What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and More Crap V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Bullshit!!! If your coach is ultimately shit, all that other stuff is irrelevant!

If he's shit then "all that other stuff" won't happen.

What is it you think coaches do? Come up with a magic tactic and say a few magic words before the boys run out on the field?

Not saying SK is shit, that is still yet to be determined........

He's already proven he's not shit. He's a first grade coach and anyone involved with the game already knows it. Do you think Wayne Bennett would come out and praise him if he wasn't? Bennett has a reputation to maintain and he doesn't praise anyone lightly.

If he can attract a decent hooker, another centre option and a good backrower by mid season and we are going ok, then I understand but if we are struggling to attract anyone and going terrible, why re-sign him long term?

Nolan (who works for Kearney) has already said not to expect any more big names. From now on you can only expect us to sign quality up-and-comers and develop them into NRL players.

Gronk

Staff member
True, it was just a statement, and a presumptuous one at that.

There's a few keyboard professional sporting administrators on here, that's for sure. I'm glad none of them are running the club.

As opppsed to you of course. We're lucky to have such an expert in our midst.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well he needs to better in that regard. Playing one out game plans might be good for holding onto the ball but it wasn't enough to get us to win games or put fear into the opposition.

It was the only way our squad could have ground out those six wins and stayed competitive in (nearly) every game.

Hayne was alone last year mate. As soon as Mateo left, Hayne was on a hiding to nothing as far as trying to create opportunities for our team.

How many other playmakers have done well when they were the sole option for their team? Even Andrew Johns struggled without his brother or Danny Buderus on the field.

That's a matter of opinion. There was still a major lack of cohesion last year, despite the attempts.

There was plenty of cohesion last year. There was just too few options.

It's not just about rising week to week but playing for 80 minutes each, something we hardly did at all bar maybe the Titans game and the Tigers game.

We played the full 80 minutes in every game. Those late losses weren't from giving up (who quits when they're holding a narrow lead?) - they were due to being unable to foot it with faster teams when they got desperate.

I've told you merkins this about 20 times already. Pay attention.

Now he has the side he wants, let's see what he can do with it before going off too early about our on field performances last year.

Well that's for us fans to see, but you have to understand that whatever happens on the field, it will be the result of everything that's already happened at the club since Kearney and his staff arrived. The people running the club have already seen all this so they have a better idea of how Kearney is doing than any of us do.

If they want to extend Kearney's contract they have their reasons, and they're in a better position to judge than a bunch of fans on the internet.

Kornstar

Coach

We will find out soon

What is it you think coaches do? Come up with a magic tactic and say a few magic words before the boys run out on the field?

Game plans, structures, recruitment, choosing the right support staff etc. where did I say there was magic words????????

He's already proven he's not shit. He's a first grade coach and anyone involved with the game already knows it. Do you think Wayne Bennett would come out and praise him if he wasn't? Bennett has a reputation to maintain and he doesn't praise anyone lightly.

As an NRL coach, coming 14th, when did he prove it??

Nolan (who works for Kearney) has already said not to expect any more big names. From now on you can only expect us to sign quality up-and-comers and develop them into NRL players.

Then we are f*^%ed, we have no hookers who are anywhere near ready.......unless MK very much picks up his game!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
As opppsed to you of course. We're lucky to have such an expert in our midst.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here; I wouldn't extend Kearney's contract so soon either but I don't pretend to know what's going on behind the scenes - if they're looking to extend Kearney there must be a good reason and I'm just throwing out what those reasons might be. Logic dictates it's due either to recruitment targets or interest from other clubs.

And yes you are.

Kornstar

Coach
I'm just playing devil's advocate here; I wouldn't extend Kearney's contract so soon either but I don't pretend to know what's going on behind the scenes - if they're looking to extend Kearney there must be a good reason and I'm just throwing out what those reasons might be. Logic dictates it's due either to recruitment targets or interest from other clubs.

And yes you are.

No one else is pretending to know either!

The good reason may be because he has dirt on them for all we know, who knows what their reasons are, you are pretending to know it all now!

For the second time in the last 6 months it has been reported that the club is considering extending his contract, and as fans we are expressing our concerns on a public forum........how dare we

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We will find out soon

We will but people who know better have obviously already seen it.

Game plans, structures, recruitment, choosing the right support staff etc. where did I say there was magic words????????

Right, and do you think the people on the inside of the club would be able to judge those things already? Kearney's been at the club for over 12 months now; they would have a pretty fair idea of how he operates.

As an NRL coach, coming 14th, when did he prove it??

With his knowledge of the game, his leadership ability, his reputation and standing in the league community. Do you think Des Hasler was a shit coach when Manly ran third last in his first season in charge?

Then we are f*^%ed, we have no hookers who are anywhere near ready.......unless MK very much picks up his game!

Keating has played in a grand final and McGuire won one. Neither is a top class hooker but Manly and St George proved in successive seasons that you don't need a gun player at dummy half to win a comp. You just shift the focus to other parts of your attack.

Michael Ennis isn't half the playmaker Robbie Farah is, but he constantly gets picked for Origin over him.

You don't need a star at every position (not even in the spine), and as long as there's a salary cap it's probably better if you don't.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No one else is pretending to know either!

Yes they are. If they're saying "It's too soon" then they're saying they know best.

Have you considered that maybe extending Kearney's contract right now is the best thing for the club?

The good reason may be because he has dirt on them for all we know, who knows what their reasons are, you are pretending to know it all now!

Not at all. Me saying you don't know isn't the same thing as if I said I know.

When I talk like I know everything (and I know that's how I come across) I'm just conducting analysis. I don't ever second guess coaches and administrators - people who get paid to know better than me. I don't pretend that I would make better decisions than them.

This is the difference you f**ken nitwits can't grasp.

When I said last year that Burt shouldn't be in first grade next year (i.e. this year) I said I would be surprised if he was. Now that we've started the year and Burt's played the first trial as first choice winger/second choice fullback I decided I must have been wrong - Kearney would know if there was a better option than Burt and clearly there isn't.

I also don't think Burt, Hindmarsh or Moimoi should be re-signed after this year, but if we do keep any of them for 2013 (and beyond) then I won't think the club f**ked up and I know best; I will consider that I was probably wrong and I don't know the players as well as the coaching staff do.

Contrast this with some of you merkins who chucked a tantrum when the club let Inu and Mateo go, and re-signed Matt Keating. Even if those decisions turn out to be mistakes, none of you knew it at the time - you were just guessing. I thought it was wrong to let Kris Keating go but I didn't carry on about it. And in hindsight it turned out pretty well (we got Roberts who suits our needs better).

spartan2153

Juniors
really? that would be news to Sandows mother...

:crazy: sorry you are such a expert on all matters.

Plan on telling the world how to achieve world peace. seriously your unbelievable. I heard different reason why he signed for us & money was deffinately a key factor

Mr Pmatta

Juniors
Im not sold on Kearney as a coach, I just have an unsettling feeling about him, I thought his bench choices and rotations were baffling at best last year, might be different this year with different personel, and thought his tactics last year were also very negative, very much trying to play within ourselves as oppossed to throwing a little caution to the wind and having a go, and is he the man to motivate this team, many have tried in the past, time will tell.

spiderdan

Bench
Wow. All this after a trial game.

Personally I'd be waiting until the back end of the season to contemplate a contract extension (if and how long) for sk but that's me just being an eels supporter that expects us to finish 6-8 in the regular season unless we get long term injuries to key players.

I'd say that sk's performance is being judged against the plan he has put forward to the powers that be and none of us know exactly what that is. I do think though that the start of season two in charge is very early to be talking about an extension.

As always I will be happy if we start the year with a .500 record after 8 games with no major injuries. It's a long season so a lot can happen between now and the finals lead up.

eels81236

Bench
:crazy: sorry you are such a expert on all matters.

Plan on telling the world how to achieve world peace
. seriously your unbelievable. I heard different reason why he signed for us & money was deffinately a key factor

In Stagger's defence, he probably doesn't want to steal Pou's thunder.

Tony Bongo

Bench
From what people have said recently the most important resigning would be Nolan. It may be possible Nolan has made it clear he will stay with Parra if Kearney stays as coach? Just speculation. At this point in time I don't rate Kearney as a coach, I believe he will get better in time so resigning him may be a good long term plan.

IMO it was made clear to me that if Kearney goes Nolan goes, so this is the most likely reason to be looking at extending Kearney's contract. I think it's too early to be doing it but of course I don't know all the factors at play. I guess it worked for the Titans - Oh hang on :shock:

He already proved this all last year.

Yes

Also proved this last year.

Yes

Also proved this last year - despite all the narrow losses the only game where we didn't turn up was against Souths. And we rose again the week after. Finally, when we needed a win to avoid the spoon we turned up and belted the Titans in Queensland.

No we didn't turn up against Penrith at home either.

That could be a smokescreen on Nolan's part. Kearney's proven he's not shit but he hasn't proven that he is a coach who can get us higher than 14th on the ladder yet either.

natheel

Coach
i think it's good the club is looking to extend Kearneys contract. it's about time we had a long term coach secured up. gives Kearney enough time to show us he has what it takes.

sure we didn't finish highly on the table but there was a massive difference in our attitude last year to 2010. with some attacking players coming in this year nad some backrowers hopefully next year, it think Kearney will have the team he really wants to build a solid future in the Blue and Gold with

Status
Not open for further replies.