What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings Part2

Status
Not open for further replies.

betcats

Referee
Please stop compairing him to a soldier. He was getting paid good money to play a game ffs, he isnt sacrificing anything for anyone by being an NRL player, he was privileged to be in his position.

Last edited:

Pomoz

Bench
betcats, only you can answer if you are being judgemental. I don't think not wanting to sign him is heartless, but some of the accompanying comments from people make you glad that lynching is illegal.

In respect of the fitness side, if anybody here has ever been to a prison they might be able to be back me up on this. I did a spell guarding a prison during my army service and because they didn't have much to do, a lot of them weight trained and did fitness work all day long. A lot of them were built like front rowers and were enormous. There were some scary looking dudes and I was glad I had a rifle with me at all times. I suspect Packer might be quite good physical condition if he has coped with his situation mentally and knuckled down.

It is easier not to sign him and less risk for all of the reasons you mention. I suspect it will be Gould's conversation with sponsors and how they feel about us signing an ex-con which will probably be the deciding factor. Its hard enough getting sponsors as it is, without getting them offside by signing convicted violent criminals.

Pomoz

Bench
Please stop compairing him to a soldier. He was getting paid good money to play a game ffs, he isnt sacrificing anything for anyone by being an NRL player, he was privileged to be in his position.
The comparison is only in respect of being asked to be aggressive and physically dominant. Even though it is in the context of a game, his aggression would have been lauded by coaches and encouraged. That can blow up in your face, as it obviously has here.

franklin2323

Immortal
The fact you and I didn't let the training make us aggressive outside of the army doesn't mean that that scenario doesn't occur. I witnessed plenty of explosions of violence from people like Packer who didn't have the self control and I'm sure you did. The fact that previously those same men were being asked to show aggression and if needed fight for their lives, means that it sometimes spills over into civilian life. Why be surprised by it? I'm sure if Packer was an accountant his aggressive tendencies would be more suppressed and he would probably wear glasses.

Since I have been a labourer for several years myself and come from a family of construction workers, I have no negative views of being a labourer apart from its physically tough and doesn't pay that well. It was your view that it was below that of an NRL player, not mine and you want to limit his income and punish him a second time.

Who are we to decide what his job should be because he committed a crime?

Exactly. For him to get parole he has to do programs inside so the counsellors will be doing work with him.

It would be close to the same program other's have done and kept playing.

Like I said the same people that thought Lewis and Jennings were abad influence and had to go are making the decision. Many here didn't agree with that either

betcats

Referee
The comparison is only in respect of being asked to be aggressive and physically dominant. Even though it is in the context of a game, his aggression would have been lauded by coaches and encouraged. That can blow up in your face, as it obviously has here.

Even still he isnt being trained to kill or fight. I understand what you are getting at with his aggression but it seems like you want us to be more lenient because he is a footy player.

If being a footy player has is some way lead to him attacking someone like he did, going back to footy after being in prison probably isnt a good idea.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
betcats, only you can answer if you are being judgemental. I don't think not wanting to sign him is heartless, but some of the accompanying comments from people make you glad that lynching is illegal.

In respect of the fitness side, if anybody here has ever been to a prison they might be able to be back me up on this. I did a spell guarding a prison during my army service and because they didn't have much to do, a lot of them weight trained and did fitness work all day long. A lot of them were built like front rowers and were enormous. There were some scary looking dudes and I was glad I had a rifle with me at all times. I suspect Packer might be quite good physical condition if he has coped with his situation mentally and knuckled down.

It is easier not to sign him and less risk for all of the reasons you mention. I suspect it will be Gould's conversation with sponsors and how they feel about us signing an ex-con which will probably be the deciding factor. Its hard enough getting sponsors as it is, without getting them offside by signing convicted violent criminals.

I worked as a prision guard pretty much all they do is fitness stuff. Matagi did time as did Mau. Wicks is due to be released and also being chased. Other sports NFL, EPL etc have ex-crims playing so it's not a RL only thing

ACTPanthers

Bench
The fact you and I didn't let the training make us aggressive outside of the army doesn't mean that that scenario doesn't occur. I witnessed plenty of explosions of violence from people like Packer who didn't have the self control and I'm sure you did. The fact that previously those same men were being asked to show aggression and if needed fight for their lives, means that it sometimes spills over into civilian life. Why be surprised by it? I'm sure if Packer was an accountant his aggressive tendencies would be more suppressed and he would probably wear glasses.

Since I have been a labourer for several years myself and come from a family of construction workers, I have no negative views of being a labourer apart from it's physically tough and doesn't pay that well. It was your view that it was below that of an NRL player, not mine and you want to limit his income and punish him a second time.

Who are we to decide what his job should be because he committed a crime?

No I never saw that as a result of our training - We're taught to react to scenarios in a measured and tactical way - Its called training - Not sure about the soldiers you served with, but the ones I did, were professionals and took our duty very seriously.

In monetary value, it is below an NRL player, but I never said it was only a job for crims - I also worked as a landscape laborer before my service

Pomoz

Bench
No I never saw that as a result of our training - We're taught to react to scenarios in a measured and tactical way - Its called training - Not sure about the soldiers you served with, but the ones I did, were professionals and took our duty very seriously.

In monetary value, it is below an NRL player, but I never said it was only a job for crims - I also worked as a landscape laborer before my service
I am sure they were all very professional and you went to church and did poetry readings to orphaned children in your spare time. The people I served with were young, highly trained and laid down their life for their country, some of them on numerous occasions. But they were still only human and some of them went off the rails from time to time.

I think you may be viewing your service with rose tinted spectacles. To suggest that squaddies fighting and getting into trouble outside the army is because they are unprofessional and poorly trained is not true in my experience. The army is full of men in their late teens and early twenties, very fit and full of testosterone (the parallels with league is remarkable). The army by its very nature attracts a lot of aggressive types (as does league for that matter). It has nothing to do with taking your duty seriously. I'm not sure if you saw any active service, but I did and afterwards I witnessed first hand the overspill of aggression into civilian life as soldiers struggled to turn off the aggression.

ACTPanthers

Bench
I am sure they were all very professional and you went to church and did poetry readings to orphaned children in your spare time. The people I served with were young, highly trained and laid down their life for their country, some of them on numerous occasions. But they were still only human and some of them went off the rails from time to time.

I think you may be viewing your service with rose tinted spectacles. To suggest that squaddies fighting and getting into trouble outside the army is because they are unprofessional and poorly trained is not true in my experience. The army is full of men in their late teens and early twenties, very fit and full of testosterone (the parallels with league is remarkable). The army by its very nature attracts a lot of aggressive types (as does league for that matter). It has nothing to do with taking your duty seriously. I'm not sure if you saw any active service, but I did and afterwards I witnessed first hand the overspill of aggression into civilian life as soldiers struggled to turn off the aggression.

No need to be a smart arse - And yes some went off the rails from time to time, but my point is, it's not the training that caused it, it was the individual mixed with alcohol - The individual would've been aggressive in nature before joining the Military, not trained that way - I see your points mate, I really do, I just don't necessarily agree with all of them regarding the training aspects - And just to raise a point on the comparison, if I were to get into a scrap on the piss when I was serving, and was arrested and thrown in jail for 1 to 2 years, do you expect I'd still have an Army career to go back to? I'd say probably not, unless I was really persuasive in the show cause.

And yes, I saw active service and suffer from PTSD as a result of injuries sustained whilst serving - I would, however, never blame my service as a cause for mistakes made on the piss.

Pomoz

Bench
And yes, I saw active service and suffer from PTSD as a result of injuries sustained whilst serving - I would, however, never blame my service as a cause for mistakes made on the piss.
Come on ACT, have a sense of humour, you did sort of hint that maybe you were surrounded by professionals and I was used to amateurs. That was worthy of a tongue poke, no offence intended.

I am sorry to hear you have PTSD, as an ex-serviceman I know how service takes a toll on you. I still wake up sweating thinking I'm being chased by terrorists and I left the army 27 years ago. My knees are rooted from tabbing with heavy packs and my hearing is not the best, from all the explosions and gun fire.

I wasn't trying to blame anybody or anything for Packer's actions. I was merely pointing out how to a large extent he is a product of his environment.

Last edited:

ACTPanthers

Bench
Come on ACT, have a sense of humour, you did sort of hint that maybe you were surrounded by professionals and I was used to amateurs. That was worthy of a tongue poke, no offence intended.

I am sorry to hear you have PTSD, as an ex-serviceman I know how service takes a toll on you. I still wake up sweating thinking I'm being chased by terrorists and I left the army 27 years ago. My knees are rooted from tabbing with heavy packs and my hearing is not the best, rom all the explosions and gun fire.

I wasn't trying to blame anybody or anything for Packer's actions. I was merely pointing out how to a large extent he is a product of his environment.

Ha ha yeah sorry mate, I may have taken that a bit too seriously :)

And yep, I don't think waking up, screaming because I'm re-living my injury in my sleep will ever go away to be honest.

Like I said, I see where you're coming from - I just think these people need to take some of the responsibility on their own shoulders and not blame environment and upbringing etc.

Sime_11

Juniors
back on topic, would anyone consider Andrew Fifita??? (right price of course)

whats his situation with Cronulla currently? I dont recall him re-signing with them after the Canterbury saga.

edit - Sorry, just realised he did extend with Cronulla, never mind

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
We are paying Mckendry a similar amount arent we? lol. Not the the figure the Dogs offered but the sharkies contract. Timmy as well....

Sime_11

Juniors
wat about Tolman? im assumin he prob still has a few years at Canterbury. did they offer him overs when he joined from melbourne?

Abacus

Juniors
I understand that we need props for 2015 but I'll be just as happy if the next club announcement us that DWZ, Cartwright, Peachey & Moylan have extended beyond 2015. 1 November is sneaking up on us.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
I read the other day that the Broncos are negotiating to extend Macquires contract. That could lead to Hannett and one of their other front rowers being available. Sorry can't rember his name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts