What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

age.s

First Grade
Because we have better. We don't need some shit bloke taking up a spot.

He's not shit though. He's a good player having a shit year at a mess of a club. The game's history is littered with players who look awful at basket case clubs before reverting back to their career form in a better environment.

To be clear, I wouldnt want him at market value, but picking up a good player for next to nothing is the kind of thing that turns good teams into great ones. If he remains a plodder we've just signed a reserve grader on reserve grade money. The risk of this signing is minimal.

YoungPanther

Juniors
None of this makes sense. Why would the Dogs pay (as an example) $600k of the $700k salary to release Eastwood. The $600k still counts in the Dogs salary cap for 2018.

Let's say they do that with 3 players to get them off the books. They effectively would have $2M of cap playing elsewhere, ensuring they are playing against every side with a salary cap $2M less than everyone else.

I get it if they can get them off the books for say 50%, but I don't see a "fire sale" as surely not even the Dogs are that stupid

Honestly hope Penrith hold out for a little longer.Thus the chance of better players being put up for sale and Bulldogs willing to pay more.

Really don't know what to think about Eastwood after his 'grub acts'.Don't know enough about other parts of his game to make judgement.

Five years ago I would have said yes.

We've moved on though and we don't need him, especially with his reputation of acts of grubbery.

betcats

Referee
Nrl clubs should play hardball with the dogs. They are desperately trying to offload players because they can't fit in woods and Foran. Eastwood might be cheap and low risk but I'd rather not help out the dogs for a guy like eastwood

Black Magik

Juniors
None of this makes sense. Why would the Dogs pay (as an example) $600k of the $700k salary to release Eastwood. The $600k still counts in the Dogs salary cap for 2018.

Let's say they do that with 3 players to get them off the books. They effectively would have $2M of cap playing elsewhere, ensuring they are playing against every side with a salary cap $2M less than everyone else.

I get it if they can get them off the books for say 50%, but I don't see a "fire sale" as surely not even the Dogs are that stupid
I think it proves to the NRL that they are putting effort into managing the situation hoping the fine will be less and no competition points.

My opinion is the NRL will not register the contracts of Foran and Woods, they will cop a fine and be on a reduced cap until the ledger breaks even.

OldPanther

Coach
They said on tv the Dogs need to find a place for players at market value or they have to pay for their contracts so if they can find clubs willing to pay that they will be ok as far as the cap goes.

kinghippo

Juniors
Back ended contracts destroy clubs.
Eastwood on 700,000 is a joke, I hope we haven't gotten ourselves into any of that.
I agree betcats the dogs have got themselves into trouble by paying overs for duds, they shouldn't have any help getting out of it.
They are using the salary cap dramas as a smokescreen for bad management.
They have gone out and signed 2 marquee players for next year out of desperation knowing they are over cap, unfortunately for them i think woods and Foran will be duds as well.

age.s

First Grade
Nrl clubs should play hardball with the dogs. They are desperately trying to offload players because they can't fit in woods and Foran. Eastwood might be cheap and low risk but I'd rather not help out the dogs for a guy like eastwood

Probably the best argument against signing the guy tbh. Watching the Dogs stew in the mess they've made is one of the greatest things you can see in footy after a Panthers premiership.

Kilkenny

Coach
Eastwood is not needed regardless of how cheap he may come. We have some young back rowers yet to debut who offer far more.

While on the subject of recruitment I'm not sure we really need to bring in any high profile recruits. Not that we have any funds under the cap anyway.

I think we have pretty decent depth across almost all positions. We have been tested with a few injuries again this season but which position do we actually need to strengthen? Certainly not the back/front row given we have any number of kids waiting for opportunity (one or two who may even move on for greater opportunity). Darren Nichols in NSW Cup is a first grader just waiting for a crack. Dean Whare can't even get in the side at the moment and frankly will not get a look in this season unless for injury to our current pairing?

There will no doubt be one or two minimum wage recruits but other than that I don't see any major acquisitions.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
Eastwood is not needed regardless of how cheap he may come. We have some young back rowers yet to debut who offer far more.

While on the subject of recruitment I'm not sure we really need to bring in any high profile recruits. Not that we have any funds under the cap anyway.

I think we have pretty decent depth across almost all positions. We have been tested with a few injuries again this season but which position do we actually need to strengthen? Certainly not the back/front row given we have any number of kids waiting for opportunity (one or two who may even move on for greater opportunity). Darren Nichols in NSW Cup is a first grader just waiting for a crack. Dean Whare can't even get in the side at the moment and frankly will not get a look in this season unless for injury to our current pairing?

There will no doubt be one or two minimum wage recruits but other than that I don't see any major acquisitions.

I agree completely. We already have an over stacked roster with more depth than most teams.

mxlegend99

Referee
Nicholls seems more than capable from what I've seen. I haven't seen many back up halves better then him this year.

May, Nicholls & Cartwright as a last resort aren't bad options IMO.
Nichols looks like a first grader in the way he controls the game. Doesnt necessarily mean he could do it in the NRL. But yeah an NRL quality 7 wont remain depth for long.

franklin2323

Immortal
Nicholls seems more than capable from what I've seen. I haven't seen many back up halves better then him this year.

May, Nicholls & Cartwright as a last resort aren't bad options IMO.

Cartwright or May with Moylan would be terrible. Nicholls is 28 and doesn't have a FG game to his name. There would be doubts if he would be upto it. NYC halves are too young.

I think we will wait till the dust settles with an official salary cap figure before we buy any new players.
There could be a few bargains come November.

The main focus for the club is extending Edwards contract and trying to talk Cleary into extending his deal past 2019.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
Eastwood to the Panthers has been denied by Panther officials.

Eastwood has been shopped around to a number of clubs, including his former team Brisbane, but he is yet to land a deal.

Penrith had been linked to the Kiwis’ World Cup winner from 2008, but Panthers officials denied any interest when contacted on Monday.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/1ebb50195b0a2d7eaa0e1d8fd23720d5
Thank god.

This grub is not fit to wear our jersey. His dodgy tackles have injured too many Panthers players.

Status
Not open for further replies.