What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings Part2

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisD

Coach
I would think Grant's money would have factored into our resignings as well though, and most the rest of those players leaving would be on the near minimum and need replacing by another contract to make up the numbers. One can hope though, but Merrin's value would have to be right up there.

maple_69

Bench
Of course our salary cap space will be moderated by the need to upgrade our juniors from here.
The fact is at the moment we haven't nailed our pack. I seriously rate Anderson as a guy that could be a starting prop for us for years. Comparing him to Merrin though? Merrin has the offload and qualities NO other player we have has. Will we be fine without him. Yep. Will he improve our side. Yep.

MaxPower

Juniors
Russell Packer seeks redemption as a role model — if NRL allows
THE AUSTRALIAN SEPTEMBER 20, 2014 12:00AM
Print
Save for later
Brent Read

Senior Sports Writer
Sydney

IGNORE for a moment the coaches and officials who may have something to gain by recruiting a player with Russell Packer’s unquestionable talent.

Instead, listen to the judge who sentenced Packer to 12 months’ jail for an attack he himself described as cowardly and reprehensible.

The same judge who claimed Packer could become a role model and ambassador for all athletes on his exit from prison.

“I also recognise there is attached considerable ignominy attaching to his fall,” judge Chris Hoy said in April this year.

“A high-profile sportsman and now a high-profile offender. Sadly it comes with the territory in whatever field — sport, politics, business, entertainment and media.

“With the greatest respect, there is nothing exceptional about the present case. Whatever the result may be, Mr Packer now has an opportunity to be a greater role model.

“He can now be an ambassador for other sportsmen and young people who are challenged by the ravages of alcohol and substance abuse. He can demonstrate his rehabilitation and reform and I would hope re-establish himself not only with his sporting endeavours but as a true leader in our community.

“That is in his hands, and how he responds to those challenges.”

Packer still has more than three months to serve before he is eligible for parole. As it stands, he spends his days and nights behind bars, locked away from his wife, Lara, and their young children, paying a hefty price for a moment of alcohol-fuelled violence that will shadow him for the rest of his life.

Yet Packer is also being wooed by rugby league royalty despite the distinct possibility the NRL will forbid him from returning to the game when his prison term comes to an end in January.

The natural urge is to ask why? Why would the likes of Wayne Bennett and Ivan Cleary pursue Packer with such vigour, given his recent past?

The answer goes beyond talent alone. Sure, Packer can play, but those who know him see an opportunity for redemption for an athlete whose past is disturbing even by rugby league’s remarkable standards.

“We like what he brings on the field,” Bennett said. “That’s why we’re all chasing him. He will have to win everybody’s confidence back. No matter what club he goes to, there will obviously be a lot of rules around his behaviour.

“But I don’t fear for that with him because he is not a mug. This guy is not someone who doesn’t get it. He gets it. His demon is always going to be the alcohol.

“He has been alcohol-free for 12 months when he gets out of jail. Hopefully it gives him the courage to go on and remain in that state because it is obviously the thing that brought him undone.”

Packer’s story beggars belief. In his appeal, the District Court of NSW heard evidence that he was brought up in a small town on the North Island of New Zealand where his mother and father had difficulties due to mental illness and substance abuse.

He was surrounded by violence, abuse, threats and aggression. There was also alcohol. Lots of it. By the age of 12, Packer was consuming 18 cans in a session as well as bourbon.

Somehow, despite the insurmountable odds, he was a contender for dux of his high school and managed to forge a rugby league career and a loving relationship.

Alcohol, however, continued to shadow him. At the end of last season, his life having descended into a “dark and self-destructive phase due to injuries and emotional difficulties”, Packer and his young family made the decision to escape their past.

He, Lara and two children packed up and left New Zealand to link with Bennett at Newcastle.

“He came to the Knights because he wanted to play with me,” Bennett said. “He stipulated the condition that he wanted to play under (me). He thought I could help his game, to get him to the level he knew he hadn’t been playing at.

“He knew he had an ordinary season that year prior to coming to the Knights. I was keen to do that, I wanted to do that.

“I saw him as a guy who hadn’t achieved as much as he could in the game, like I saw in Michael Weyman when I went to the Dragons.

“So that still hasn’t been fulfilled, that part of me and that part of him.”

Bennett’s knowledge of Packer is limited. The pair met in person only once — over breakfast prior to the start of Newcastle’s pre-season training. It was enough for Bennett to realise there was more to Packer than meets the eye.

“It’s a bit like when he went to prison,” Bennett said. “He told me everyone asked him what Wayne Bennett was like. He told them ‘I don’t know’. He said: ‘I only had a breakfast with him one morning.’

“I am the same. There is not a lot of detail I can tell you about Russell. We both went to breakfast one morning in Newcastle and I didn’t see him after that.

“I saw him the day that the incident went before the court but that’s as much as we have had to do with each other, other than a few conversations since he has been in jail.

“I like him. He is a man. I was looking forward to working with him. He was easy to communicate with and knows what he is about.”

Unfortunately, their working relationship never got off the ground. Packer made the mistake of catching up with some old friends and letting alcohol back into his life.

An incident outside a hotel in Sydney’s CBD ended with Packer stomping on a man’s face. The details were disturbing. Packer’s retaliation was excessive according to Hoy.

However, as critical as he was of Packer, Hoy also saw the good in the 24-year-old, lauding the way he cherished his relationship with his wife and children.

He also made it clear that out of the darkness, an opportunity has arisen. As part of his incarceration, Packer has been forced to undergo rehabilitation and complete courses, including a young offenders program.

“I have visited him on a number of occasions, I speak to him weekly. I see the remorse and hear the remorse in him,” former Newcastle recruitment manager Peter Mulholland said.

“I have seen all sides of Russell. I saw him as a 15-year-old kid when I tried to sign him and he was rough. (Former Canberra forward) David Lomax recommended him to me at 15 when he was playing with the Central Vipers.

“I chased him down and other clubs did the same. He is a wonderful dad and I have seen that with his wife and kids the whole way through.

“You don’t get that support and ongoing support from an intelligent and highly respected family like the one Lara comes from if you’re not a good person, if you’re not a good husband, if you’re not a good dad.

“He is inherently a very, very, very good person. I don’t care where he goes as long as he goes as the person he can be. That’s what he is about. This is not about Russell Packer a player.

“This is about Russell Packer a human being, a person who has made a mistake, that has worked hard to correct the demons in his life and has done it away from a loving wife and two beautiful kids.”

When Packer does leave prison, there will be hurdles to jump. He could be deported by the Immigration Department. The NRL is likely to step in, with the distinct possibility he will be banned for a further 12 months. Bennett is among those who believe that may be too onerous.

Packer has already paid a huge price by being locked up, cut off from his family and football. It raises the spectre of being punished twice for the same incident. Those who know Packer say he is committed to turning his life around.

“He is employable, he should be allowed to get on with his life,” Bennett said. “He should be able to get on with his career. The other thing with these guys is they only have a short time in their life to pursue their careers. It doesn’t go on for 50 years this career. It will go on for a decade at most.”

The NRL will make the final call. Perhaps they should take heed of Hoy, who made it clear he had no desire to take away Packer’s opportunity to earn a living because he saw a rare opportunity in the Test forward.

“I made some comments there about an opportunity for you to be a greater role model,” he said. “I emphasise that I see that potential in you, sir, from what I have read, what I have seen, aside from all these matters. It is a matter for you whether you can carry that out.

“Do you understand that?”

Packer replied: “Yeah I understand.”

He’s hoping the NRL does as well.

kiwipete

Juniors
I'm a fan of Anderson and want him as our starting prop playing 70- 80mins next year but he's not as good as Merrin. Not even close

Rumoured that Anderson is re-signing for another year. Reckon he'll be one of the leaders in our aging pack next year.Has shown in his 3 games that he is definately up to NRL standard, handled Sam Moa last game without a problem.Got what it takes to be another Matt Scott if given the chance IMO.

martielang

Bench
Anderson value for money (which we seem to look at) is a better get then Merrin IMO. Merrin has been pretty stock standard with the occasional good game over the last two years.

Like others, Anderson would be my starting prop in 2015.

Panther Pete

Juniors
Not one quote from anyone at Penrith in that article.

Ivan has indicated previously he believes Packer should be given a second chance after he serves his punishment. If that article is accurate I would have thought Packer would have felt obliged to repay Newcastle for looking after his family whilst inside. That is of course if they decide to offer him a contract.

maple_69

Bench
Yeah I understand Ivans opinion of him but this article is not adding new news. It's drawing lines between dots still at this point.

MrAnonymous

Bench
Rumoured that Anderson is re-signing for another year. Reckon he'll be one of the leaders in our aging pack next year.Has shown in his 3 games that he is definately up to NRL standard, handled Sam Moa last game without a problem.Got what it takes to be another Matt Scott if given the chance IMO.

Settle down mate. He's decent but not that good.

Are you related to Sam Anderson ? all your post are only about him, your dick riding is irritating.

maple_69

Bench
Great news. Hopefully for an increased sum. Theyll certainly get their value. Awesome that we never seem to have problems attracting sponsors and they stick around long term.

Panther Pete

Juniors
oak our major sponsor has signed on for another 3 years

It is good news, I was at the open training session when that was announced last night (they had a great turn out to watch the firsts have an opposed session with the NSW cup side). Oak must love the exposure I assume Gus gets them on Channel Nine news all the time.

franklin2323

Immortal
Great news. Hopefully for an increased sum. Theyll certainly get their value. Awesome that we never seem to have problems attracting sponsors and they stick around long term.

Either way they are staying that's the main thing. Hardly a surprise given the exposure they are getting now. Even without NRL NYC playing on GF day helped. As will NSW Cup doing the same

Sime_11

Juniors
dont think much of him tbh, would rather Anderson & RCG get a spot in FG instead.

is Cherrington still with us? is he a Prop or 2nd Row?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts