What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings Part2

Status
Not open for further replies.

maple_69

Bench
We have Cartwright, Taylor and Peachey as our long term starting backrow. Brown a lock for bench long term and Idris potentially as our impact player. Chris Smith will be ready sometime next year I think. I think we have the quality in the backrow to cover losing Docker with BMM as depth.

This would be a beast pack to go into the start of next year or end of this year.
Merrin
Segeyaro
Mckendry
Cartwright
Peachey
Taylor
Koroisau
Idris
Brown
Anderson

ammatt

Juniors
We have Cartwright, Taylor and Peachey as our long term starting backrow. Brown a lock for bench long term and Idris potentially as our impact player. Chris Smith will be ready sometime next year I think. I think we have the quality in the backrow to cover losing Docker with BMM as depth.

This would be a beast pack to go into the start of next year or end of this year.
Merrin
Segeyaro
Mckendry
Cartwright
Peachey
Taylor
Koroisau
Idris
Brown
Anderson
Could also add Yeo to that list as he is seen on here as more of a forward than a back. Either way we are very strong in the second row / lock area

Puntastic

Juniors
Comes down to the six figures.

Was a lot of talk that the numbers floating around were purely because Merrin had been unhappy/were intended by his manager to inflate his salary.

If he honestly wants those numbers then he probably has an ego that Penrith doesn't want.

I doubt Gus or Ivan would pay overs, but the numbers in the papers were definitely inflated.

I do think, however, that Penrith need a Merrin more than a Docker/Manu at this point in time.

I'd be happy to hear he has signed presumably because he wants to win a comp, because I know Penrith aren't in the game of paying overs.

That said how long has Merrin served at St Merge? Does he qualify for their long service cap exemption? I assume St George can't pay part of his contract if he leaves? Edit: I assume St Merge cannot pay for Merrin as part of their marquee allowance, same as we payed for Jenko under our cap?

Last edited:

martielang

Bench
I agree, I cant see us throwing $800k at him. But in saying that, front rower is a position we're currently weak in and no doubt Clearly/Gould know this and may be willing to pay short term overs for a player who will dramatically improve our chances of winning the comp and help us to becoming a dominant force.

I also think the Panthers as a club is a desired destination for players at the moment, especially for players wanting to win Premierships and play higher level football (as opposed to solely wanting the $$$), so we should have some pull that way.

martielang

Bench
Merrin is a massive upgrade on both Manu and Docker who will both be fringe players at best. Its a no brainer IMO.

murraymob

Coach
gould off loaded Grant because he felt he was on to much.Just cant see him then going after merrin at the prices being thrown around.And it should be pointed out that a trade will only happen if he comes this year.He is a free agent 2016 so can go where he wants.We should just wait

mxlegend99

Referee
gould off loaded Grant because he felt he was on to much.Just cant see him then going after merrin at the prices being thrown around.And it should be pointed out that a trade will only happen if he comes this year.He is a free agent 2016 so can go where he wants.We should just wait

Why wait? Our 2015 team would be better with Merrin in it ahead of eith Docker or Manu.

Docker shouldn't be near our full strength side, and Manu should be a front rower. Due to lack of quality in that position, he could offer something at full strength. But not enough to miss out on Merrin.

8. Merrin
10. Mckendry

14/15. Latimore, BMM, Anderson, RCG etc.

Obviously Kite gets a spot, but really with those available he should be phased out sooner rather than later

greynurse

Juniors
Why wait? Our 2015 team would be better with Merrin in it ahead of eith Docker or Manu.

Docker shouldn't be near our full strength side, and Manu should be a front rower. Due to lack of quality in that position, he could offer something at full strength. But not enough to miss out on Merrin.

8. Merrin
10. Mckendry

14/15. Latimore, BMM, Anderson, RCG etc.

Obviously Kite gets a spot, but really with those available he should be phased out sooner rather than later

I like Latu. I think he performs, like he did late last year, and in the trail. I think he could be Cleary's choice before Anderson and RCG. He might be the Mose replacement Ivan is looking for.IMO.

MaxPower

Juniors
If we can get Merrin this season we should. We will lose Manu and/or Docker next season anyway. Regarding Anderson, I don't think he will end up as anything more than a fringe first grader.

chrisD

Coach
This really can't be happening, Merrin for Docker... and the Dragons and their fans actually think they're getting a deal... it's just too good to be true.

franklin2323

Immortal
This really can't be happening, Merrin for Docker... and the Dragons and their fans actually think they're getting a deal... it's just too good to be true.

Dude the only place that is reporting it is the DT.... So it will all be total lies

martielang

Bench
I like Latu. I think he performs, like he did late last year, and in the trail. I think he could be Cleary's choice before Anderson and RCG. He might be the Mose replacement Ivan is looking for.IMO.

I agree re; Latu. Great player who was hampered by injuries last year.

Wouldn't surprise me if he grabs a bench spot.

I don't think you compare Merrin and Grant situation. Grant is a good front rower, but a front rower in a mould which is easy to develop and who we have plenty of. Wasn't worth the coin. Merrin is a tackle breaking FR with a great offload and great footwork. Hard to come by. He comes into our side, our side improves out of sight.

Fibroman

First Grade
I agree re; Latu. Great player who was hampered by injuries last year.

Wouldn't surprise me if he grabs a bench spot.

I don't think you compare Merrin and Grant situation. Grant is a good front rower, but a front rower in a mould which is easy to develop and who we have plenty of. Wasn't worth the coin. Merrin is a tackle breaking FR with a great offload and great footwork. Hard to come by. He comes into our side, our side improves out of sight.

I'm a massive Docker fan, but simply for the entertainment factor. Docker and/or Sika Manu won't win you a premiership. Merrin has the X-factor that we need in attack. Imagine Merrin and McKenry both in form and injury free? Puts a big dent in a defensive line.

franklin2323

Immortal
I'm a massive Docker fan, but simply for the entertainment factor. Docker and/or Sika Manu won't win you a premiership. Merrin has the X-factor that we need in attack. Imagine Merrin and McKenry both in form and injury free? Puts a big dent in a defensive line.

Merrin as a player yes but at $700k not sure it's worth it.

soc123_au

Staff member
Depends how confident Gus is of keeping Peachey beyond this year. Peachy, Cartwright & Merrin in the same pack would be great, but if Peachy is gone then Merrin & Cartwright at least still gives us options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts