What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings Part2

Status
Not open for further replies.

maple_69

Bench
Waterhouse had a good offload. He just lost hid head with them towards the end. Gulavao and Puletua were the best during the NRL era. Kasiano would be great.

maple_69

Bench
The Raiders are OK. They just need a new coach.

Care to explain? Their roster is aweful, culture, coach, performances, board and juniors all a rabble. They also struggle to recruit big time. They're in just as bad shape as we were 3 years ago and I can't see them changing any time soon unfortunately.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Care to explain? Their roster is aweful, culture, coach, performances, board and juniors all a rabble. They also struggle to recruit big time. They're in just as bad shape as we were 3 years ago and I can't see them changing any time soon unfortunately.

Surely roster, culture, performances are coach related. A good coach ie Bennett/ Bellemy, instil this in their club and players. They make that so-so player a serviceable first grader.

I've always found the Raiders juniors to be quite good. A look back at the last 6 years and you find that they were Minor Premiers twice ( 2008, 2013) and only missed the play-offs once (2011). Not bad for any club.

I don't know much about their board but could they be any worse than Manly, Parramatta or the Tigers!

As I said there problem is Ricky Stuart .Gus Gould wrote a good article about his coaching. He basically said that Ricky was fine at an elite level were the player were highly skilled and motivated but struggled in developing players. Look at his win loss record and you see this.

Roosters 61% ( a team Graham Murray had built)
sharks 45%
Eels 21%
NSW 44%
Australia 91%

Given good players Ricky excels but given cattle and he struggles big time.

BxTom

Bench
Surely roster, culture, performances are coach related. A good coach ie Bennett/ Bellemy, instil this in their club and players. They make that so-so player a serviceable first grader.

I've always found the Raiders juniors to be quite good. A look back at the last 6 years and you find that they were Minor Premiers twice ( 2008, 2013) and only missed the play-offs once (2011). Not bad for any club.

I don't know much about their board but could they be any worse than Manly, Parramatta or the Tigers!

As I said there problem is Ricky Stuart .Gus Gould wrote a good article about his coaching. He basically said that Ricky was fine at an elite level were the player were highly skilled and motivated but struggled in developing players. Look at his win loss record and you see this.

Roosters 61% ( a team Graham Murray had built)
sharks 45%
Eels 21%
NSW 44%
Australia 91%

Given good players Ricky excels but given cattle and he struggles big time.

In effect, all that is saying is that he can manage a team that does not require any coaching...

Tom.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Not quite. Gus mentioned that he was good with structured attack and defence. But was unable to develop players.

The article was a good read, but I can't find it on-line. I assume it's behind a pay wall. He wrote it for the Sun Herald 12 to 18 months ago.

soc123_au

Staff member
I reckon most of us on here could coach Australia to a better percentage than that. Arguably the Roosters of that time period as well.

mxlegend99

Referee
There's absolutely no coaching at all required in winning for Australia. It takes an effort to get them to ever lose a game.

We never even pick our best teams and typically still manage to win. Stuart is deadset shit at every level. This dickhead didn't want Jarryd Hayne in his NSW team because he saw him as a 5/8 and not a fullback or winger. Nevermind the fact that Hayne was our best player in every series he played.

He's only remotely successful at rep level because he doesn't have time to have any actual impact on his teams... and usually has players of ridiculous talent and quality that there's no coaching to be done anyway. Games tend to be won on the back of these freakish players.

maple_69

Bench
Honestly I thought he was a decent fit for the Blues. He took us from being no chance to going inches from winning with pretty much the same pool of players. I think the mental side is whats important in Origin, especially when you're up against the greatest side in history.
I still think the Raiders issues run deeper than Stuart. They were certainly there before Stuart. I think I read a stat saying they're the only team never to finish in the top 4 or maybe it was make a prelim in the NRL era. There juniors are outstanding but look what becomes of them. They drink, assault someone, leave or all 3. Their board is an old boys club like those you mentioned. Maybe they're no worse but the Eels, Tigers and Manly aren't much of a benchmark.
I just think they have too Manu fundamental problems to succeed in the short to medium term. As we did they need a complete overhaul. If I was a player I wouldn't go there for any money. Low chance of furthering your career there for a young bloke like Mabsour. If he goes to the right club he could be an Origin player. Canberra..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts