick off and they arnt going to be playing big minutes, they might come on for 20-30min periods just like Horo was doing at the beginning of the year.

Around good quality players they will also improve and adapt their own game. would you consider the following pack a bad pack?

8 Poore
10 Fui
11 Hindmarsh
12 Horo
13 Smith

15 TeMaari or OHanlan
16 Shakelton
17 Mannah
(other option is start shak in backrow and have Allgood or Pele off the bench)

lol...how the hell do you throw the highighted players into the arguement? I don't understand what you're talking about??

the pack you've listed is this years pack + and inured player + Wenty player + NYC player...to answer your question, they would get dominated 2 out of 3 times..they aren't the pack to win you a comp but some of those players are a good start!! add a decent prop and wide running backrower and we may get somewhere.

you know what the disturbing thing is? Andy Raymond said last night that we've only used 22 players this year, less than any other team in the comp, given that our reserve grade side hasn't been as disrupted with personel changes as other teams, we're still coming 8th which is a poor effort for a reserve grade side at this club.

Pele, Allgood, Te Maari, Robinson and Lassalo have played most of the season and have not exactly dominated other sides and you're suggesting that we should elevate these guys up the pecking order of the squad to replace Caylo and Feleti instead of looking outside??????...

that attitude is the reason why all our grades are either out of the 8 or on the verge dropping of the 8!

I'm not saying that we don't keep those guys but we should keep them on the same pay packet in the 2nd tier squad part time squad while we rebuild the top 25 with players that are actually first graders and on the verge breaking through and the only player likely to do that in the forwards at NYC is O'Hanlon but he still needs to develop physically..

caylo

Bench
lol...how the hell do you throw the highighted players into the arguement? I don't understand what you're talking about??
Those players are guys that have been considered to soft or two young or to inconsistant to make the NRL and yet they have performed well. Every jnr player has faults before they come up and its how they are able to handle the step up that determines if they are any good. I remember you telling me that Gardner would never make the transition because of his size and he has been very good for cronulla.
Mannah was inconsistant last year, player 20-25min every week and didnt set the world on fire but look at him this year. You cant expect a player to be instant success but they learn and evolve and that is the point. I have more confidence in parramatta bring up a jnr in the forward pack and backline because of the quality around them that allows them to grow at their own rate.

the pack you've listed is this years pack + and inured player + Wenty player + NYC player...to answer your question, they would get dominated 2 out of 3 times..they aren't the pack to win you a comp but some of those players are a good start!! add a decent prop and wide running backrower and we may get somewhere.

you know what the disturbing thing is? Andy Raymond said last night that we've only used 22 players this year, less than any other team in the comp, given that our reserve grade side hasn't been as disrupted with personel changes as other teams, we're still coming 8th which is a poor effort for a reserve grade side at this club.

Pele, Allgood, Te Maari, Robinson and Lassalo have played most of the season and have not exactly dominated other sides and you're suggesting that we should elevate these guys up the pecking order of the squad to replace Caylo and Feleti instead of looking outside??????...

that attitude is the reason why all our grades are either out of the 8 or on the verge dropping of the 8!

I'm not saying that we don't keep those guys but we should keep them on the same pay packet in the 2nd tier squad part time squad while we rebuild the top 25 with players that are actually first graders and on the verge breaking through and the only player likely to do that in the forwards at NYC is O'Hanlon but he still needs to develop physically..

Shak is a proven quality player so essentially we replace a incosistant backrower with a NYC or Wenty player and we will get dominated 2 out of 3 times. I think that pack is better then the pack that got to the GF last year. Realistically Horo has been just as good as Mateo (your wide running backrower) and you can bring up TeMaari (a proven NRL player with the Dogs) and OHanlan (one of the best NYC players) who can play a 30min stint just as Horo did early this year.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Those players are guys that have been considered to soft or two young or to inconsistant to make the NRL and yet they have performed well. Every jnr player has faults before they come up and its how they are able to handle the step up that determines if they are any good. I remember you telling me that Gardner would never make the transition because of his size and he has been very good for cronulla.
Mannah was inconsistant last year, player 20-25min every week and didnt set the world on fire but look at him this year. You cant expect a player to be instant success but they learn and evolve and that is the point. I have more confidence in parramatta bring up a jnr in the forward pack and backline because of the quality around them that allows them to grow at their own rate.

what????????...FMD mate comparing those blokes to the current crop is hideious..

just incase you missed it..

Hayne made his debut at 17 in 2006,

Smith made his debut in 2004 then played most of 2005 just out of NYC

Horo, always had potential and when he was on was a better player than the current crop, he also had a few long injury stints on the sideline.

Mateo made his debut in 2004 had a fallen out with coach Smith, spent a year in London before sterring his team to gf win in reserve grade and then nabbing a regular sot in 07..

please don't compare those guys to Allgood, Lassalo, Robo and the like...

Tim Mannah is a guy that was ALWAYS going to make he came straight out of NYC to fg, he basicaly fits into the Hayne catogory..

Snoochies

First Grade
Cronk use to be our shortstop when I played Baseball with him up here in Brissy, even at that age he was a natural leader. My Grandad played Baseball with Coopers Grandad and my old man and Coopers old man were friends for awhile there.

Little useless fact that I didn't need to share but hey, hopefully I can say I knew the future Parramatta halfback. ;-)