What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and even More Crap VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The floodgates have opened. LOL

He's got potential and a good signing IMHO, but @ 19 FG games he won't fill the experience void. Hope there's some 100FG+ lads coming too.

What do we need more experience for? We've already got more than enough.

We need more size, speed and aggression.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You could hardly call Brod Wright a signing. Does anyone seriously think that he'll be a key part of our 2013 premiership campaign ?

Not a key signing, but it's not easy to find front-rowers that are both useful enough to play first grade when needed but shit enough that they're happy to play NSW Cup the rest of the time.

Signing backups over the age of 21 is a proper balancing act.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I bet we paid more than what Manly and other teams offered.

How many players ever left their club for less money? Daniel Mortimer might be the first one this decade.

And if we offered more money it's right that we got him. That's the whole idea behind the market.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think you're entitled to use that type of sarcasm after we sign a marquee player for 2013.

How many marquee signings do you think we're entitled to?

There's only so many to go around and we've already got a couple of freaks in Hayne and Sandow. Plus we have Hopoate impacting our cap in 18 months time. How many more do we need? And more to the point, wouldn't we be better off using the money for one marquee player on several players of Darcy Lussick's standing?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Fair enough. I'd expect the same.
I just don't think there is anything marquee out there now(maybe SBW). In the case we don't, I'd be happy that we just bolster our weaknesses with solid first graders, of which there seems to be enough available to fill our stocks..

f**king spot on.

The fact I agree with you means you must be very, very smart.

Tony Bongo

Bench
How many marquee signings do you think we're entitled to?

There's only so many to go around and we've already got a couple of freaks in Hayne and Sandow. Plus we have Hopoate impacting our cap in 18 months time. How many more do we need? And more to the point, wouldn't we be better off using the money for one marquee player on several players of Darcy Lussick's standing?

We should be entitled to just as many as the Storm, Souths, Bulldogs or Titans.

Wasn't there something about Hopoate using up cap space next year?

I think we can fit in one more marquee signing and us chasing T Rex is evidence of that. I won't be complaining if we do sign another one for next year but other than SBW the only chance I can see of it happening is someone else from Union or Hopoate cutting a year off his mission.

Parra Pride

Referee
I hope we don't get any marquee signings to be honest, the more marquee signings we make the less chance we have of keeping Hayne.

#Hayne>AnyMarqueeSignings

Can someone remind me exactly what constitutes a 'marquee signing'. I had some vague memory that there was a certain amount above the normal salary cap that could be paid via 3rd parties (conditional on some sort of independence from the club contract) that a club could pay to players. Is there a limit to the number of players that this can apply to (or is the limit in terms of $$$), or is the marquee signing just some seppo bullshit that the windies introduced a few years ago?

Going to Club X to buy a more stylish merkin...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Can someone remind me exactly what constitutes a 'marquee signing'. I had some vague memory that there was a certain amount above the normal salary cap that could be paid via 3rd parties (conditional on some sort of independence from the club contract) that a club could pay to players. Is there a limit to the number of players that this can apply to (or is the limit in terms of $$$), or is the marquee signing just some seppo bullshit that the windies introduced a few years ago?

Going to Club X to buy a more stylish merkin...

The A-League has 'marquee player' as a specific category of player, exempt from the salary cap.

In the NRL I think it's just a bullshit seppo term the fans have latched onto to describe any highly priced (and ideally highly valuable) player.

natheel

Coach
one thing thats good about these signings is theyre young and coming from clubs with winning culture (manly)

plus both hoppa and lussick were impressed with SK's plan, so there must be something that they're seeing that the fans are yet to see

Status
Not open for further replies.