What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFrog

Coach
She may well be put off by the language barrier but who wouldn’t want to live in France for a year or two?
I spent a few months in Toulon and while its a beautiful place indeed (especially living halfway up the mountain) I was very happy to come home. Learnt a bit of French (you have little choice, not many there can speak much English) but nowhere near enough. Was expecting to run into Luke Rooney but never did. Maybe he wasn't there as it was over the summer.

If Jimmy is going to Catalans, the same will apply as its in the same part of France. There might be a few Poms and Pom WAGs in the side though, which will really help.

Agree re Luai he looks like a very natural playmaker. we should be able to keep them both considering Maloney’s price tag.

My concern is the increasing payments to retain other players.

You can’t give Luai the Maloney money until he proves himself, but there’s a chance some of that money will be swallowed up before he can.

You can’t give Luai the Maloney money until he proves himself, but there’s a chance some of that money will be swallowed up before he can.

I agree.
I dare say the recent long term upgrades to Cleary jnr, RCG, Kikau, Fish and Blake would take a bit of Maloney's wage heading forward. Most of those guys were tied up till 2019. All upgraded and extended going forward.
Merrin leaving and Tamou later on would also help planning for the future upgrades.
With Peach and CHN leaving we didn't need to find more money to upgrade them. But...
Egan will need an upgrade if he stays. Quite a bit of coin been thrown at him from a rival club atm. Thats all we before we get to Luai's future upgrades.
It all adds up I'm afraid.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
I agree.
I dare say the recent long term upgrades to Cleary jnr, RCG, Kikau, Fish and Blake would take a bit of Maloney's wage heading forward. Most of those guys were tied up till 2019. All upgraded and extended going forward.
Merrin leaving and Tamou later on would also help planning for the future upgrades.
With Peach and CHN leaving we didn't need to find more money to upgrade them. But...
Egan will need an upgrade if he stays. Quite a bit of coin been thrown at him from a rival club atm. Thats all we before we get to Luai's future upgrades.
It all adds up I'm afraid.

Which is where you get cheaper options if x player gets too overpriced

Crashtest

Juniors
I’m glad to see Segeyaro not being re-signed by the Sharks yet is cap related, and not offfield or attitude related. But still little hope of him being re-sgned if he and the Sharks are relying on them not being penalised for cap breaches.

CHICK IN SHARKS LIMBO
James Segeyaro’s hopes of remaining a Cronulla Shark will be determined by the NRL’s investigation into the club’s salary cap dealings. Cronulla faces a substantial fine and cap reduction for the next two seasons, similar to what the Manly Sea Eagles copped in recent times. Segeyaro is living in the Shire but is training on his own. New Sharks coach John Morris wants him on the roster but can’t do a deal until the cap issues have been sorted.

BxTom

Bench
I’m glad to see Segeyaro not being re-signed by the Sharks yet is cap related, and not offfield or attitude related. But still little hope of him being re-sgned if he and the Sharks are relying on them not being penalised for cap breaches.

CHICK IN SHARKS LIMBO
James Segeyaro’s hopes of remaining a Cronulla Shark will be determined by the NRL’s investigation into the club’s salary cap dealings. Cronulla faces a substantial fine and cap reduction for the next two seasons, similar to what the Manly Sea Eagles copped in recent times. Segeyaro is living in the Shire but is training on his own. New Sharks coach John Morris wants him on the roster but can’t do a deal until the cap issues have been sorted.

If he can't train with the squad, I wouldn't think it's cap related. I would not think that the cap would place restrictions so that he couldn't train with them. Anyone know for sure?

Panther Mick

Juniors
If he can't train with the squad, I wouldn't think it's cap related. I would not think that the cap would place restrictions so that he couldn't train with them. Anyone know for sure?

Robert Jennings doesn't have a contract for Souths but I believe he is still training with them.
I thought the Sharks wanted seggy gone with the younger Brailey coming through?

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

the bloke is 'far too loose' for my liking. I don't believe we either need or want him.

BxTom

Bench
the bloke is 'far too loose' for my liking. I don't believe we either need or want him.
I wonder if it is more along the lines of a 'he's not contracted so isn't required for drug testing' scenario. It seems strange if he's wanted that he isn't training with them. It looks more as though he may be being kept away from the squad.

luv my panfas

Juniors
I wonder if it is more along the lines of a 'he's not contracted so isn't required for drug testing' scenario. It seems strange if he's wanted that he isn't training with them. It looks more as though he may be being kept away from the squad.
Segeyaro thinks hes a gangster You cant put brains in statues

Such a shame about Segeyaro.

I remember watching the special feature about him on the Footy Show back in 2015 I think?

He spoke about growing up in PNG then being brought over to Australia where he was taken in by a loving family and spoke of his times at North QLD before being picked up by Penrith. It was such an inspiring story and at the time most of us here in this forum were all in awe of not only his personal story but the form that he was in during his first couple of years at Penrith. Some even called for him to be signed for life from memory.

As they say in the classics, oh how the mighty have fallen!

betcats

Referee

They won’t let Luai get away. They aren’t going to leave themselves without the money available to keep Luai.

betcats

Referee
It is good the players rate him but again we are at the stage where getting the best out of the players might not be enough.

Bellamy is great at getting guys to be consistent and do their job but look at their record without Smith or any of the big 3 infact. To win comps you need 3 or 4 class players in form. Our spine isn't there yet

I spent plenty of time near Trundle so know the area. I can't see them moving out there. Could do it as day trip though

I think there is enough talent in our spine to get us there, just depends if they can put it together this season under a new coach.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think there is enough talent in our spine to get us there, just depends if they can put it together this season under a new coach.

There is talent just not proven. Not even Nathan has proven an elite talent yet. He like most of them is on potential

franklin2323

Immortal
That is a bigger concern, we won’t lose him but we may end up overpaying.

That for me is the thing. How much is too much to have locked in your spine? Is it better to have one rep quality half with more quality around instead. No real answer to that

Kilkenny

Coach
Anyone else heard the rumor we're interested in Tigers front rower Ben Matulino?

Haven’t heard any such rumour. Bringing an aging Tim Grant back was for sentimental reasons and solid back up, bringing in another 30 year old front rower in the latter stages of his career would not be on Gould’s mind.

betcats

Referee
Haven’t heard any such rumour. Bringing an aging Tim Grant back was for sentimental reasons and solid back up, bringing in another 30 year old front rower in the latter stages of his career would not be on Gould’s mind.

I wouldn't be so sure. Ben is just what we need, if we can afford him for a year or two I think Gus would jump on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.