What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilkenny

Coach
The jury is very much out in respect of Waqa Blake. RCG was great for the first 3/4 of this season but he did seem to taper of a bit in the latter part of the season but as I have read he need’s surgery to address two or three minor injury issues he was carrying. The beast Maiko Sivo will always score tries such is his physical prowess but he has other issues that detract from his overall worth or value to the team and Eels fans were calling for him to be dropped at the back end of the season.

RCG had to move on his time with us was up and he needed a change. He has done well and been rewarded with a call up to the Blues squad. Blake and Sivo are more hit and miss and I really don’t think we have suffered to any great degree in allowing them to leave.

hindy111

Post Whore
The jury is very much out in respect of Waa Blake. RCG was great for the first 3/4 of this season but he did seem to taper of a bit in the latter part of the season but as I have read he need’s surgery to address two or three minor injury issues he was carrying. The beast Maiko Sivo will always score tries such is his physical prowess but he has other issues that detract from his overall worth or value to the team and Eels fans were calling for him to be dropped at the back end of the season.

RCG had to move on his time with us was up and he needed a change. He has done well and been rewarded with a call up to the Blues squad. Blake and Sivo are more hit and miss and I really don’t think we have suffered to any great degree in allowing them to leave.

RCG = Great

Blake = Average

Sivo = I would prefer G.Jennings.

hindy111

Post Whore
There is a lot of talk around Mansour. Unless we absolutely need his 400K or whatever he is on for upgrades why not just keep him even if he is no longer guaranteed selection i the top 17. He has come off his best season in some years, and at the very least even if he is not in the top 17 then he is a great back up to call on if Staines goes down injured.

Same with Dean Whare. Age and injuries have caught up with him and assuming he stays he will only be a back up option. Given Dean’s recent injury issues I just don’t see how we can get him off the books.

We’ve already allowed a lot of players to leave and while I understand there is still much work to be done on upgrades you still have to have a top 30 or perhaps top 28 if that what it is in 2021.

You can't have guys on 400k outside your top 17. If do your other players end up with back ended contracts. Not a great long term solution.

My reason for Josh isn't form based. Its more can Staines do as good a job?

Whino

Bench
You can't have guys on 400k outside your top 17. If do your other players end up with back ended contracts. Not a great long term solution.

Staines can do a great job, when he stays fit.

Kilkenny

Coach
I can't imagine why the Titans would be paying a cent for Bryce. Whatever deal they made to release him was done & dusted before he signed with anyone. If Parra asked them to contribute they would have told them to f**k off.

I think it is just the signing clubs have all the power!!! Just like when we released
Blake & RCG we were desperate enough to get them of our books and willing the subsidise the salary.

In Bryce’s case I guess he and his manager were well aware Bryce would have to take a pay cut to get back to Sydney but given how desperate the Titans were or are to free up the cap space for there big signings a compromise would be reached with whomever
Bryce was going to go to.

soc123_au

Staff member
I think it is just the signing clubs have all the power!!! Just like when we released
Blake & RCG we were desperate enough to get them of our books and willing the subsidise the salary.

In Bryce’s case I guess he and his manager were well aware Bryce would have to take a pay cut to get back to Sydney but given how desperate the Titans were or are to free up the cap space for there big signings a compromise would be reached with whomever
Bryce was going to go to.

They released him 5 weeks ago. No doubt some kind of golden handshake was part of it, but it bears zero relevance to him signing for anyone else. For Parra asking Gold Coast to be chipping in for his new deal would be on par with if the Knights came to us to chip in for Gower when he went there.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

If Mansour is re-signed it would be on a greatly reduced contract.

Panthers need to do this

Get Whare off books. He would be in top 17 money.

Try and release Mansour

Staines would be on top 17 money

Spencer replaces Tamou.

I'd also work out what to do with Burton. Id release Edwards or Naden if he can fill centre or Fullback.

Too early to be changing fullback. I think Edwards will be overtaken by someone else, but none are ready just yet.

If Mansour is re-signed it would be on a greatly reduced contract.

Sounds like he’s on the way out anyway. I doubt he’ll get another contract with us. (Judging from the western weekender)

Josh had a great year, from his perspective the best thing to do would be to parlay that into a 3 year deal from another club.

Suspect the clubs first preference would be to move Whare on, but with 2 years left on his deal that would be very hard.

Kilkenny

Coach
They released him 5 weeks ago. No doubt some kind of golden handshake was part of it, but it bears zero relevance to him signing for anyone else. For Parra asking Gold Coast to be chipping in for his new deal would be on par with if the Knights came to us to chip in for Gower when he went there.

Mate, I could be very wrong, but as I said above I’ve heard from a close source Bryce is not exactly going to be struggling to pay for milk and bread. Whose paying what and whether the Titans are chipping in will probably never be known.

WestyLife

First Grade
Mate, I could be very wrong, but as I said above I’ve heard from a close source Bryce is not exactly going to be struggling to pay for milk and bread. Whose paying what and whether the Titans are chipping in will probably never be known.

It's impossible for the titans to be chipping in as he wasn't contracted to them.

Thu 17 Sep 2020

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2020/09/17/gold-coast-titans-announce-departure-of-bryce-cartwright/

The Gold Coast Titans have today confirmed the departure of Bryce Cartwright from the club.

In recent weeks, Bryce has indicated to the club that his preference is to continue his career in New South Wales. As such, the Titans have arrived at an agreement with Bryce to release him from his contractual obligations with immediate effect which will allow him to explore his options for the 2021 season and beyond.

Whino

Bench
Sounds like he’s on the way out anyway. I doubt he’ll get another contract with us. (Judging from the western weekender)

Josh had a great year, from his perspective the best thing to do would be to parlay that into a 3 year deal from another club.

Suspect the clubs first preference would be to move Whare on, but with 2 years left on his deal that would be very hard.

According to NRL.com Whare’s last year is mutual option. Might be in his best interests to see if he can get a longer committed deal elsewhere.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/23...ignings--contracts-for-all-16-teams/#panthers

soc123_au

Staff member
I never suggested he would be struggling. I'm sure he didn't walk away from GC empty handed. I'm saying the golden handshake & the Parra contract have ZERO bearing on each other. His contract with GC was dead & buried in September. The GC from that point on are free & clear of anything to do with him in the future. If GC paid him out 200k for the sake of a figure & Parra are paying him 150k then he will have an income of 350k for the year. But that amount is from 2 seperate sources that have no part in each other arrangements. No different to if you had a regular job & drove an uber at night, the uber deal has f**k all to do with your main employer.

murraymob

Coach
The Gold Coast would not be paying parra anything but it would be smart business to pay out Bryce a percentage of his contract He had with them to move him on

Whino

Bench
That’s really interesting, because it’s always been listed as a player option in the past. Good news, hope it’s right. Even if we can’t shift him for 2021, we get that space for 2022 when we need the cap space the most.

Zero tackle has player option but surely NRL is on the money with mutual option.
Why would you have the last year of a long deal in the player's favour? It's not as if we were desperate to retain him at the time.
NRL also have Tetevano last year as a club option.

Status
Not open for further replies.