What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and More Crap V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eels Dude

Coach
Beau Scott would have been a great signing 3 years ago but he's too old to just be throwing cash at now.

grouch

First Grade
Nrl Rumour Mill states that we are close to getting Beau Scott with an offer to good to refuse.
The guy behind that Twitter is some nuffy Dogs fan, and his guesses are about as accurate as Kris Keating's kicking game

jk13

First Grade
Thanks mr t. I pity the fool who thought I was talking about someone else

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...p-star-of-future/story-e6frg7mf-1226266114423

Cowboys struggle to keep star of future Jason Taumalolo

by: Brent Read
February 09, 2012 12:00AM

THEY lost Willie Tonga to Parramatta and now the Cowboys are facing an even bigger battle to keep one of the game's emerging stars from the clutches of the big-spending Eels.

Teenage forward Jason Taumalolo -- earmarked as a star after winning the Players Association's Toyota Cup player of the year award last year -- is off contract at the end of this season and in the sights of Parramatta coach Stephen Kearney.

It's not the only tug of war involving Taumalolo. It is believed the 18-year-old, who was born in Auckland and played for the Junior Kiwis last year, is weighing up whether to commit to New Zealand or Australia.

Taumololo moved to Townsville as a 13-year-old and played Queensland and Australian schoolboys.

North Queensland football manager Peter Parr said he was aware of offers from rival clubs but was optimistic the Cowboys could retain a player they hope will form the cornerstone of their forward pack with Tariq Sims for the next decade.

"We want to keep him," Parr said. "We have had him in our system for a long time. We have done all the right things by him. He's telling us he is comfortable and, all things being equal, he wants to stay."

The problem for the Cowboys is that all things aren't necessarily equal, particularly where money is involved.

"What we can't control is the size of the offer he might get from elsewhere," Parr said.

Taumalolo, in Perth with the Cowboys for a pre-season trial against St George Illawarra, is expected to sit down with his manager, Chris Orr, in the next fortnight to discuss his future.

"I am planning a trip up there in the next two weeks to discuss both offers with Jason and his father," Orr said.

"I think they're both going to be healthy offers. There's not many players who play their first game in first grade as a 17-year-old like he has."

The Eels have spent significantly over the past six months, on occasion at the expense of the Cowboys. As well as signing halfback Chris Sandow to a deal, Parramatta lured Tonga from the Cowboys. The club has also made a long-term commitment in Manly back Will Hopoate, who is carrying out his Mormon mission.

While those players were established first graders when they were signed, Taumalolo is only just beginning his journey. Most experts predict it will culminate with him becoming one of the game's best forwards.

Orr confirmed the haggling extended to representative football. "He played for the Queensland and Australian schoolboys, but he played for the Junior Kiwis as well," Orr said.

"He has got a decision there . . . to make shortly."

born an eel

Bench
this just highlights the problem we will have in coming years. If the academy works as it should we will have no protection from big spending clubs poaching players after the development work is done.

The NRL need to either have a transfer system in place or a cap compensation that allows clubs to be competitive in retaining juniors.

SDM

First Grade
this just highlights the problem we will have in coming years. If the academy works as it should we will have no protection from big spending clubs poaching players after the development work is done.

The NRL need to either have a transfer system in place or a cap compensation that allows clubs to be competitive in retaining juniors.

The purpose of the academy is to identify the future talent and lock it up before it gets to that stage.

born an eel

Bench
The purpose of the academy is to identify the future talent and lock it up before it gets to that stage.
I can't see how they will "lock it up". There are several salary caps that you are restricted by.

You can not just sign every good prospect to long term contracts and the kids themselves will not short change themselves.

Bigfella

Coach
That's a problem everyone should have equally.

It's certainly not a reason not to have the academy.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I can't see how they will "lock it up". There are several salary caps that you are restricted by.

You can not just sign every good prospect to long term contracts and the kids themselves will not short change themselves.

I remember Poupou explained it a while back. We are going to sign them all up to 5 year contracts on the cheap. Or something like that.

Parraren

Bench
Beau Scott would have been a great signing 3 years ago but he's too old to just be throwing cash at now.

I tend to agree but our little halfback needs a good minder.

Beau has done a great job looking after Soward in the past few years and I'm sure that's why we're interested in him.

Especially if both Hindy & Ben Smith aren't around next year. Someone needs to make the tackles.

Eels Dude

Coach

I've never understood why this academy idea is seen as so innovative when we've always had one sinc ethe Brian Smith days, it just wasn't called that.

But your argument doesn't make sense, it's to ensure that that the talent pool doesn't dry up. So that when we do lose players to cashed up clubs we have aduqate replacements ready to step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts