What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilkenny

Coach
He's definitely on minimum wage. No one wanted him and they're taking a risk free go. Succeed and he's an amazing talent, fail and he doesn't play just like most players in that bottom tier reserves.

You may be right and I may be wrong. As I understand the minimum wage for players not on development contracts for 2019 was $105,000. I have read varying articles on what it was this season but it seems to be in the vicinity of $115,000.

I just don’t see Bryce signing with the Eels for $115,000 or anything near that. He was reported to be on a deal around $450-$500K a season with the Titans which I believe still had one year to run.

I have a golfing buddy who is a personal friend of the Dave Cartwright family, mainly through his previous business and sponsorship of the St Mary’s Rugby Leagues Club.

His view is Bryce is going to receive a contract well in excess of the minimum wage but not anything near what he was earning at the Titans (or Panthers when he was with us). I suspect he is likely to be signing a contract somewhere in the vicinity of $250-$300K.

WestyLife

First Grade
You may be right and I may be wrong. As I understand the minimum wage for players not on development contracts for 2019 was $105,000. I have read varying articles on what it was this season but it seems to be in the vicinity of $115,000.

I just don’t see Bryce signing with the Eels for $115,000 or anything near that. He was reported to be on a deal around $450-$500K a season with the Titans which I believe still had one year to run.

I have a golfing buddy who is a personal friend of the Dave Cartwright family, mainly through his previous business and sponsorship of the St Mary’s Rugby Leagues Club.

His view is Bryce is going to receive a contract well in excess of the minimum wage but not anything near what he was earning at the Titans (or Panthers when he was with us). I suspect he is likely to be signing a contract somewhere in the vicinity of $250-$300K.

It's possible but if true the Eels got shafted. Not a single club would've taken him so they had all the negotiating power.

Whino

Bench
I been calling for his signing. Firstly its not 500k that you guys or the titans paid. Its min wage. Whatever that is for a top 30 player. Considering the guys in your top 30 filling spots 25-30 will rarely play NRL how is it a poor signing?
At worse he takes one of those spots. At best he forces his way into the top 17 and maybe even starts.
At 25 his body would be in peak. BA hopefully can get his attitude right. If does he can fill the potential he has. You do not lose all that talent.

Bryce's body is not in peak. He is battling a chronic knee. There was a story in the papers earlier in the year about it. He has to constantly get fluid drained and he has the knees of a 50 year old.
Both knees are bone on bone.

hindy111

Post Whore
Panthers have released or allowed to leave Shawn Blore, Kaide Ellis, Jed Cartwright and Dean Blore (all mid season) and Aekins, Tamou, Hetherington, B McGrady, MWZ and Pat Hollis at the season’s end. I think the total contract worth of the players we have lost/released would exceed the total cap value of the players you have released and your club has actively recruited 4 new players. I understand the Eels are not having the issues were having with contract upgrades but still I am a little surprised by your active recruitment and surely you guys must be spending close next years cap by now, whatever it may be.

But we aren't paying any guys to play at other clubs. Blake and Rcg for example.

Your cap includes a top 30. I assume you released guys who where on min but wanted upgrades and unable to afford.
Releasing guys who are on min and replacing with guys on min is an even transaction. How much do you feel Opacic,Lussick,Cartwright and Papali cost?
I'd say 3 on min and Papali on around 250k. I listed guys we released who where on top 17 money. Evans,Terepo,Taka. Add Alvaro who will be gone along with most likely MJ.
Others like Gower and Davey, GJ would be close to min so basicaly straight swaps.

hindy111

Post Whore
I like Papalii got good potential if BA can get the best out of him.

What happened to Alvaro? He has gone off the boil. Struggled this year and last year. Wasn't he Parramatta's player of the year a few years ago?

Alvaro is a hard worker. Offers little in attack. With Jnr,Brown,Rcg in middle and young Kafusi and Niakuore emerging he isn't needed. Plus from what hear a couple of great young props coming through.
Rumour is Dragons. Could be a cheap pick up for you guys. Wouldn't make your top 17 though.

franklin2323

Immortal
Not suggesting he’s unqualified, just that did we cast a wide net or just look at someone he’s comfortable with?

But his success in lower grades was a while ago, since then the FG teams he’s been involved with haven’t been successful.

Finding an assistant can be hard they either want to be a head coach or can be too far apart in believes on how the side should play.. So it narrows the candiate pool just there

hindy111

Post Whore

250k perhaps. Parra cough up 150 and Titans throw in 250k. They where happy to pay 700k for Hayne to play elsewhere.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I been calling for his signing. Firstly its not 500k that you guys or the titans paid. Its min wage. Whatever that is for a top 30 player. Considering the guys in your top 30 filling spots 25-30 will rarely play NRL how is it a poor signing?
At worse he takes one of those spots. At best he forces his way into the top 17 and maybe even starts.
At 25 his body would be in peak. BA hopefully can get his attitude right. If does he can fill the potential he has. You do not lose all that talent.

Mate he's knees are shot, totally gone.

I've been told he's a very poor trainer. Dislikes hard work.

He also has a WAG wife who is a rabid anti vaxxer.......min wage or not does your clubd really want or need that.

hindy111

Post Whore
Mate he's knees are shot, totally gone.

I've been told he's a very poor trainer. Dislikes hard work.

He also has a WAG wife who is a rabid anti vaxxer.......min wage or not does your clubd really want or need that.

I doubt our club has much money to spend. They have a top 17 already.
They need to fill the top 30 with min wage signings. A 25yld with talent and experience is better then over paying a junior yet to prove himself.
Example is Stefano who went to the Tigers from our clubs on close to 300k.

So you either take risks on guys like Cartwright or upgrade young juniors or sign journeymen. Id say most clubs fill there 18-30 with a mixture of these.

Kilkenny

Coach
But we aren't paying any guys to play at other clubs. Blake and Rcg for example.

Your cap includes a top 30. I assume you released guys who where on min but wanted upgrades and unable to afford.
Releasing guys who are on min and replacing with guys on min is an even transaction. How much do you feel Opacic,Lussick,Cartwright and Papali cost?
I'd say 3 on min and Papali on around 250k. I listed guys we released who where on top 17 money. Evans,Terepo,Taka. Add Alvaro who will be gone along with most likely MJ.
Others like Gower and Davey, GJ would be close to min so basicaly straight swaps.

All good. Ive never professed to really have any idea what players true earnings are and the media figures are often just pure speculation for the most part. Fans often talk about players being paid the minimum wage but i suspect there is less than you think. Players supposed to be on the minimum are more likely to be earning $130-$170 and in Bryce Cartwright’s case I don’t think he would be on anything less than $250K albeit I suspect the Titans will be contributing.

hindy111

Post Whore
Panthers need to do this

Get Whare off books. He would be in top 17 money.

Try and release Mansour

Staines would be on top 17 money

Spencer replaces Tamou.

I'd also work out what to do with Burton. Id release Edwards or Naden if he can fill centre or Fullback.

mxlegend99

Referee
Bryce could have been on $10m a year at Titans. But he requested a release so that contract is irrelevant and he is only worth as much as a team will pay him.

No way anyone offered more than minimum wage. Why would they? It's a career lifeline. He takes that or doesn't play again. He gets a second chance to prove he's worth more.

Eels would be insane to pay more than that. Although even $200k a year could potentially be a great return on investment for the capability he had. To me it wouldnt be worth the risk

Kilkenny

Coach
Panthers need to do this

Get Whare off books. He would be in top 17 money.

Try and release Mansour

Staines would be on top 17 money

Spencer replaces Tamou.

I'd also work out what to do with Burton. Id release Edwards or Naden if he can fill centre or Fullback.

There is a lot of talk around Mansour. Unless we absolutely need his 400K or whatever he is on for upgrades why not just keep him even if he is no longer guaranteed selection i the top 17. He has come off his best season in some years, and at the very least even if he is not in the top 17 then he is a great back up to call on if Staines goes down injured.

Same with Dean Whare. Age and injuries have caught up with him and assuming he stays he will only be a back up option. Given Dean’s recent injury issues I just don’t see how we can get him off the books.

We’ve already allowed a lot of players to leave and while I understand there is still much work to be done on upgrades you still have to have a top 30 or perhaps top 28 if that what it is in 2021.

Kilkenny

Coach
Not all of them are old but they are our rejects

The jury is very much out in respect of Waa Blake. RCG was great for the first 3/4 of this season but he did seem to taper of a bit in the latter part of the season but as I have read he need’s surgery to address two or three minor injury issues he was carrying. The beast Maiko Sivo will always score tries such is his physical prowess but he has other issues that detract from his overall worth or value to the team and Eels fans were calling for him to be dropped at the back end of the season.

RCG had to move on his time with us was up and he needed a change. He has done well and been rewarded with a call up to the Blues squad. Blake and Sivo are more hit and miss and I really don’t think we have suffered to any great degree in allowing them to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts