What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and Crap IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

EelDredd

Juniors
Missed out on Scott...

The Cowboys sent Parramatta and South Sydney packing last night when in-demand Queensland and Australian prop Matt Scott re-signed with the club.
Ending months of speculation, Scott turned his back on lucrative offers to remain with North Queensland until at least the end of 2016.
While it's a major victory, it will nonetheless make Sydney rivals wonder how much room would be left in their 2014 salary cap for Thurston.
An official announcement on Scott's retention is expected to be made this morning

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ase-for-thurston/story-e6frexnr-1226578301438

natheel

Coach
Sandow was disgraceful last year. Not first grade standard.

He was a long long way behind Pearce.

The year before he was very good in patches, but erratic.He has a lot of improving to do before he gets near Pearce's standard - and ithink pearce has some limitations to his game.

The fact that he is in fact shit? That's a limitation

We are a basket case. It just gets worse and worse.

Only way we have a hope in hell in attracting players is by going after other clubs best juniors and offering them overs and an opportunity to play first grade. Players such Klemmer from the dogs are the typle pf ones we should target. We don't have a hope in hell in buying an established 1st grader atm.

Avenger

Immortal
We are a basket case. It just gets worse and worse.

Only way we have a hope in hell in attracting players is by going after other clubs best juniors and offering them overs and an opportunity to play first grade. Players such Klemmer from the dogs are the typle pf ones we should target. We don't have a hope in hell in buying an established 1st grader atm.

I actually admire the loyalty displayed by Scott. Thurston will also stay as will Robbie Farah. I would now focus on Frank Pritchard, Matt Gillett and Feleti Mateo for 2014.

There are always players out there and we have plenty of money for 2014. Make or break for players like Allgood, Mannah and Ben Smith. Plenty will get the tap on the shoulder as a generational change is happening with Pauli Pauli, Frazier, Ken Edwards and Peni Terepo coming through. No need for the elite type of player. Just a few experienced ones.

Last edited:

The Colonel

Immortal
LOL. Experienced players didn't help us last time either. Honestly, the build up thorough the juniors is the way to go but signing the likes of Pritchard and Mateo who will looking for their last contracts is a waste along the same lines as Webb and Tonga.

New coach, new recruitment. Same result.

Avenger

Immortal
LOL. Experienced players didn't help us last time either. Honestly, the build up thorough the juniors is the way to go but signing the likes of Pritchard and Mateo who will looking for their last contracts is a waste along the same lines as Webb and Tonga.

New coach, new recruitment. Same result.

You can't compare Carl Webb and the other nobodies that Kearney/Anderson signed with Pritchard and Mateo.

The jury is still out on Tonga. Give him another year before we crucify him.

Last edited:

The Colonel

Immortal
Why not?? Webb was at the end of his career. Pritchard turns 30 this year. If the Dogs want to keep him they will keep him. If they don't we will probably just end up paying overs. Mateo is still the erratic player he has always been but with the interest from other clubs more expensive.

It isn't really an upgrade on anything we have at the club. Just more of the same. We aren't an attractive option. Ricky was going to bring everyone, we have more money than any other club to spend. They can't match the money we have thrown about for Bird, Tamou, Taumololo, Williams, Scott and probably Farah. But we have not signed a single player other than two fringe players from Manly and a handful of Qld Cup players.

Jason70

Juniors
The fact is that we won't start attracting elite players until we start winning games and if we finish with the spoon again, the same conversation will he happenning this time next year.

If it's true that we offerred Matt Scott $650k and he knocked it back for less that's a good indicator that our club is on the nose at present.

Front row looks ok to me, i would be looking to a 5/8 and hooker to strengthen our key areas. A young aggressive backrower wouldn't go astray either. Why we wouldnt have even chased Brad Takarangi, who would have come cheap, is beyond me.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
We should be chasing:

Aiden tolman - he can play big mins, not a flashy player but tackles and runs hard all day, he is also quite mobile - i reckon you could use as a lock for 80 mins, props play in the middle just like most locks do so his role wouldn't be much different.

Jason Bukuya - he is a player on the up and might have trouble getting a staring spot with the sharks so might want to change clubs . Wouldn't cost the world.

Josh Reynolds/robbie farrah - I know most have suggested farrah but he would be thirty next year and could be close to passing his peak but would be happy to have him. I believe Reynolds best spot is hooker and is still young enough to be improving. He is real competitor and very tough just what we need. And with dogs chasing thurston we could get under there guard.

Add those three to our pack and we have a very strong side. Also with our under 20 forwards we should unearth wide running forward in the next year or so up to nrl standard. With hopoate coming next year and if Kelly Iives up to expectations the backs should be fine.

Avenger

Immortal
Why not?? Webb was at the end of his career. Pritchard turns 30 this year. If the Dogs want to keep him they will keep him. If they don't we will probably just end up paying overs. Mateo is still the erratic player he has always been but with the interest from other clubs more expensive.

It isn't really an upgrade on anything we have at the club. Just more of the same. We aren't an attractive option. Ricky was going to bring everyone, we have more money than any other club to spend. They can't match the money we have thrown about for Bird, Tamou, Taumololo, Williams, Scott and probably Farah. But we have not signed a single player other than two fringe players from Manly and a handful of Qld Cup players.

Webb was on the scrapheap and had his last good season in 2002 when we acquired him. Age is irrelevant when comparing him to Mateo and Pritchard. Both these players are still playing at a high level and have recently played in grand finals. I will concede however that they both are a little inconsistent. That is the only reason why I would possibly think twice.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
We aren't an attractive option. Ricky was going to bring everyone, we have more money than any other club to spend. They can't match the money we have thrown about for Bird, Tamou, Taumololo, Williams, Scott and probably Farah. But we have not signed a single player other than two fringe players from Manly and a handful of Qld Cup players.

We aren't the only club chasing the big names for 2014 and not one big name has signed for another club for 2014, they have all resigned with their current club for 2014. Still plenty of time to get some quality signings for 2014.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
I wouldn't go to a club like Parra. We have to show this season that we have moved forward and improved under new staff etc. The majority of the players we have missed out in have stayed with their current club, its not like Scott knocked us back to go to Penrith.

Status
Not open for further replies.