What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and TheRam's whinging XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bandwagon

Staff member
So let's say that a bloke like Whatmough signs for $500,000 per season. Let's say we don't back or front-load anything. We've paid him $500, 000 last year and another $500,000 this year. We owe him $1mil.
Now, we obviously aren't going to say, okay, you retire and we'll pay you $1mil and that will come out of our cap next year. So an agreement has to be reached. What if we said, we'll make it $400,000 all up because we aren't getting the benefit of having you play for us anymore? What would be the incentive for Whatmough to retire? Wouldn't he be better off playing reserve grade for two years and collecting a million dollars?

He takes his payday in England or France, where he could still be among the elite in the competition, rather than be a passenger killing his team mates chances here at Parra.

What kind of world class athlete wants to play out the end of his career as a nuffie?

oldmancraigy

Coach
Within reason, I think so.

If you pay a fitness coach $500,000 I suspect there'd be a problem. If you paid em $150-$200k, it'd probably go through.

Does the NRL get told how much non players get paid?

As far as I know you can shed salary by giving a player to a club that wants him, or if the player retires the money goes into the void, cap free.

The sport isnt quite so rich yet that it is an exploitable loophole for high salaried players...

oldmancraigy

Coach
He takes his payday in England or France, where he could still be among the elite in the competition, rather than be a passenger killing his team mates chances here at Parra.

What kind of world class athlete wants to play out the end of his career as a nuffie?

Robbie Farah?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Any of the ones who go to England. Moimoi went and played second grade!

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
Anyone see Fui, Willie T and Reni are all playing for the Leigh now?

12572961_10153975764688013_3862354723736081282_n.jpg

hindy111

Post Whore
No. What we will probably do is give him a 3 or 4 year deal. The Roosters chip in for 2016. In 2017 we take on the whole contract and entice him with a longer contract and provide security from 2017 onwards.

Why do you not want Jennings?
AT 27 he will be hitting his Peak... 4 yrs mean you get 2 of his best year and potentially 3-4.But he will be at a very high level for all 4.

At 500k a season there is little risk. If he doesnt play to his peak you might be over paying by lets say 100-150K....Not a total bust.

Watmough = lets just say was brought in for off field work as well.Makes us all feel better. He wont play his 4th season. Club will offer him a job at club ;) TBH his last 4-5 games before he was injured he actually was one of our better forwards. IMO he was just trying WAY to hard his first half of season. Once he relaxed he started looking good.Sure he will never be a top line 2nd rower again.And sure he is over paid.But if he offers some leadership and aggression too lead our pack then money well spent.

Guys like Manu-KE-Gower-Mannah-Wicks-Tepai-Jnr - They just do there work. Watmough is a leader. He may of needed a year to settle in and stamp his ground! Do not completely write him off yet

hindy111

Post Whore
I agree. I think Whatmough was a ridiculous purchase for four years. I really don't think he can play at any decent level for the next three years.
Jennings, I think, is a good buy. We have desperately needed a quality centre for a long time. The centre position is very under-rated IMO.

Read my above Post on Watmough.....

Now on Jennings- He is elite. Maybe a bit of a Di$%head thou? Great signing if comes off thou.
Centre is important but so is wing. They have to be safe-Be able too finish-catch high Balls and make meters rucking it up. Also an underated position.
Whats the least important position? Depends-You could say 5/8 if you have a gun fullback and halfback. You could say Lock or prop if you have outstanding guys around the pack.
It is just how you build your team.
But i think Halves-Hooker are the most important positions as they are the hardest to find great Quality.
I mean even at fullback Gordon would be rated in the bottom 3-4 going around yet is still quality IMO

Does the NRL get told how much non players get paid?

As far as I know you can shed salary by giving a player to a club that wants him, or if the player retires the money goes into the void, cap free.

The sport isnt quite so rich yet that it is an exploitable loophole for high salaried players...

There's a difference between generic 'non players' and 'non players who were under an NRL contract and just became non players'. As the NRL are parties to the terminated NRL contract, I would think (but do not know for a fact) that they'd have a right to investigate all benefits paid to a player (by the club) in the circumstances we are talking about. Again, as long as the amount paid is not ridiculous, I don't there'd be a problem, but if it is an obvious sham, then you might have a problem.

hindy111

Post Whore
Watmoughs stats - Last 5 games -
115mtrs 28 tackles
43 mtrs 30 tackles
128 mtrs - 40 tackles
110 mtrs - 25 tackles
117 mtrs - 20 tackles
118 mtrs - 22 tackles

hindy111

Post Whore
Above shows my theory and supports that i know what i am talking about. He started too play well!

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Watmoughs stats - Last 5 games -
115mtrs 28 tackles
43 mtrs 30 tackles
128 mtrs - 40 tackles
110 mtrs - 25 tackles
117 mtrs - 20 tackles
118 mtrs - 22 tackles

That's six sets of stats, but I agree with the sentiment. Once he settled in and stopped trying to be a ball-player he was good. Just need him to essentially become a third prop on the field and leave the ball playing to the likes of Ken Edwards and David Gower.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Watmough wasn't that bad last year considering he was injured. As Hindy said once he concentrated on the basics he went alright. Plus he was massive in defence especially line speed which is rarely noticed by fans. Once him and Mannah came off, we started to always lose the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.