What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings Part2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
In the DT article re Packer, Cleary seems to be the one keen on him but Gus feels his previous attempts at rehabilitating wayward NRL players (Tuamata etc) has failed and is not worth the risk.

For me, I think we would be better off searching elsewhere . Packer will have been in prison for two years so his condition will be well down. I prefer a team of honest toilers and a continuation of the zero dickheads policy.

Kilkenny

Coach
Two year sentence with 12 months non parole so he is out in January no doubt.

Look what Russell Packer did was way worse that all Todd Carneys indiscretions combined as far as I am concerned but all you ask for from the games administrators is consistency.

The issues with Arana, James Roberts etc were largely misdemeanors and a combination of lots of less serious indiscretions.

Russell made a huge mistake, massive, but do you rub him out totally or do you give the guy a second chance. Everyone makes mistakes in life, some bigger than other no doubt.

I'm not saying I want him to come to our club but if he did well give the guy the benefit of the doubt and see what eventuates. If he stuffs up again well he only have himself to blame and his career would be over.

maple_69

Bench
I rated him as a player. I don't think he should be wiped and I'm sure some club will take the punt but given what the whole administration is trying to build at Penrith I don't think he is worth the risk for us.

Karnivayne

Juniors
I feel the club has done remarkably well to achieve a really good image in the past 3 years why would they jeopordise all that for one underdone forward.

Making mistakes is one thing stomping on a guys head after you have already repeatedly punched the living shit out of him is another thing, oh and lets not forget him urinating on the field, the guy is garbage.

If you want a big, destructive forward, Mose Masoe is the way to go, He was devastating when running the ball, could offload and the majority of the fans loved him.

maple_69

Bench
Hopefully given the circumstances he left in, Mose knows he is welcome back at Penrith when he's done with his experience overseas. Next year would be ideal but the year after Kite and Plum will be completely out of the picture so he'd still be a great pickup.

franklin2323

Immortal
I put what Packer did under Lui etc.... Yet they all play. As for Penrith Cherrington & Wes play. Hell we even put Vaivai in a White ribbon jersey.

Blues Riff

Bench
I'm not 100% against the idea of Packer. He will have serve his time. His recruitment would have to come with a GENUINE high profile anti-violence campaign to preserve the club's integrity. He would have to rebuild his own reputation. This would take time and would not be easy for him. In short, he would have to be a changed man. If he can convince Gus, then I'm open to it.
Masoe, well I'd be surprised if he wasn't on Gus's speed dial. I'm sure whatever can be done will be done.

ashton

Juniors
Cleary wanted to sign Packer last year before he joined the Knights.

I think we need both Masoe and Packer for 2015.

You have to wonder how much we still have left in the cap for 2015 because Grant has gone and McKendrys contract has been reduced as a long serving player.

MrBlack

Juniors
If we sign Packer that's the end of the 'no dickheads' policy - The guy is a germ on and off the field.

Who said we have a "no dickheads" policy ??

We have signed our fair share of them in recent years. Last year we were pinning our hops on signing Tod Carney.

Maybe our problem is that we have no dickheads in the front row right now.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah ok fair enough - Lets sign Packer - I'm sure he'll be a great role model...

I think he will be deported BUT if he's not. Should he be never to be signed? When there's plenty of players with far worse history going around.

He could be used to tell kids even a simple bar fight can land you in jail etc. So it can have it's benefits

ACTPanthers

Bench
Ok - It's apparent that I'm in the minority - IMO if you come close to killing someone because you cant control your anger you have forfeited any right to special treatment, and IMO, an NRL contract is special treatment - I'm not saying the guy cant work, but I'm sure he can survive laboring

And as a parent, I can honestly say I wouldn't want him giving any advice to my kids.

franklin2323

Immortal
Ok - It's apparent that I'm in the minority - IMO if you come close to killing someone because you cant control your anger you have forfeited any right to special treatment, and IMO, an NRL contract is special treatment - I'm not saying the guy cant work, but I'm sure he can survive laboring

And as a parent, I can honestly say I wouldn't want him giving any advice to my kids.

Robert Lui bashing his woman twice is far worse imo. Yet he's still playing

As a parent you can give your kids the advise what if none have a father and a doing the stuff he did?

ACTPanthers

Bench
Robert Lui bashing his woman twice is far worse imo. Yet he's still playing

As a parent you can give your kids the advise what if none have a father and a doing the stuff he did?

You bring up Lui but I have never said I agree with him having an NRL contract either

I'd prefer a person who keeps their nose clean in the first place giving the advice, but that might just be me....

Status
Not open for further replies.