What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and Crap IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Colonel

Immortal
Webb was on the scrapheap and had his last good season in 2002 when we acquired him. Age is irrelevant when comparing him to Mateo and Pritchard. Both these players are still playing at a high level and have recently played in grand finals. I will concede however that they both are a little inconsistent. That is the only reason why I would possibly think twice.
And the inconsistency is exactly why I compare them to the Webb signing. We aren't adding anything different to the club. We have plenty of inconsistency available at the moment.

A Bird or a Scott would have been an upgrade and worth a decent long term deal. Mateo and Pritchard will want long term deals and hamper our long term recruitment if they don't find consistency.

And while I am aware that all clubs are chasing big names and not enticing anyone to change clubs there are mid level signings like Teo and Nielsen for example that did. We are aiming high and missing out.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I love how merkins like Pou keep lauding SK's work and then you look at the roster for this year and can't understand how the NRL even registers the Eels as a first grade team.

I reckon this year's roster is a definite improvement on last year's.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
And the inconsistency is exactly why I compare them to the Webb signing. We aren't adding anything different to the club. We have plenty of inconsistency available at the moment.

A Bird or a Scott would have been an upgrade and worth a decent long term deal. Mateo and Pritchard will want long term deals and hamper our long term recruitment if they don't find consistency.

And while I am aware that all clubs are chasing big names and not enticing anyone to change clubs there are mid level signings like Teo and Nielsen for example that did. We are aiming high and missing out.

If we're missing out it means we're not offering too much. That's a good thing.

Avenger

Immortal

I agree with that re chasing big names. . What about Dallas Johnson?

The Colonel

Immortal
I agree with that re chasing big names. . What about Dallas Johnson?

yes and no. Another 30+ player that will be chasing a decent amount that limits us keeping our juniors in Tanginoa, Masinamua and Pauli.

Good experience but last year wasn't great. He comes from Nth Qld so would be unlikely to leave.

Poo said:
If we're missing out it means we're not offering too much. That's a good thing.

Not necessarily. It could mean we are looking too desperate to sign anyone. Which IMO is where we are at the moment. Reportedly, and I know you can't believe everything we read, we are offering more than other clubs. We have the money but nothing to show for it. I don't see any respite unless we start winning games with what we have.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
yes and no. Another 30+ player that will be chasing a decent amount that limits us keeping our juniors in Tanginoa, Masinamua and Pauli.

Good experience but last year wasn't great. He comes from Nth Qld so would be unlikely to leave.

Not necessarily. It could mean we are looking too desperate to sign anyone. Which IMO is where we are at the moment. Reportedly, and I know you can't believe everything we read, we are offering more than other clubs. We have the money but nothing to show for it. I don't see any respite unless we start winning games with what we have.

"Looking too desperate" never stopped clubs signing players before.

The fact is we have enough marquee players, with Hayne, Sandow and Hopoate on his way. We should be looking for future stars, not current ones. Taumalolo would have been a great signing, as would Dave Klemmer. The fact we only have 33 players in the full time squad means Ricky expects a couple of Tanginoa, Pauli, Masinamua to play some NRL this year. By 2014 any of them could be pushing for Origin. It can happen that quickly.

IFR33K

Coach
"Looking too desperate" never stopped clubs signing players before.

The fact is we have enough marquee players, with Hayne, Sandow and Hopoate on his way. We should be looking for future stars, not current ones..

Sandow is not a marquee players asshole and hoppa was well on the way, but his two year absence sets him back a little. I would say he is a future star, except we played top dollar and some.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
If I was a top line player (which I was before a knee injury robbed me of future immortal status) I wouldn't come to Parra either. The reason - I don't see as strong a club and as bright a future as I do at other clubs.

Some people like Folau are just money chasers. However, I think for a lot of players it is not the sole driver. Good players want to play in successful clubs and win. As it stands right now our club has some work to do before we can compete with what other clubs can provide in that department.

It's disappointing, but hardly surprising that our club would struggle to score a root in a brothel at the moment. Hopefully some youngsters will step up and take a chance that they might not have had were they playing elsewhere.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
there's plenty of good forwards at the raiders to target. they are overstacked. fensom would be a handy hindy replacement. sam williams will also be sought after by many.

corey norman has done the rounds lately, would be suprised to see him make a decision before the season started, i reckon they'll accomodate him at fullback shunting hoffman to wing, meaning he'll stay there.

Ratchy

Juniors
Sandow is not a marquee players asshole and hoppa was well on the way, but his two year absence sets him back a little. I would say he is a future star, except we played top dollar and some.

You might think Sandow isn't but he sure is being paid like one.....

Status
Not open for further replies.