What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

betcats

Referee
He inherited Ivan's team though. It's not like he got the team he wanted when he started. If we a new coach before 2019 he will have the same issue. It's the downside to locking up everyone long term. Now we seem to of settled on a few positions we hopefully will reap the rewards

A lot will depend on how we finish this year off but you don't just hang onto an average coach because you think changing will set you back. There are many recent examples of new coaches doing well in their first seasons, Robinson obviously is the standout. There is a very good chance the Hook will get us to a worse finish than last season tbh. We have the squad for any good coach to do well for, no ones going to look at our squad and start changing the spine or halves, they pick themselves Griffins the only one who couldn't see it.

franklin2323

Immortal
In 2002 John Lang inherited Royce Simmons 2001 Wooden Spoon side full of young kids Cower, Wesser, Lewis, Rooney, Waterhouse Rodney Swain etc 2003 we won the comp. Stop making excuses for Griffin because IMO he is an average coach.

Priddis and Preston weren't with us in 2001 but were in 2002 so that statement is just wrong. we have no such room for the coming seasons. He is average but the comp is full of average coaches I will take winning games with an average coach over punting an average coach for another one. Unless Bellamy or someone is available while we are winning games it makes no sense to change

franklin2323

Immortal
A lot will depend on how we finish this year off but you don't just hang onto an average coach because you think changing will set you back. There are many recent examples of new coaches doing well in their first seasons, Robinson obviously is the standout. There is a very good chance the Hook will get us to a worse finish than last season tbh. We have the squad for any good coach to do well for, no ones going to look at our squad and start changing the spine or halves, they pick themselves Griffins the only one who couldn't see it.

Cleary didn't rate Austin as a half. Moylan was told to go before crazy injuries got him a start with us. Coaches do some weird things so who knows really. I'd think Ciraldo would be next in line he has much success with halves of Cleary/May and Edwards on the wing no guarantee he wasn't the assistant that said to keep Moylan at FB. You would assume we have found our spine that hook wants and time will decide he well it goes

betcats

Referee
Cleary didn't rate Austin as a half. Moylan was told to go before crazy injuries got him a start with us. Coaches do some weird things so who knows really. I'd think Ciraldo would be next in line he has much success with halves of Cleary/May and Edwards on the wing no guarantee he wasn't the assistant that said to keep Moylan at FB. You would assume we have found our spine that hook wants and time will decide he well it goes

IF we miss the 8 and don't fire him it will be a travesty. How about we do our due diligence and have a proper look for a good coach. If that means we end up with Ciraldo or Brennan then I will be happy with that.
Brennan has another team doing very well, the NSW cup team has had a shitload more changes and disruption than the FG team, the spine has been a revolving door plus he has to bring all the kids up from NYC for their little stints, if we don't make the 8 I'd like to see Gould put his money where his mouth is and give Brennan a go, the guys record in the lower grades is brilliant. We don't need Bellamy/Bennett and we will never get them to work under Gus anyway.

Cleary gets bad wrap around here but he has genuinely improved that tigers team this season and it doesn't get much worse than the tigers situation he walked into. Meanwhile Penrith have shown some structural and positional improvements and are a bit more resilient in defence but our basics are still f**ked, errors penalties and missed tackles. I'd take Cleary or even Nathan Brown in a heartbeat.

franklin2323

Immortal
IF we miss the 8 and don't fire him it will be a travesty. How about we do our due diligence and have a proper look for a good coach. If that means we end up with Ciraldo or Brennan then I will be happy with that.
Brennan has another team doing very well, the NSW cup team has had a shitload more changes and disruption than the FG team, the spine has been a revolving door plus he has to bring all the kids up from NYC for their little stints, if we don't make the 8 I'd like to see Gould put his money where his mouth is and give Brennan a go, the guys record in the lower grades is brilliant. We don't need Bellamy/Bennett and we will never get them to work under Gus anyway.

Cleary gets bad wrap around here but he has genuinely improved that tigers team this season and it doesn't get much worse than the tigers situation he walked into. Meanwhile Penrith have shown some structural and positional improvements and are a bit more resilient in defence but our basics are still f**ked, errors penalties and missed tackles. I'd take Cleary or even Nathan Brown in a heartbeat.

That is part of the reason I think Gus should go too. Our lack of experience in the roster and hiring Griffin without so much as talking to other coaching options. Cleary was too defensive even told Nathan he would finish NYC then a year in NSW Cup before playing FG if he was here still. Griffin did blood alot of players at the Broncos too so that is one thing he does. Whether he is the one to develop them correctly is the question

betcats

Referee
That is part of the reason I think Gus should go too. Our lack of experience in the roster and hiring Griffin without so much as talking to other coaching options. Cleary was too defensive even told Nathan he would finish NYC then a year in NSW Cup before playing FG if he was here still. Griffin did blood alot of players at the Broncos too so that is one thing he does. Whether he is the one to develop them correctly is the question

Ivan blooded a lot of kids also. You cant blame him for being protective and trying to manage his sons expectations a bit. i'll say this, I'd rather have Nathan play lower grades till he was 21 then FG for us for a long time then have him play FG for us from 18-21/22 and then have him leave to play for his Dad, I hope Gus can lock that kid up.

Anyway like Ive been saying if we make the 8 Hook should get next year but im still far from convinced he can get the best out of this team.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
I know Gould has said At this point in time, our club will not recruit any NRL talent from rival clubs for season 2018.

But rumour has popped up and Gould does have a habit of saying things and doing the opposite with recruitment.

The Bulldogs have had little interest from rival clubs with few showing interest in the unprecedented August shopping list.

It is understood out of favour forward Eastwood has held discussion with the Panthers about a switch next year in a move that would see the Bulldogs payout most of his $700,000 a year deal.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/a49f3b3ab70865cc49c5dfd86b5a34b4

How much will the Dogs pay? what will he cost us year 2? and do we want him?

bebo

Juniors
I know Gould has said At this point in time, our club will not recruit any NRL talent from rival clubs for season 2018.

But rumour has popped up and Gould does have a habit of saying things and doing the opposite with recruitment.

The Bulldogs have had little interest from rival clubs with few showing interest in the unprecedented August shopping list.

It is understood out of favour forward Eastwood has held discussion with the Panthers about a switch next year in a move that would see the Bulldogs payout most of his $700,000 a year deal.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/a49f3b3ab70865cc49c5dfd86b5a34b4

How much will the Dogs pay? what will he cost us year 2? and do we want him?
Maybe true I have heard a 2nd rower is being shopped around

tripster

Juniors
Please no. He's rubbish.

I also think he is a complete grub.

I recall him breaking at least two players' ankles (one of whom was Bryce Cartwright, which nearly ended his career - another being Benji Marshall) with his dirty grab and pivot around the leg tackling technique (effectively putting all of his 120 kgs of fat onto the ankle of the attacking player). I think it ended up becoming known as the "Dog leg" and he might have got suspended after he did it a few times and the NRL finally did something about it.

I also remember another incident where he made a late hit on Moylan and hurt Moylan's back pretty badly.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Honestly hope Penrith hold out for a little longer.Thus the chance of better players being put up for sale and Bulldogs willing to pay more.

Really don't know what to think about Eastwood after his 'grub acts'.Don't know enough about other parts of his game to make judgement.

mxlegend99

Referee
We dont need any shitty reject Bulldogs forwards. One is plenty.

Every team will hold out for Klemmer or Jackson to hit the market which means if they do they will go for market value. Would be better off letting Sharon Woods go then either of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.