What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and even More Crap VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eels Dude

Coach
Can someone remind me exactly what constitutes a 'marquee signing'. I had some vague memory that there was a certain amount above the normal salary cap that could be paid via 3rd parties (conditional on some sort of independence from the club contract) that a club could pay to players. Is there a limit to the number of players that this can apply to (or is the limit in terms of $$$), or is the marquee signing just some seppo bullshit that the windies introduced a few years ago?

Going to Club X to buy a more stylish merkin...

I don't think anyone expects 'marquee signings' in the way that term in being bandied about. Just expecting players of a level that will replace the ones we are losing such as Hindy, and potentially Fui and Poore. These guys are players with a lot of first grade experience who've played rep footy (and would be paid accordingly) so I'd expect the club replace them players of a similar calibre.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't think anyone expects 'marquee signings' in the way that term in being bandied about. Just expecting players of a level that will replace the ones we are losing such as Hindy, and potentially Fui and Poore. These guys are players with a lot of first grade experience who've played rep footy (and would be paid accordingly) so I'd expect the club replace them players of a similar calibre.

Mate, Danny Buderus and Matt King have plenty of experience. Petero Civoniceva has more experience than ever but he's a shadow of the player he was.

Experience by itself is nearly useless if it's not acompanied by the physical qualities required to compete.

Jarryd Hayne has been close to our best player since his second year in first grade. He has been undeniably our best since mid-2009; when he hd only played three full seasons.

You keep banging on about experience but you forget this is a physical game - we had plenty of experience last year and it didn't much help our lack of speed and strength on the edges. This year we have plenty of players over 30 and it's not doing much for us.

The Titans picked up the wooden spoon and had to completely rebuild after their squad became a little bit too 'experienced'.

Experience is overrated. At least by you.

Fair enough. I'd be pretty cautious about the type of rep players I'd go for though. A player like Luke Lewis (not suggesting him specifically) I think we'd get value from given the set of players who are leaving. Glad we didn't spend a huge amount on T-Rex. 3 or 4 players with some evidence of NRL ability and upside might be a better bet (hope to get 1 or 2 eventual stars). Try to re-sign (extend) Blair, Terepo, Fraser whateverhisnameiswhoplayspropu20s.

Eels Dude

Coach
Fair enough. I'd be pretty cautious about the type of rep players I'd go for though. A player like Luke Lewis (not suggesting him specifically) I think we'd get value from given the set of players who are leaving. Glad we didn't spend a huge amount on T-Rex. 3 or 4 players with some evidence of NRL ability and upside might be a better bet (hope to get 1 or 2 eventual stars). Try to re-sign (extend) Blair, Terepo, Fraser whateverhisnameiswhoplayspropu20s.

Honestly mate, I don't even expect rep player signings like a Luke Lewis or even T-Rex. Just players who are proven first graders and have enough experience in first grade that they will immediately be able to fill the hole vacated when someone like a Hindy, Fui, or Poore leave. So in essence I just expect the same as what you just described.

Eels Dude

Coach
Mate, Danny Buderus and Matt King have plenty of experience. Petero Civoniceva has more experience than ever but he's a shadow of the player he was.

Experience by itself is nearly useless if it's not acompanied by the physical qualities required to compete.

Jarryd Hayne has been close to our best player since his second year in first grade. He has been undeniably our best since mid-2009; when he hd only played three full seasons.

You keep banging on about experience but you forget this is a physical game - we had plenty of experience last year and it didn't much help our lack of speed and strength on the edges. This year we have plenty of players over 30 and it's not doing much for us.

The Titans picked up the wooden spoon and had to completely rebuild after their squad became a little bit too 'experienced'.

Experience is overrated. At least by you.

Perhaps Poupou, maybe time will tell. I don't think we should have a bunch of old heads like the Titans have but at the same time relying simply on youth, and unproven youth, is an equally risky situation.

People talking about how well the baby Broncos are going and what a young side they have. They're going bloody well, but they are complemented with players like Petero, Corey Parker, Ben Hannant, Justin Hodges, Peter Wallace, Sam Thaiday who no doubt would help the younger baby Broncos make that transition somewhat easier for them.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Honestly mate, I don't even expect rep player signings like a Luke Lewis or even T-Rex. Just players who are proven first graders and have enough experience in first grade that they will immediately be able to fill the hole vacated when someone like a Hindy, Fui, or Poore leave. So in essence I just expect the same as what you just described.

Why do they need to be 'proven first graders'? Who do they need to prove their ability to? Some fan whose only gauge is what he sees on tv?

This time last year Will Hopoate had only played a dozen first grade games, and nobody had heard of Darcy Lussick. Cheyse Blair and Ken Sio were both 'unproven' too.

There's plenty of talent in the lower grades. Just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they're no good. If you give a chance to a bloke with enough ability he can go from nuffy to solid first grader in half a season.

Why don't you just sit back and leave the recruiting to the professionals.

Why do they need to be 'proven first graders'? Who do they need to prove their ability to? Some fan whose only gauge is what he sees on tv?

This time last year Will Hopoate had only played a dozen first grade games, and nobody had heard of Darcy Lussick. Cheyse Blair and Ken Sio were both 'unproven' too.

There's plenty of talent in the lower grades. Just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they're no good. If you give a chance to a bloke with enough ability he can go from nuffy to solid first grader in half a season.

Why don't you just sit back and leave the recruiting to the professionals.

I think this thread would be fairly sparse if we left it to the pros (that Boxhead chap seems to have taken a job with another club).

I'd hope most of our signings would have 1st grade experience (not necessarily 10 years of it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts