What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and More Crap V

Status
Not open for further replies.

eels_fan

First Grade
I think we should keep him, i just don't know if it is good business practice to resign a coach for 3 more years when he's only seen 1 of his first 3 contracted years in

That is not even due to our finished position last year, and he was using Ando's troops. Maybe make a move mid year based on our performances

Kornstar

Coach
Unless other clubs are already looking to sign him for 2014.

The Bulldogs signed Hasler for 2013 at the end of last year and ended up getting him straight away. How can you expect a coach to give 100% to the long-term development side of the club when he knows he won't be there next year?

If Kearney agrees to coach another club when his contract with us expires hopefully he spends that final year (2013) training his replacement (Brad Arthur?) like Bennett did with Price.

Tbh, I can't imagine many, if any clubs would be looking at signing him at the moment.

I am sure there are plenty of eyes on him this year (except us of course, we are already ready to sign him long term) as this will be his make or break year imo............

Mid season I will be doing my judging of him..........I hope the club are also going to wait before making any rash decisions.......

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Yep mid season is the go. Extend his contract if we are going well. Sign someone else up behind his back if we are going poor.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think we will know by mid season if we should extend his contract.

Yeah I reckon.

If we extend him now we'll regret it if the team falls to shit and we're running last by mid-year. But if we wait until the end of the year other clubs might be throwing money at him for 2014 and we might not keep him.

That said, we've got a bit of cash ourselves and I'm sure Kearney would rather stay here and reap the benefits of the work he's already done.

I'm also convinced he has some genuine drawing power on the recruitment side. If the club's looking at extending him already it could be because there are a couple of quality youngsters keen to sign with us on the proviso that Kearney is coach.

Just speculation but.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Tbh, I can't imagine many, if any clubs would be looking at signing him at the moment.

I am sure there are plenty of eyes on him this year (except us of course, we are already ready to sign him long term) as this will be his make or break year imo............

Mid season I will be doing my judging of him..........I hope the club are also going to wait before making any rash decisions.......

I'd say the club is judging him based on things like recruitment and development. They'd know that if you get those things right the on-field results will come, whereas the typical dopey fan only sees wins and losses.

Other clubs would also be looking at Kearney's influence on recruiting, club development and - dare I say it - structure.

Tizzun

Juniors
From what people have said recently the most important resigning would be Nolan. It may be possible Nolan has made it clear he will stay with Parra if Kearney stays as coach? Just speculation. At this point in time I don't rate Kearney as a coach, I believe he will get better in time so resigning him may be a good long term plan.

Gronk

Staff member
Re-signing SK shoukd certainy be on the table. I'd give him every indication that he's got it long term if he wants it, but defer inking a contract and knife him by Rnd 15 if we are still playing like shielas.

It's a jungle out there.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
After 15 rounds last season all the good sides were above 20 points. So I'm prepared to knife him after R15 using 20 points as the cutoff.

IMO we will be above the cutoff.

spartan2153

Juniors
wow. Let the guy prove he can coach first. He is paid to get results and as of so far he has not done that.

Let him get a succesful season first. You could recruited the greatest players in history but at the end of the day if you cant win with them its the coaches fault. So for him to be looked at as being succesful because of so called recruitment is premature at the moment. He has to win first for christ sake & in the end the major signing in sandow did not come here because of kearney is coaching its because we out bid souths

IFR33K

Coach
I'd say the club is judging him based on things like recruitment and development. They'd know that if you get those things right the on-field results will come, whereas the typical dopey fan only sees wins and losses.

Other clubs would also be looking at Kearney's influence on recruiting, club development and - dare I say it - structure.

SK can recruit the greatest players, build academies and say all the right things, but at the end of the day, all that matters is how well we go on the field.

Gronk

Staff member
By rnd 15 he will be halfway through a 3 year tenure. By then his results should determine his destiny.

It's not rocket surgery.

Eels Dude

Coach
The question needs to be asked while he may very well be doing very good things off the field, but unless he can show he can get the best out of his players on the field then he's only half way there. He still needs to prove he can develop game plans to suit the players he has, get them playing together as a team, and get them to rise to the occasion on a week to week basis. That's why it's too early to re-sign him just yet.

Bigfella

Coach
The question needs to be asked while he may very well be doing very good things off the field, but unless he can show he can get the best out of his players on the field then he's only half way there. He still needs to prove he can develop game plans to suit the players he has, get them playing together as a team, and get them to rise to the occasion on a week to week basis. That's why it's too early to re-sign him just yet.

There wasn't any question in that.

Stagger eel

Staff member
wow. Let the guy prove he can coach first. He is paid to get results and as of so far he has not done that.

Let him get a succesful season first. You could recruited the greatest players in history but at the end of the day if you cant win with them its the coaches fault. So for him to be looked at as being succesful because of so called recruitment is premature at the moment. He has to win first for christ sake & in the end the major signing in sandow did not come here because of kearney is coaching its because we out bid souths

really? that would be news to Sandows mother...

Kornstar

Coach

Bullshit!!! If your coach is ultimately shit, all that other stuff is irrelevant! Not saying SK is shit, that is still yet to be determined........

If he can attract a decent hooker, another centre option and a good backrower by mid season and we are going ok, then I understand but if we are struggling to attract anyone and going terrible, why re-sign him long term?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The question needs to be asked while he may very well be doing very good things off the field, but unless he can show he can get the best out of his players on the field then he's only half way there. He still needs to prove he can develop game plans to suit the players he has

He already proved this all last year.

get them playing together as a team

Also proved this last year.

and get them to rise to the occasion on a week to week basis.

Also proved this last year - despite all the narrow losses the only game where we didn't turn up was against Souths. And we rose again the week after. Finally, when we needed a win to avoid the spoon we turned up and belted the Titans in Queensland.

Eels Dude

Coach
He already proved this all last year.

Well he needs to better in that regard. Playing one out game plans might be good for holding onto the ball but it wasn't enough to get us to win games or put fear into the opposition.

Also proved this last year.

That's a matter of opinion. There was still a major lack of cohesion last year, despite the attempts.

Also proved this last year - despite all the narrow losses the only game where we didn't turn up was against Souths. And we rose again the week after. Finally, when we needed a win to avoid the spoon we turned up and belted the Titans in Queensland.

It's not just about rising week to week but playing for 80 minutes each, something we hardly did at all bar maybe the Titans game and the Tigers game.

Now he has the side he wants, let's see what he can do with it before going off too early about our on field performances last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.