What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Correct. He was playing in a shit team and still managed to be our worst player.
Hard to soar like an eagle when you’re surrounded by turkeys.

He’s cost us stuff all, he’s got plenty of mates at the club, our coaches are better and above all else, he’s only signed for a year.

He’ll be fine in Reggie’s and it’s up to him to push for more.

Jane Murray

Bench
Matt Cameron is the man. As long as he is there I am happy.

Those signings are just depth. Robert Jennings has always been talented and the club has given him a lifeline. If he works out a longer deal will ensue, if not he will go. Eisenhuth is a good solid prop. An experienced value buy. Perfect for when injuries or suspensions occur.

Crichton is done deal. Announcement very soon.
Yeo, Spencer, and Luai are in the late stages of negotiations and the club is very hopeful of having them all tied up within the next 4-6 weeks or sooner.
Burton, they want to keep. They have presented a contract to him with a pathway to first grade. He is very much in the clubs plans for the future. They are still hopeful, despite all the attention he will stay.

Naden's future is up in the air at the moment.

There is someone else the club is negotiating to extend, but I won't say who yet. A nice little surprise.

Hopefully, this player is a junior too?

Last edited:

Smug Panther

First Grade
Poor Dylan. Trains all year at FB, does a more than passable job on his return chiming into back line plays, late in the season gets shunted to centre to accommodate May playing the FB role in those plays (which Ivan then broadcasts as the reason he wants May in the team) then cops the criticism for not being a legitimate centre & the play dying with him.

Is he the best ball playing FB - no. But it would have been nice to have let him try to develop that part of his game during the season rather than plonking May in the middle of it so he can start games as a makeshift centre.

Anyway, I feel that Laurie will be our longer term FB, with Staines on the wing. Not sure where that leaves Edwards as he doesn't appear explosive or creative enough for centre (I'd persevere with Naden at centre).
May was "plonked" there because Dylan isn't good enough. He's a beast but id say wing is his spot

age.s

First Grade
Well he was our defensive coach under Jason Taylor when we were horrible in defence but great in attack. Then when Cleary came he switched to attacking coach, when went to scoring at will to looking completely clueless. Maguire then switched him back to defensive coach and we now hold the record for the most consecutive games conceding 28+ points in the NRL era

We're going to finish 9th next year arent we?

Bob

Juniors
So a possible $500k for Burton and at least they admit Panthers want to keep him which lines up with what Blade has said.

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...be60e20b18a8a9217ce?__twitter_impression=true

BULLDOGS’ MIND-BLOWING OFFER TO PANTHERS STAR

The Panthers are set to ramp up their pursuit of on-contract Panthers back-up five-eighth Matt Burton when the November 1 deadline hits.

Clubs are free to talk to Burton from Sunday as he is only signed for the 2021 season and James Hooper revealed the Bulldogs are set to offer a mammoth deal.

“What I hope Penrith do is release Matt Burton because I think he deserves to play first grade every day of the week,” Wendell Sailor said on Triple M’s Origin Rumble.

“I know the Panthers have a pretty good young squad there now and I think their halves are going to be there for a long time.

“I think you have got to let him go to another club and play first grade every day of the week.”

“You raise a good point because with the Panthers there was a school of thought a couple of weeks ago that they were really going to dig their heels in,” Hooper said.

“The thought was they would be adamant that well he has signed a contract. He is here at Penrith and if Nathan Cleary or Jarome Luai gets a long-term injury next year there is an opportunity for Matt Burton to go straight into first grade.

“I think the thinking is starting to shift a little bit now and the Bulldogs are just going to blow them out of the water.

“As of November 1 they are officially allowed to sign him, so that is tomorrow. I think they are talking about offering him a contract upwards of $500,000 per season.

“That is a hell of a lot more than he is on at Penrith. I’m sure the Bulldogs will make it clear to the Panthers that he has a saloon passage straight into first grade than if he remains at the foot of the mountains and is getting held back a little bit.”
Might blow our offer off the table but the pressure on a young playmaker can ruin them, bulldogs want to start next year with Flanagan and Burton, both rookies, not an ideal scenario,

BxTom

Bench
Matt Cameron is the man. As long as he is there I am happy.

Those signings are just depth. Robert Jennings has always been talented and the club has given him a lifeline. If he works out a longer deal will ensue, if not he will go. Eisenhuth is a good solid prop. An experienced value buy. Perfect for when injuries or suspensions occur.

Crichton is done deal. Announcement very soon.
Yeo, Spencer, and Luai are in the late stages of negotiations and the club is very hopeful of having them all tied up within the next 4-6 weeks or sooner.
Burton, they want to keep. They have presented a contract to him with a pathway to first grade. He is very much in the clubs plans for the future. They are still hopeful, despite all the attention he will stay.

Naden's future is up in the air at the moment.

There is someone else the club is negotiating to extend, but I won't say who yet. A nice little surprise.
You teaser you! :)

Frankus

Juniors
Go for the pile in why don't you ?

Like everyone else I am expressing my opinion.

But of course Frankus according to you (and some others) that's not allowed.
Hi Alice, I think you misunderstood my post. I was supporting you. I was just agreeing that yes, there are a lot of people who are not particularly positive. They are the same old people it would seem. Not much has changed since I took a break from this place.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Hi Alice, I think you misunderstood my post. I was supporting you. I was just agreeing that yes, there are a lot of people who are not particularly positive. They are the same old people it would seem. Not much has changed since I took a break from this place.

I'm so sorry for the missunderstanding.

Kilkenny

Coach
Happy to see Robert come back to the club and maybe kick start his NRL career but I think the points raised by Vic & Tiger what ever were pretty valid. Robert has been some what injury prone and when he did play his form was way off. I understand he is signed for depth but surely we would be better off using his money elsewhere and just relying on a kid or two from the junior ranks. It’s done now I guess but I’m not convinced it is for the best but I hope it works out for both parties.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Happy to see Robert come back to the club and maybe kick start his NRL career but I think the points raised by Vic & Tiger what ever were pretty valid. Robert has been some what injury prone and when he did play his form was way off. I understand he is signed for depth but surely we would be better off using his money elsewhere and just relying on a kid or two from the junior ranks. It’s done now I guess but I’m not convinced it is for the best but I hope it works out for both parties.
I see it as a straight swap for MWZ and only 1 of the 2 has ever shown the ability to be a first grader

franklin2323

Immortal

What kids? We still need to have 30 players. He replaced Jed or Aekins from the end of the squad.

WestyLife

First Grade

Technically speaking he is from the junior ranks....... I'll see myself out.

mxlegend99

Referee
What kids? We still need to have 30 players. He replaced Jed or Aekins from the end of the squad.
Yep..

Out:
Malakai Watene-Zelezniak
Caleb Aekins
Jed Cartwright
Jack Hetherington
Pat Hollis
Brayden McGrady
James Tamou
Kaide Ellis

In:
Robert Jennings (fill MWZ role)
Matt Eisenhuth (fill Hetherington role)

We should be filling those roles for the same or less cap space. While still having a bunch more positions to fill with juniors.

I don't see an issue with either signing. They're so clearly experienced depth players who wont be expected to play much if at all. I see Rennings as an upgrade on MWZ at the very least. Eisenhuth might not be better than Hetherington. But i would feel more comfortable with him slotting in and not doing something that costs us.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yep..

Out:
Malakai Watene-Zelezniak
Caleb Aekins
Jed Cartwright
Jack Hetherington
Pat Hollis
Brayden McGrady
James Tamou
Kaide Ellis

In:

We should be filling those roles for the same or less cap space. While still having a bunch more positions to fill with juniors.

I don't see an issue with either signing. They're so clearly experienced depth players who wont be expected to play much if at all. I see Rennings as an upgrade on MWZ at the very least. Eisenhuth might not be better than Hetherington. But i would feel more comfortable with him slotting in and not doing something that costs us.

The issue we had at the end of the season (which I mentioned) was the lack of ready made FG.

Look at the backup backs. All were FB or wingers only or the case of Burton unproven. So having guys who can play multiple positions with experience are good signings

Smug Panther

First Grade
Yep..

Out:
Malakai Watene-Zelezniak
Caleb Aekins
Jed Cartwright
Jack Hetherington
Pat Hollis
Brayden McGrady
James Tamou
Kaide Ellis

In:

The amount of people in here who don't understand the cap is shocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.