What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and More Crap V

Status
Not open for further replies.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
If we are following Nolan's Broncos model, then no.

Keep the older, experienced players for key positions. Have a number of young, strong, fast and cheap outside backs sitting in the wings, ready to promote.

Although he offers good depth, it isn't anything that couldn't really be covered by someone younger who would have a better future given the chance.
I agree. There's another to add to the list.

natheel

Coach
anyone think Poore may be re-signed if we can't attract anyone to the club? if he was to take a massive paycut down to 220k (he won't get a big contract anywhere) then i'd like to see him stay. he has had a hard time with injury and form while here but i think if we sign him for another 2 years then we could get some good years out of him

Eels Dude

Coach
anyone think Poore may be re-signed if we can't attract anyone to the club? if he was to take a massive paycut down to 220k (he won't get a big contract anywhere) then i'd like to see him stay. he has had a hard time with injury and form while here but i think if we sign him for another 2 years then we could get some good years out of him

I guess it depends on how much the club and coach rate him. He's not a rep prop any more, but a club lacking decent starting props would no doubt pay a lot for him given he's basically a bench prop here at best. It's sad he's gone from rep player to fringe first grader in the space of 2 years. Not so much for him, he gets the rep player paycheck.

SDM

First Grade

lol no.

caylo

Bench

Honestly if he stayed he would be lucky to get 200k. IMO 150-165K at best but someone will probably be willing to pay around 200K to get him to move across. I think the likes of Cronulla or Tigers would chase him.

With Teropo on our books plus already Fui, Mannah and Allgood he only going to get limited minutes so he is probably better moving on IMO.

eel01s

Bench
I don't have a problem letting Shack go, however I do have an issue with us getting no gain (i.e. swap with another player) out of it. After all, whats in it for us? No salary cap issues, as he is off contract at the end of the season anyway.

Sure he may not be in SK's plans, but why help out another club?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't have a problem letting Shack go, however I do have an issue with us getting no gain (i.e. swap with another player) out of it. After all, whats in it for us? No salary cap issues, as he is off contract at the end of the season anyway.

Sure he may not be in SK's plans, but why help out another club?

If you extend a contract (i.e. adding years) you can frontload the extension into the current season.

yy_cheng

Coach
Honestly if he stayed he would be lucky to get 200k. IMO 150-165K at best but someone will probably be willing to pay around 200K to get him to move across. I think the likes of Cronulla or Tigers would chase him.

With Teropo on our books plus already Fui, Mannah and Allgood he only going to get limited minutes so he is probably better moving on IMO.

i dont think fui is signed

Eels Dude

Coach
Stagger has mentioned that the club is looking to retain him.

Whether he wants to stay or not is a different story though. If there's a bigger and longer offer out there he may choose to leave. You'd think whatever contract he signs next would be his last.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
If you extend a contract (i.e. adding years) you can frontload the extension into the current season.

that's not true, you can't frontload contracts anymore. my understanding is that you can upgrade an existing contract but it comes out of the caps for seasons past the seasons contracted. eg DCE thats why he got a marginal upgrade for his remaining 2 years. think about it, if you could frontload, manly would have smashed it like no tomorrow to keep him and not pay 400k per season for the new deal (cut 3-4 fringe players storm style etc)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
that's not true, you can't frontload contracts anymore.

I'm certain you can as long as it's an extension (i.e. a new contract). You just can't re-work existing contracts.

my understanding is that you can upgrade an existing contract but it comes out of the caps for seasons past the seasons contracted.

How would that work? Paying for a player after his contract has expired? I don't think so.

eg DCE thats why he got a marginal upgrade for his remaining 2 years. think about it, if you could frontload, manly would have smashed it like no tomorrow to keep him and not pay 400k per season for the new deal (cut 3-4 fringe players storm style etc)

No they couldn't. If you cut players they still count under your cap for the duration of their contracts, unless you can get some other club to pick them up. Even then you have to pay the difference.

The reason Manly couldn't frontload DCE's contract extension too much is because they are already under massive salary cap pressure this year. Next year they're not (though they will be after they've re-signed all the blokes they end up keeping).

oldmancraigy

Coach
I'm certain you can as long as it's an extension (i.e. a new contract). You just can't re-work existing contracts.

If you ask the NRL about salary stuff they'll tell you that "large variances" between years is simply not allowed. The only variances permitted in salaries involve 'reasonable variance'

So don't believe all the talk of "front loaded" and "back loaded" contracts that the papers spew out. Those guys have no idea.

So a 600k over 2 year deal would not be registered if it was submitted as 200k in year 1 and 400k in year 2.
But 275 and 325 would be allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts